Quantcast

Formatting 8gb SD card on Gumstix

hobbesc7
I flash my Gumstix image to NAND, and use the SD card slot only for storage.

I'm having trouble formatting an 8gb SD card on the Gumstix itself.  I want to format the card w FAT32 so it's readable on a Windows machine.

After partitioning and formatting with mkfs.vfat, I end up with a 1GB card.  I bitbaked the latest dosfsutils and put that on my Gumstix, and now mkfs.vfat produces a 2GB card, but still not 8GB.

If I format the card on a PC, either Linux or Windows, and put the card back in the Gumstix, it reads as 8GB.  But I want to be able to partition and format cards directly on the Gumstix itself, for recovery purposes.

Has anyone tried this and had success?

Re: Formatting 8gb SD card on Gumstix

hobbesc7
The kernel on the gumstix (3.6) sees the SD card geometry differently than the kernel on my linux PC (2.6):

[root@linux ~]# sfdisk -g /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb: 1021 cylinders, 247 heads, 62 sectors/track

root@sbc:~# sfdisk -g /dev/mmcblk0
/dev/mmcblk0: 244448 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track

I'm not sure if this is the source of my problem.