Quantcast

Duovero images?

123

Duovero images?

Chris Whittenburg

Are there any pre-built images for the Duovero available yet?

If not, are there pointers to the work in progress?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Duovero images?

Ash Charles
http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/duovero/
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Chris Whittenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are there any pre-built images for the Duovero available yet?
>
> If not, are there pointers to the work in progress?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/duovero/

Actually, it is easiest to go to:

http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/omap4-multi/current/

and download the mksdcard.sh script.

Make it executable with:

chmod +x mksdcard.sh

and for duovero run it like so:

./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdd duovero consoledev

where /dev/sdd is the place where your dev machine mounts the sd card.

DISCLAIMER:  these are my personal development images and may be broken at times

While bug reports are welcome, I can't promise if & when I will act on them.

Steve

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Chris Whittenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any pre-built images for the Duovero available yet?
>>
>> If not, are there pointers to the work in progress?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

Re: Duovero images?

seesemichaelj
>http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/omap4-multi/current/

What operating system is this image? Is there an easier way to grab that whole directory (via git possibly or a tarball)?

On another note, I ultimately want to use Ubuntu for a large senior design project; any ideas on how to get this?

I've tried using the Canonical Pandaboard OMAP4430 (since it uses the same CPU as the DuoVero) Ubuntu images (11.10 and 12.02), and both yield something like:
U-Boot SPL 2011.09 (Nov 22 2011 - 20:54:48)
Texas Instruments OMAP4430 ES2.0
SDRAM: identified size not same as expected size identified: 0 expected: 40000000

Which was an issue on the Pandaboard and apparently they fixed it here (http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commitdiff;h=fe7104b307a12f0d5f02526bea00162d95589616) though I'm not entirely sure how to build that into the fix and make a working image.

Thanks for the help!

I don't quite understand why Gumstix would release a product and not support any running operating systems on it, and I'm a little disappointed in this; oh well.

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM, seesemichaelj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/omap4-multi/current/
>
> What operating system is this image? Is there an easier way to grab that
> whole directory (via git possibly or a tarball)?

The image is based on a Linux 3.6 kernel.

Use the script as described in my previous email to automatically
download and create a bootable microsd card.

Steve

> On another note, I ultimately want to use Ubuntu for a large senior design
> project; any ideas on how to get this?
>
> I've tried using the Canonical Pandaboard OMAP4430 (since it uses the same
> CPU as the DuoVero) Ubuntu images (11.10 and 12.02), and both yield
> something like:
> U-Boot SPL 2011.09 (Nov 22 2011 - 20:54:48)
> Texas Instruments OMAP4430 ES2.0
> SDRAM: identified size not same as expected size identified: 0 expected:
> 40000000
>
> Which was an issue on the Pandaboard and apparently they fixed it here
> (http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commitdiff;h=fe7104b307a12f0d5f02526bea00162d95589616)
> though I'm not entirely sure how to build that into the fix and make a
> working image.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> I don't quite understand why Gumstix would release a product and not support
> any running operating systems on it, and I'm a little disappointed in this;
> oh well.

Re: Duovero images?

seesemichaelj
Worked like a charm. Thanks Steve!

If I put Ubuntu on top of your build,  could I make an image for more people to just use the Ubuntu image? If so, how? I'd love to make it easier on someone else.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Duovero images?

seesemichaelj
seesemichaelj wrote
If I put Ubuntu on top of your build,  could I make an image for more people to just use the Ubuntu image? If so, how? I'd love to make it easier on someone else.
A better question would be: could I put Ubuntu on top of the image you provided?
Or would we have to incorporate the kernel/image you built into Ubuntu? I'm interested in developing towards this, but never have; sorry for the noob-ness.

Mike

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM, seesemichaelj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A better question would be: could I put Ubuntu on top of the image you
> provided?
> Or would we have to incorporate the kernel/image you built into Ubuntu? I'm
> interested in developing towards this, but never have; sorry for the
> noob-ness.

The latter (incorporate my kernel/modules into Ubuntu).  I'm not
really interested in Ubuntu, so you are on your own in that endeavor
:-)

Steve

Re: Duovero images?

seesemichaelj
Haha ok, thanks!

A couple more noob questions:
1) Does modules.tgz just need to be unzipped into the root directory to install them?
2) Do I need any of the other archives you provide (ie the usb-gadgets, etc)? Could you briefly explain what these images are?
3) Difference between systemd and consoledev?
4) Could I get the source (if modified) and build parameters/script of the kernel you built?

Thank you for the help!

Mike

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM, seesemichaelj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Haha ok, thanks!
>
> A couple more noob questions:
> 1) Does modules.tgz just need to be unzipped into the root directory to
> install them?

Assuming you mean when you attempt to use an Ubuntu rootfs, then yes,
but follow it with running depmod and a reboot.

> 2) Do I need any of the other archives you provide (ie the usb-gadgets,
> etc)?

No

> 3) Difference between systemd and consoledev?

Consoledev has dev tools, otherwise the same

> 4) Could I get the source (if modified) and build parameters/script of the
> kernel you built?

The kernel is built from the omap-3.6 branch of the kernel repository
on my web site.

Steve

Re: Duovero images?

seesemichaelj
Awesome, thank you for all the help!

I was curious though if you had a .deb package of the kernel built? I'm not quite sure the parameters to configure the make; I'm sure I could figure it out if I put forth more effort, but if you already have a built kernel package, that would work just as much!

Thank you for all the assistance Steve.

Best,
Mike

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:06 AM, seesemichaelj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was curious though if you had a .deb package of the kernel built?

Nope, sorry!

Steve

Re: Duovero images?

seesemichaelj
Alright I'll figure it out, thanks.

Mike Seese
University of Florida, ECE Department
http://mikeseese.com, W4MIQ

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Steve Sakoman [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:06 AM, seesemichaelj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was curious though if you had a .deb package of the kernel built?

Nope, sorry!

Steve

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Duovero-images-tp4966004p4966169.html
To unsubscribe from Duovero images?, click here.

Re: Duovero images?

Greg Kogut
I've created two uSD cards using:

./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0p duovero consoledev

and

./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0p duovero xfce

And tried to run them on two new Crystal/Parlor combos.

All 4 combos get stuck on "Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2../"

Given the disclaimer about things being broken at times, is there a stable build-timestamp someone can give me?  (or another solution if I'm doing something dumb).

Greg

Re: Duovero images?

Scott Ellis
We had one Duovero unit that was experiencing the same problem.

Pushing down on the SD card during boot 'fixed' it enough to boot
and thereafter it worked okay. It was able to build and run apps.

I don't have the unit here and my co-worker never tried to troubleshoot
it further. (Currently, I'm the only one working a Duovero project.)

If you want another set of binaries to test with, the ones I'm using can be
found here temporarily

ftp://www.pansenti.com/duovero-softfp

The instructions and location of repos for building yourself can be found here

http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=97

Re: Duovero images?

Martin Stoilov

I tried to to follow the instructions to create SD card for duovero board (with parlor extension board):
# ./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdd duovero consoledev

The script worked fine and created the SD card. But when I tied to boot, I got:
U-Boot SPL 2012.10-00007-ge66f7d8 (Oct 25 2012 - 16:39:20)
OMAP4430 ES2.3
OMAP SD/MMC: 0
** Partition 1 not valid on device 0 **
spl: fat register err - -1
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

I also tried a different card with different size - same problem.
Any idea what might be the problem?

-Martin

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
I tried the same this morning just to make sure nothing was broken . . .

My DuoVero booted into the consoledev image with no issues.

My most recent build for DuoVero was Dec 12, so the following in your
boot log looks suspicious:

> U-Boot SPL 2012.10-00007-ge66f7d8 (Oct 25 2012 - 16:39:20)

Here is what I get from an image created with the script this morning:

U-Boot SPL 2012.10-00007-g2d44b29-dirty (Dec 12 2012 - 01:56:36)
OMAP4430 ES2.3
OMAP SD/MMC: 0
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2012.10-00007-g2d44b29-dirty (Dec 12 2012 - 01:56:36)

CPU  : OMAP4430 ES2.3
Board: duovero
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  1 GiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   smc911x-0
Warning: smc911x-0 using MAC address from net device

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

3732624 bytes read
Booting from mmc0 ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.6.0
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3732560 Bytes = 3.6 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Booting Linux on physical CPU 0
Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
Linux version 3.6.0 (steve@ESS004098) (gcc version 4.7.2 (GCC) ) #1
SMP Tue Dec 11 23:11:04 PST 2012

If you don't get something similar then I suspect something is wrong
with the SD card preparation.

Steve

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM, mstoilov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to to follow the instructions to create SD card for duovero board
> (with parlor extension board):
> # ./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdd duovero consoledev
>
> The script worked fine and created the SD card. But when I tied to boot, I
> got:
> U-Boot SPL 2012.10-00007-ge66f7d8 (Oct 25 2012 - 16:39:20)
> OMAP4430 ES2.3
> OMAP SD/MMC: 0
> ** Partition 1 not valid on device 0 **
> spl: fat register err - -1
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>
> I also tried a different card with different size - same problem.
> Any idea what might be the problem?
>
> -Martin

Re: Duovero images?

Martin Stoilov
Could you provide the URL for your latest build? All I see is:

Index of /feeds/yocto/images/duovero
[ICO] Name Last modified Size Description
[DIR] Parent Directory -
[DIR] 201210192257/ 20-Oct-2012 10:40 -
[DIR] 201210212137/ 22-Oct-2012 03:09 -
[DIR] 201210220605/ 22-Oct-2012 13:29 -
[DIR] 201210231451/ 23-Oct-2012 21:55 -
[DIR] 201210250940/ 25-Oct-2012 16:40 -
[DIR] current/ 25-Oct-2012 16:40 -

Re: Duovero images?

Martin Stoilov
I found the build @ http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/
But still get the same error:

spl: fat register err - -1
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Re: Duovero images?

Steve Sakoman
That is the correct URL, and is the one that I used earlier today.

Not sure what your problem is though!  U-boot SPL doesn't seem to be
happy with the formatting of the fat partition.

Is that partition readable on your desktop machine?

You might try using a different microSD card just in case it is a bad card.

Steve