GDB not working for me

Anthony DiRenzo
I cross compiled one of our application libraries and its corresponding test software and downloaded it to the Gumstix environment. The test code generates a segmentation fault.

In order to trace that problem I need to use the GNU debugger in Gumstix. I cross compiled gdb and also downloaded it to the Gumstix environment.

Initially the debugger complained that I was missing a library, libncurses.so.5.6. I found multiple files with that name in my Buildroot subdirectories. After downloading the ncurses library from those directories the debugger still won’t run for me. I get an illegal operation in each case.

Can anyone suggest the options to choose in the Buildroot scripts? I haven’t exhausted all the combinations yet but I feel I am spinning my wheels and getting nowhere with this.

Re: GDB not working for me

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Anthony DiRenzo wrote
  In order to trace that problem I need to use the GNU debugger in Gumstix. I cross compiled gdb and also downloaded it to the Gumstix environment.

  Initially the debugger complained that I was missing a library, libncurses.so.5.6. I found multiple files with that name in my Buildroot subdirectories. After downloading the ncurses library from those directories the debugger still won’t run for me. I get an illegal operation in each case.

  Can anyone suggest the options to choose in the Buildroot scripts? I haven’t exhausted all the combinations yet but I feel I am spinning my wheels and getting nowhere with this.
Anthony, if I remember correctly, GDB can be built as a stand-alone app to run
on the Gumstix, or as a client-server arrangement with the user interface on
the host platform and the backend on the Gumstix. I was able to get the
GDB client-server to work OK, if I remember correctly. So if you tried the
standalone GDB before, I'll recommend you try the client-server. It is an
option in make menuconfig, iirc.

Hope this helps,

Robert Dodier