Quantcast

DuoVero - Reboot not possible with specific uSD SDHC cards

DuoVero - Reboot not possible with specific uSD SDHC cards

Philipp Lutz
Hi

I see strange things happening with state-of-the-art uSD SDHC cards like the SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I and  SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB SDHC I in my Gumstix system (crystal@parlor).
With the latter I seem to have problems when rebooting the system, I always have to unplug and plug in the power connector, otherwise the system is stuck after the last messages:
Will now restart
Restarting system
With the first (SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I) I seem to get occasional filesystem errors after a cold start, after rebooting one or twotimes these errors go away and the uSD card seems to work, also rebooting works. Fsck doesn't find any fs errors.
When I go back to my old (small and slow) uSD cards it always works, same rootfs, same kernel. So there can't be anything else than the uSD cards itself, causing the problem.

Has anybody of you seen similar effects? This is really confusing me currently. Can anybody recommend fast 32 GB SDHC cards which work reliably on a Gumstix DuoVero system?

My partition setup is the same as recommended by Gumstix (http://gumstix.org/create-a-bootable-microsd-card.html), it used to work with other (smaller) cards and Gumstix Overo systems for years, e.g.:
Kingston 16GB class10
Kingston 16GB class4
SanDisk 16GB class10
Pretec 8 GB class4

Cheers
Phil

Re: DuoVero - Reboot not possible with specific uSD SDHC cards

Scott Ellis
Yes, I recently started seeing similar problems rebooting Duoveros.

It's new behavior and very intermittent. I hadn't thought to suspect
SD cards. I'm only using 8G SanDisk Ultra cards, but I have a bunch of
them purchased at different times. I'll pay more attention to see
whether the problem  follows cards.

This is the last I see from the console when it hangs.

[   57.694366] CPU1: shutdown
[   57.698089] Restarting system.
[   57.701324] In omap4_prminst_global_warm_sw_reset

Most of the time it reboots from there.

Re: DuoVero - Reboot not possible with specific uSD SDHC cards

Scott Ellis
Happened once to me yesterday on a Duovero system using
u-boot 2012.10. (Old I know, need to move that project's u-boot
version forward.)  I probably rebooted a dozen times over the
course of the day and it only failed once.

I don't think it's anything to do with u-boot. I doesn't look like
it's getting that far. No MLO messages.

I had a similar problem with some i.MX6 systems a few months
ago. It was some shutdown code in the kernel  that was hanging.
Memory cache flushing to be specific.

Since we only do hard resets and since the filesystems were
already unmounted at this point, I just removed that cache
flushing code in the kernel arm_machine_restart() function
and everything was fine. The systems reboot everytime now.

From what I read, that cache flushing code is only in there to
support soft resets.

I don't know if it's anyhow related to what's happening with
the Duoveros. Symptoms are similar though. Thought I'd
throw it out.

This one will be harder to track down since it's so random at
least for me.

Re: DuoVero - Reboot not possible with specific uSD SDHC cards

adam
Scott, thanks for your input. I took a look at the the 3.6 kernel, and it seems like arm_machine_restart has been removed a while ago. The issue is random for me too. I wasn't able to reproduce it this morning - which makes me suspect the uSD card indeed.

commit f88b8979d26615ce68772cebc85c3b556571afca
Author: Russell King <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sat Nov 5 21:30:00 2011 +0000
    ARM: restart: remove the now empty arch_reset()

    Remove the now empty arch_reset() from all the mach/system.h includes,
    and remove its callsite.  Remove arm_machine_restart() as this function
    no longer does anything useful.

    For samsung platforms, remove the include of mach/system-reset.h and
    plat/system-reset.h from their respective mach/system.h headers as these
    just define their arch_reset functions.  As a result, the s3c2410 and
    plat-samsung system-reset.h files are no longer referenced, so remove
    these files entirely.

    Acked-by: Nicolas Pitre <[hidden email]>
    Acked-by: H Hartley Sweeten <[hidden email]>
    Acked-by: Jamie Iles <[hidden email]>
    Acked-by: Tony Lindgren <[hidden email]>
    Acked-by: Linus Walleij <[hidden email]>
    Signed-off-by: Russell King <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Scott Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Happened once to me yesterday on a Duovero system using
u-boot 2012.10. (Old I know, need to move that project's u-boot
version forward.)  I probably rebooted a dozen times over the
course of the day and it only failed once.

I don't think it's anything to do with u-boot. I doesn't look like
it's getting that far. No MLO messages.

I had a similar problem with some i.MX6 systems a few months
ago. It was some shutdown code in the kernel  that was hanging.
Memory cache flushing to be specific.

Since we only do hard resets and since the filesystems were
already unmounted at this point, I just removed that cache
flushing code in the kernel arm_machine_restart() function
and everything was fine. The systems reboot everytime now.

>From what I read, that cache flushing code is only in there to
support soft resets.

I don't know if it's anyhow related to what's happening with
the Duoveros. Symptoms are similar though. Thought I'd
throw it out.

This one will be harder to track down since it's so random at
least for me.

Re: DuoVero - Reboot not possible with specific uSD SDHC cards

Scott Ellis
Well those i.MX6 boards were running 3.0 kernels.
Good to know that code I yanked wasn't useful ;-)

I'm on an Overo project now. When I get back to a Duovero
board I'll pay closer attention and maybe throw some printks
in omap4_prminst_global_warm_sw_reset() to see how far
along it gets when it does hang again.