Quantcast

Firestorm Y - where on earth is my Bluetooth adapter???

Firestorm Y - where on earth is my Bluetooth adapter???

enki
I am attempting to setup bluetooth on an Overo Firestorm Y COM and having difficulties.  Using an open embedded build based on this 3.18 kernel with all patches and the defconfig.

  meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.18.bb
  meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix-3.18/
  - but using sysvinit, not systemd.

When I run my image, both bluez & the various hci tools cannot seem to see the bluetooth module

parallels@ubuntu:~$ hcitool dev
Devices:
root@overo:~# hcitool scan
Device is not available: No such device
root@overo:~# /usr/sbin/hciattach -n ttyO1 texas
Initialization timed out.

root@overo:~# dbus-send --system --dest=org.bluez --print-reply /org/bluez/1514/hci0 org.bluez.Adapter.SetProperty string:Discoverable variant:boolean:true
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject: Method "SetProperty" with signature "sv" on interface "org.bluez.Adapter" doesn't exist

- can anyone suggest what I am missing?
(I'm pretty new to Gumstix/OE and very willing to learn - please let me know if there's anything I can post up here to help)

(It looks pretty similar to this issue: http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Help-with-bluetooth-and-Overo-Y-COMs-td4971016.html
I'm using the same board, kernel, firmware & bluez version, but where that seems to be resolved by bringing up wlan0 that doesn't help in my case - the snippets I've posted are from me ssh-ing onto the board using the wifi...)

Here's what I've done:

================

I've built an image which (hopefully) includes everything needed to get bluez4 working with the Wilink 8 BT module by specifying the following:

image.bb:
FIRMWARE_INSTALL = " \
  linux-firmware-wl18xx \
  wpa-supplicant \
  iw \
  bluez4 \
"

MODULE_INSTALL= " \
  kernel-module-rfkill \
  kernel-module-rfkill-gpio \
  kernel-module-rfkill-regulator \
  kernel-module-mac80211 \
  kernel-module-cdc-acm \
  kernel-module-libertas-sdio \
  kernel-module-rfcomm \
  kernel-module-mwifiex \
  kernel-module-wlcore \
  kernel-module-wlcore-sdio \
  kernel-module-wl18xx \
  kernel-module-arc4 \
  kernel-module-gpio-backlight \
  kernel-module-backlight \
  kernel-module-industrialio \
  kernel-module-twl4030-madc \
  kernel-module-ipv6 \
  kernel-module-g-ether \
  kernel-module-libcomposite \
  kernel-module-u-ether \
  kernel-module-usb-f-rndis \
  kernel-module-usb-f-ecm \
  kernel-module-ctr \
  kernel-module-ccm \
  kernel-module-bluetooth \
  kernel-module-rfcomm \
  kernel-module-hci-vhci \
  kernel-module-bnep \
  kernel-module-hidp \
  kernel-module-hci-uart \
 "

PYTHON_INSTALL = " \
  python-dbus \

layer.conf:

# Include bluetooth support
DISTRO_FEATURES_append += " bluez4"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append += " bluez4"

================

Using dbus:

root@overo:~# dbus-send --system              --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus   --type=method_call            --print-reply                 /org/freedesktop/DBus         org.freedesktop.DBus.ListNames
method return sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.2 reply_serial=2
   array [
      string "org.freedesktop.DBus"
      string ":1.0"
      string "org.bluez"
      string ":1.1"
      string ":1.2"
   ]

(root@overo:~# cat introspect_bt.py
#!/usr/bin/env python

import dbus
from xml.etree import ElementTree

def rec_intro(bus, service, object_path):
    print(object_path)
    obj = bus.get_object(service, object_path)
    iface = dbus.Interface(obj, 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable')
    xml_string = iface.Introspect()
    for child in ElementTree.fromstring(xml_string):
        if child.tag == 'node':
            if object_path == '/':
                object_path = ''
            new_path = '/'.join((object_path, child.attrib['name']))
            rec_intro(bus, service, new_path)

bus = dbus.SystemBus()
rec_intro(bus, 'org.bluez', '/org/bluez')
root@overo:~#
)
root@overo:~# python introspect_bt.py
/org/bluez