Quantcast

FYI recovering from boot delay=0

david moffatt

FYI,

You can reset the u-boot bootdelay from 0 if you can get to a linux prompt.

dd if=/dev/mtd2 of=env.blob
vi env.blob
Find the string bootdelay=0 and replace the 0 with a 5
dd if=env.blob of=/dev/mtd2

The other way to do it is to create a boot.scr, add it to your mmc boot partition, and add a
setenv bootdelay 5
saveenv

To the top of that script.   For more details see http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=U-Boot

--David.

Re: FYI recovering from boot delay=0

dtran11
Another way is to compile uboot with this flag set:

#define CONFIG_ZERO_BOOTDELAY_CHECK /* check keypress w/no delay */

Re: FYI recovering from boot delay=0

Patrick Maheral (DWI - CA/Ottawa)
The only problem with this method is that the environment has a checksum or CRC associated with it, so changing that will invalidate the environment and cause u-boot to use defaults.  Hopefully the defaults are appropriate for your purporses.

Patrick

Re: FYI recovering from boot delay=0

Dustin Howett
I believe you could also use the nvram utility. `nvram set
bootdelay=5; nvram commit`.
-- Dustin L. Howett

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Patrick Maheral (DWI - CA/Ottawa)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only problem with this method is that the environment has a checksum or
> CRC associated with it, so changing that will invalidate the environment and
> cause u-boot to use defaults.  Hopefully the defaults are appropriate for
> your purporses.
>
> Patrick
>
> ________________________________

au4life07

All you have to do is erase the u-boot environment partition with:
# flash_erase /dev/mtd2 0 0
See Steve Sakoman's website for more info. (Method 2)
www.sakoman.com/OMAP/how-to-write-u-boot-to-nand.html

Chris

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only problem with this method is that the environment has a checksum or
> CRC associated with it, so changing that will invalidate the environment and
> cause u-boot to use defaults.  Hopefully the defaults are appropriate for
> your purporses.
>
> Patrick
>
> ________________________________

Curtis Olson-2
If *all* you want to do is recover the boot delay setting (or any other individual u-boot setitng) and you can get to a linux prompt, you can also run the "fw_setenv" and "fw_printenv" commands.  For example:

fw_setenv bootdelay 5

This updates the parameter and saves it.  Just reboot and you should have the 5 second count down back and be able to break into u-boot and get the u-boot  prompt again.

There may be other reasons you want to completely wipe the u-boot settings (like you've upgraded to a new version of u-boot) but if you just want to recover from setting bootdelay to 0, or you want to automate your system setup from the linux command line, this is a nice little command that can help.

Curt.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only problem with this method is that the environment has a checksum or
> CRC associated with it, so changing that will invalidate the environment and
> cause u-boot to use defaults.  Hopefully the defaults are appropriate for
> your purporses.
>
> Patrick

Curtis Olson: