Quantcast

Errors building gstreamer-ti - do_package_qa Files/Directories were installed but not shipped

Errors building gstreamer-ti - do_package_qa Files/Directories were installed but not shipped

Michael Bittle
Hi everyone. I am having some issues building gstreamer-ti.

I successfully built gumstix-console-image and I grabbed the updated meta-ti from Scott Ellis's link in this mailing list archive. I am running into the following issue(s) with ti-dspbios, ti-xdctools and all of the other ti recipes I assume since it doesn't get past these. This is what is contained in the error log for ti-xdctools:

ERROR: QA Issue: ti-xdctools: Files/directories were installed but not shipped
... hundreds of folders/filenames
DEBUG: Python function populate_packages finished
DEBUG: Executing python function do_package_qa
NOTE: DO PACKAGE QA
NOTE: Checking Package: ti-xdctools-dbg
NOTE: Checking Package: ti-xdctools-staticdev
NOTE: Checking Package: ti-xdctools-dev
NOTE: Checking Package: ti-xdctools-doc
NOTE: Checking Package: ti-xdctools-locale
NOTE: Checking Package: ti-xdctools
ERROR: QA run found fatal errors. Please consider fixing them.
DEBUG: Python function do_package_qa finished
DEBUG: Python function do_package finished
ERROR: Function failed: do_package_qa

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. From what I can gather, the error 'Files/directories were installed but not shipped' means that a bunch of files were created but bitbake doesn't know what to do with them because they haven't been specifically targeted/taken care of in a recipe? (Forgive the description if it is wrong, I am out of my depth here).

Anyway, if that is the case, I am not sure where to go digging around to figure out where this is going wrong. Any advice on how to proceed? Do I have to write some cleanup routine or something? I tried to add some flags I found through searching to ignore that type of error (one I found was INSANE_SKIP+="installed-vs-shipped" but I've no idea if it is proper) but it doesn't seem to have any effect (and is probably a bad idea, I know).

It's a little frustrating because I successfully built this a while ago but I am trying again from scratch to make sure I have all the steps clearly recorded. I don't remember running into this problem at all so it might be new, but then again I haven't found anyone else mentioning it.

Hopefully it is something trivial and dumb that I have forgotten to do. I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks,
Michael.

Re: Errors building gstreamer-ti - do_package_qa Files/Directories were installed but not shipped

bowu86
Hi,

I essentially had the same problem. Check out my post

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Problem-in-xdctools-of-meta-ti-layer-when-building-Yocto-projcet-td4969144.html

Scott's reply helped me to work around this error.

Best,
Bo

Re: Errors building gstreamer-ti - do_package_qa Files/Directories were installed but not shipped

Ross Berteig
I had a similar thing happen with a package I'm trying to include in a
layer for my current project. One recipe (and only one) suddenly
starting throwing that same error. A build that morning was fine. I
"changed nothing" while at lunch and a meeting. Then it stopped
building. Other recipes in the layer still built ok, as did other
recipes needed to build gumstix-console-image.

I eventually worked around the problem by adding the line

   INSANE_SKIP_${PN} = "installed-vs-shipped "

to my ill-behaved recipe. According to the documentation, this causes
the QA tests in the do_package_qa() task to skip this particular test
for this package.

In my case, it was complaining that a subset of the source files (but
not all of them) had been installed into /usr/src/debug/${PN}/ which is
nonsense. I carefully inspected the work folder

   build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/${PN}/${PV}

paying specific attention to the contents of the image folder (which is
where the do_install() task installs files). I also looked in the
finished RPMs from this recipe, and poked around in the rest of the work
folders. In no case did I find any references to /usr/src, or any
evidence that the error displayed by the QA test was even remotely true.

When I googled the error message, that led me to the control to turn off
the test and I haven't looked back.

I would like to know what do_package_qa() was actually seeing, how it
happened, and how to make it stop without actually turning off a QA test
that might actually be useful.

On 6/5/2014 11:09 AM, Michael Bittle wrote:

> > I successfully built gumstix-console-image and I grabbed the updated meta-ti
> from Scott Ellis's link in this mailing list archive. I am running into the
> following issue(s) with ti-dspbios, ti-xdctools and all of the other ti
> recipes I assume since it doesn't get past these. This is what is contained
> in the error log for ti-xdctools:
>
> ERROR: QA Issue: ti-xdctools: Files/directories were installed but not
> shipped
> ... hundreds of folders/filenames
> ERROR: QA run found fatal errors. Please consider fixing them.

I "love" the "humor" in that error message, though. And I'd be happy to
"consider fixing them" if I had any idea what actually happened.

--
Ross Berteig                               [hidden email]
Cheshire Engineering Corp.           http://www.CheshireEng.com/