Quantcast

Future of OMAP processors

Sriram Sundararajan

Came across this in the news.
http://newscenter.ti.com/2012-11-14-TI-to-reduce-costs-in-Wireless-business-OMAP-processors-and-wireless-connectivity-solutions-will-focus-on-embedded-markets

What are your thoughts on this? There are two possible outcomes
  1. TI is really getting out of the OMAP market. In this case I am worried. Do SOM manufacturers like Gumstix have a fallback plan? Even if demands would be met for the next 4-5 years, developers might have to start looking at alternate options.
  2. TI is only leaving the mobile devices market and is refocusing on embedded systems with longer life cycles as the press release seems to indicate. This could be good news for the non-mobile embedded market.

Re: Future of OMAP processors

Greg Kogut
I read it as 2.

In any case there are alternatives, like Freescale and Tegra.

Greg

What are your thoughts on this? There are two possible outcomes
  1. TI is really getting out of the OMAP market. In this case I am worried. Do SOM manufacturers like Gumstix have a fallback plan? Even if demands would be met for the next 4-5 years, developers might have to start looking at alternate options.
  2. TI is only leaving the mobile devices market and is refocusing on embedded systems with longer life cycles as the press release seems to indicate. This could be good news for the non-mobile embedded market.

Re: Future of OMAP processors

JamesAng
I also felt that it should be case 2.

I've yet to find a Tegra COM as compact as Gumstix and with large pool of FOSS community working on it.

Re: Future of OMAP processors

William Hue
Sorry if my response to this thread comes a bit late, but here is what I told a client who asked about the future of OMAP and Gumstix:

My interpretation of this new strategy is that OMAP processors will be marketted even more so to the industrial and embedded control/monitoring sectors than ever before.  This is exactly where Gumstix plays.  OMAP processors started off being exclusive to the mobile wireless/PDA/tablet makers, and only became a standard catalogue offering available to the general public after a few years of having their run with the likes of Ericsson and Nokia.  T.I. now plans to turns its marketting focus away from the phone makers and towards the "microcontroller" and "machine to machine" market, in my opinion.

This is good for Gumstix users!