Quantcast

Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

CaseyS
Hey Guys,

I am currently trying to building the Gumstix-console-image using the meta-gumstix layer. I am following the newly uploaded instructions from Adam. Every thing works smoothly until the end when bitbake tries to build the rootfs image. I get the following error

error: Failed dependencies:
        /usr/bin/nawk is needed by vim-7.2.446-r11.3.armv7a

I tried to bitbake vim by itself, but that is not a recognized recipe,  vim-tiny works with out a hitch. I also tried to track down the recipe to build nawk but was unsuccessful. Is anyone else having this issue or have any ideas on how to fix it.

Casey

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

CaseyS
Correction vim is a recognized recipe

Casey

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM, CaseyS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I am currently trying to building the Gumstix-console-image using the
> meta-gumstix layer. I am following the newly uploaded instructions from
> Adam. Every thing works smoothly until the end when bitbake tries to build
> the rootfs image. I get the following error
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         /usr/bin/nawk is needed by vim-7.2.446-r11.3.armv7a
>
> I tried to bitbake vim by itself, but that is not a recognized recipe,
> vim-tiny works with out a hitch. I also tried to track down the recipe to
> build nawk but was unsuccessful. Is anyone else having this issue or have
> any ideas on how to fix it.
>
> Casey

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

Curtis Olson-2
Hi Casey,

I saw something very similar here except my build reported a missing "gawk" dependency for vim.  (I'm not sure why the difference? Maybe we pulled the repository at different times?)

What worked for me (and I have no idea if this is the "proper" way to do things) is to find the gumstix-console-image.bb file in:

.../yocto/poky/meta-gumstix/recipes-images/gumstix/

I then added "gawk \" as an extra line in the TOOLS_INSTALL = section of the file, reran bit-bake and it finished without further error.

Hopefully the experts can chime in with the proper way to fix this, but that at least got me through to a complete build.  I haven't tried loading or running the images yet.

Curt.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Casey St.Fleur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Correction vim is a recognized recipe

Casey

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM, CaseyS <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I am currently trying to building the Gumstix-console-image using the
> meta-gumstix layer. I am following the newly uploaded instructions from
> Adam. Every thing works smoothly until the end when bitbake tries to build
> the rootfs image. I get the following error
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         /usr/bin/nawk is needed by vim-7.2.446-r11.3.armv7a
>
> I tried to bitbake vim by itself, but that is not a recognized recipe,
> vim-tiny works with out a hitch. I also tried to track down the recipe to
> build nawk but was unsuccessful. Is anyone else having this issue or have
> any ideas on how to fix it.
>
> Casey

Curtis Olson:

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

Steve Sakoman

http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=meta-sakoman.git;a=commitdiff;h=31ec05b5ef6e76d1a5aced13729e8b4a06483607

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM, CaseyS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am currently trying to building the Gumstix-console-image using the
>> meta-gumstix layer. I am following the newly uploaded instructions from
>> Adam. Every thing works smoothly until the end when bitbake tries to build
>> the rootfs image. I get the following error
>>
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>         /usr/bin/nawk is needed by vim-7.2.446-r11.3.armv7a
>
> http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=meta-sakoman.git;a=commitdiff;h=31ec05b5ef6e76d1a5aced13729e8b4a06483607

Hit send too quickly!

I haven't used the meta-gumstix layer, but I have the above in my own
layer for this issue.

If meta-gumstix already has this fix, then it might also need to add a
gawk dependency to the vim recipe.

Steve

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

Ash Charles
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If meta-gumstix already has this fix, then it might also need to add a
> gawk dependency to the vim recipe.

Yes---the patch is in there.  Vim needs a DEPENDS on gawk.  I'm
testing now and will push shortly if it works for me.
-Ash

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

ashcharles
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If meta-gumstix already has this fix, then it might also need to add a
>> gawk dependency to the vim recipe.
>
> Yes---the patch is in there.  Vim needs a DEPENDS on gawk.  I'm
> testing now and will push shortly if it works for me.
> -Ash
Pushed---let me know if this still causes headaches.
--Ash

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

CaseyS
Sorry for the duplicate email, I didn't realize changing the subject
name would start a new thread, so for the sake of completeness.

Ash,

After running repo sync everything works with out a hitch.

I can confirm I was able to build the console image on a 64 bit pc
running ubuntu 12.04. I should note I had a lot of the necessary files
downloaded already from running  Sakoman's meta layer.

My next step is to get the meta-gumstix layer working with TI's layer
in order to get the DSP working. Is anyone else interested/ working
towards that goal as well.

Casey

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If meta-gumstix already has this fix, then it might also need to add a
>>> gawk dependency to the vim recipe.
>>
>> Yes---the patch is in there.  Vim needs a DEPENDS on gawk.  I'm
>> testing now and will push shortly if it works for me.
>> -Ash
> Pushed---let me know if this still causes headaches.
> --Ash

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

Ash Charles
Glad to hear it---thanks for the feedback.
-Ash

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Casey St.Fleur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the duplicate email, I didn't realize changing the subject
> name would start a new thread, so for the sake of completeness.
>
> Ash,
>
> After running repo sync everything works with out a hitch.
>
> I can confirm I was able to build the console image on a 64 bit pc
> running ubuntu 12.04. I should note I had a lot of the necessary files
> downloaded already from running  Sakoman's meta layer.
>
> My next step is to get the meta-gumstix layer working with TI's layer
> in order to get the DSP working. Is anyone else interested/ working
> towards that goal as well.
>
> Casey
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes---the patch is in there.  Vim needs a DEPENDS on gawk.  I'm
>>> testing now and will push shortly if it works for me.
>>> -Ash
>> Pushed---let me know if this still causes headaches.
>> --Ash

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

victoraa
I'm testing this Poky distribution too.
I've build it too with a Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits in a vmware image. It's ok.

Running the image in my Overo (running from the NAND in ubi format). I have detected some things
- The /etc/init.d/ folder is empty. Something failed in my compilation?
- There isn't /etc/inittab file. How to disable the console shell in ttyO2 serial port?
- The first time I boot the system, the Wifi connect to my Access Point and even obtain IP with DHCP server. But the next times, the Wifi not connect with the AP automatically. I have to use iwconfig command.

Is it correct?

Thanks.

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

adam.yh.lee
Hi Victor,

- /etc/init.d folder should be empty unless you have the XFCE image.
- I haven't tried it, but you can try commenting out SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyO2" in ./meta-gumstix/conf/machine/overo.inc
- Not sure about the wifi yet, will see what happens on mine

Adam

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM, victoraa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm testing this Poky distribution too.
I've build it too with a Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits in a vmware image. It's ok.

Running the image in my Overo (running from the NAND in ubi format). I have
detected some things
- The /etc/init.d/ folder is empty. Something failed in my compilation?
- There isn't /etc/inittab file. How to disable the console shell in ttyO2
serial port?
- The first time I boot the system, the Wifi connect to my Access Point and
even obtain IP with DHCP server. But the next times, the Wifi not connect
with the AP automatically. I have to use iwconfig command.

Is it correct?

Thanks.

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

victoraa
Hi Adam,

The XFCE image is the Desktop image, isn't it?
I'm working with console image. I don't understand how this init.d folder is empty. Even the /etc/rcS.d/ scripts are symlinks to /etc/init.d/ folders.

For example, I can't do "# /etc/init.d/bluetooth stop", or if I don't want to load bluetooth modules at startup, "# update-rc.d remove bluetooth".
Is this typical for Poky distribution or something I've done building it?

Thanks.
Víctor Andrés

http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

Ash Charles
The /etc/init.d is empty because this image uses systemd
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd) as its
initialization system rather than sysvinit.  Among other things,
systemd offers the possibility of really quick boot times.  That said,
it can still read classic sysvinit scripts.

--Ash

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ash Charles wrote:
The /etc/init.d is empty because this image uses systemd
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd) as its
initialization system rather than sysvinit.  Among other things,
systemd offers the possibility of really quick boot times.  That said,
it can still read classic sysvinit scripts.

Just to back that up, I've seen an 8 second boot here on an earthstorm (based on the kernel boot timing messages.)  My open embedded image (self built) that I was running before took close to a minute to boot.

systemd is weird and complicated if you are used to the old init system which was complicated compared to what came before it, but onwards and upwards I guess. :-)

If anyone is interested in setting up autologin on the new 3.5 kernel + systemd based system I whipped together a quick howto based on my own hacking:

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson:

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Curtis Olson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If anyone is interested in setting up autologin on the new 3.5 kernel +
> systemd based system I whipped together a quick howto based on my own
> hacking:

There are also these instructions for auto login with systemd:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Automatic_login_to_virtual_console

Note: I haven't verified that they work

Steve

Re: Error Building the Gumstix-console-image with meta_Gumstix

adam.yh.lee
Thanks Curtis,

I submitted the guide in the Useful Articles section in gumstix.org.

Adam

[...]

kris duff

Getting in the same error than below,

Does that means that there is a typo in the vim recipes ?  Ask for nawk but should have read gawk ?

I would like to learn how to correct the issue and commit the solution ?

Thank you