DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

Daniel Madill

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to get WiFi working with the DuoVero Zephyr Y-COM with a gumstix console build? If so, what steps did you take to get it working? I had WiFi working with the original DuoVero Zephyr, but the Y-COM version does not even report a wlan0 or mlan0 interface. I’ve tried two different boards, the SD cards that came with each board (desktop images), and multiple console images without any luck. None of the online instructions I’ve found work. I’m probably just missing a configuration file or command, so if anyone would be so kind as to share what steps they took to get theirs working it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

arun
Hi Daniel,

I just tried the latest console image on the Zephyr-Y COM that I have and wlan0 just comes up automatically without having to do anything special. When I boot "ifconfig" shows that wlan0 is up. Once you see that, in order to further configure your connection you will need to edit the "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf" file. I am flashing this image: https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/4107/ Please try it and let me know if you had any success.

Also what do you see when you do an "rfkill list".

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Daniel Madill [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to get WiFi working with the DuoVero Zephyr Y-COM with a gumstix console build? If so, what steps did you take to get it working? I had WiFi working with the original DuoVero Zephyr, but the Y-COM version does not even report a wlan0 or mlan0 interface. I’ve tried two different boards, the SD cards that came with each board (desktop images), and multiple console images without any luck. None of the online instructions I’ve found work. I’m probably just missing a configuration file or command, so if anyone would be so kind as to share what steps they took to get theirs working it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/DuoVero-Y-COM-WiFi-tp4971154.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

Daniel Madill

Hi Arun,

Thank you for your response. With the two boards I was using, wlan0 never showed up in “ifconfig -a” and “rfkill list” returned nothing at all. I had tried these commands already (along with wpa_cli, iw, etc). I had also already configured the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf file with settings I had used successfully on the old DuoVero (not the Y-COM version). On the first board, I had tried the desktop image on the SD card that came with it, and a variety of other prebuilt console images and some images I built myself. wlan0 never showed up in ifconfig.

I then tried the second board I have with the SD card that came with it, which had a desktop image on it. It also did not show wlan0.

At that point I posted my question below.

After posting my question, I switched the SD card containing a prebuilt console image from the first board to the second board (I only have one Parlor board so I didn’t want to take off the second DuoVero now that I had it set up). This prebuilt console image never worked on the first board. However, when I booted the second board, lo and behold, wlan0 actually showed up (the same board for which the desktop image shipped with it did not show wlan0). So, it seems I did the bulk of my testing with a deficient board!

I still cannot get the WiFi to work with our wireless router but at least the WiFi commands like “iw” and “rfkill” now behave as expected. Using wpa_supplicant wih the –d option for debugging shows that the authentication times out for some reason (as opposed to returning WRONG_KEY). Is there a timeout option somewhere that can be set?

Given that wlan0 now showed up, however, I decided to try another embedded board (not gumstix) that we have that can be set up as an access point. I was able to connect to the other embedded board, so it looks like WiFi works on the second DuoVero Y-COM if I have the right SD card image (and presumably any later image). The one it was shipped with did not work.

The problem with our wireless router may be due to the fact it is fairly old (although it still works very well with our newest laptops). I’ve upgraded its firmware but I’m wondering if something has changed in wireless protocols (security bug fix?). Or, I just need to find an authentication timeout option somewhere.

I’m going to try a new high-performance router tomorrow, so we’ll see if I can connect to it. I’m not sure what to do with my first board though. It seems to be a WiFi dud.

Thank you for your help.

Dan

Re: DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

arun
Hi Daniel,

The key is to download -dev images (console or desktop) from the gumstix website. The -master images previously only worked for the older DuoVero COMs. The newer DuoVero-Y COMs needed kernel changes which are present in -dev. We recently upgraded our master to the same point as dev so henceforth all master images should also work on DuoVero-Y COMs.

Regarding one of the boards which you say is not working with the same image that works on the other board, is there any sign at all that wlcore module is trying to load? What does "dmesg | grep -i wl" tell you? Also can you send me the output of "lsmod"? If I understand your email correctly the DuoVero board that is not working is a DuoVero-Y correct?

- Arun

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/DuoVero-Y-COM-WiFi-tp4971154p4971156.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

Daniel Madill

Hi Arun,

Both boards are DuoVero Zephyr Y-COM boards. The output of `lsmod` did not show any wlcore_sdio or wl18xx driver on the board that did not work. I could find no evidence that the WiFi hardware existed. I did try modprobe of the wl18xx driver and it loaded the module, but that didn’t bring up the wlan0 interface. This is not the case with the working board. On the working board both of those drivers are present in the lsmod output.

Dan

Re: DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

arun
Hi Daniel,

Considering that the same image works on one board while it doesn't on the other - both boards being identical - makes me believe that the wifi hardware on it must be the issue, Can you please contact Gumstix support ([hidden email]) to help you replace the hardware?

- Arun

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/DuoVero-Y-COM-WiFi-tp4971154p4971158.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: DuoVero Y-COM WiFi

Daniel Madill

Hi Arun,

Sure. Thank you.