Quantcast

[DuoVero OTG] No device identified on OTG port

[DuoVero OTG] No device identified on OTG port

gaurav.chaturvedi
Hi,

Thanks for your kind help so far in other issues.

I have duoVero with Parlor board and using the yocto-gumstix 3.6 kernel
(built after enabling OTG in the configuration for duoVero using
"bitbake -c menuconfig" and then selecting "Device Drivers-->USB
support--> OTG support). Everything else works fine but currently, I
have one issue in connecting a USB device on the OTG port.

I already have a device on USB host port and need to connect the other
one on OTG port. I tried some suggestions over the internet, changed my
cable to suit the OTG cable requirement (pins 4 and 5 connected to
ground) but no use.

Can anybody help me in enabling the OTG port so that it can identify my
device. Even the device being identified on Host port does not show up
in "lsusb" output when connected to OTG port.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Gaurav

Re: [DuoVero OTG] No device identified on OTG port

Scott Ellis
I don't have a cable to check this myself on a Duovero,
but for the Overos you need to load a gadget driver for
the OTG  --BEFORE-- the system will do a host scan on
the OTG port.

I know it makes no sense, but this is what you have to
do on the Overo to use the OTG port in host mode since
around the 3.0 kernels.

Try loading something like g_serial with modprobe and
see if the Duovero does a host scan.

If it doesn't work at runtime, you might try loading the
gadget driver at boot.

Just an idea.

Re: [DuoVero OTG] No device identified on OTG port

gaurav.chaturvedi
Great. Thanks Scott for the suggestion. I tried loading the driver just
2 mins before your reply and got through the issue. But your suggestion
about loading driver at boot time really helped.

This is what I did exactly (might help someone having issues with OTG in
future):

1. As mentioned in my original post, I enabled the "USB gadget driver"
and "USB OTG support" through menuconfig.
2. I tried loading the driver at run-time using "modprobe g_serial" ==>
But no use, device not detected on OTG port.
3. I loaded the driver at boot time ==> For this, make a file
"g_serial.conf" in /etc/modules.d/ on target board (duoVero here).
     Content of the file:
     g_serial

     Actually, this specifies the name of driver to be loaded at boot
time, that is "g_serial" in our case.
4. Reboot/hard-reset the board with USB device connected on OTG port.
5. See the results and your device connected using "lsusb" command.

Just a quick question, what is the current output on the USB host and
OTG ports on "duoVero+parlor" board.
Thank you so much for the help.

Cheers
Gaurav

On 17/12/13 11:58, Scott Ellis wrote:

> I don't have a cable to check this myself on a Duovero,
> but for the Overos you need to load a gadget driver for
> the OTG  --BEFORE-- the system will do a host scan on
> the OTG port.
>
> I know it makes no sense, but this is what you have to
> do on the Overo to use the OTG port in host mode since
> around the 3.0 kernels.
>
> Try loading something like g_serial with modprobe and
> see if the Duovero does a host scan.
>
> If it doesn't work at runtime, you might try loading the
> gadget driver at boot.
>
> Just an idea.

Re: [DuoVero OTG] No device identified on OTG port

Ash Charles
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Gaurav Chaturvedi
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just a quick question, what is the current output on the USB host and
> OTG ports on "duoVero+parlor" board.

According to the PMIC datasheet, 200mA in 'boost' mode but I'd treat
the voltage here mostly as VBus signalling.  I.e. use a powered hub if
you are using a device that is USB powered.

--Ash

Re: [DuoVero OTG] No device identified on OTG port

gaurav.chaturvedi
Hello,

It was great to discover how the devices can be connected on USB OTG
port (Full procedure provided in my last post above).

Now, I am stuck with one more related issue. Actually I used a hub to
connect my USB device through USB host port (and another device on OTG
directly without hub). But the requirements now says that we need to do
it without any hub. Is it possible through some modification in
kernel/config/u-boot or hardware? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks and regards
Gaurav