Quantcast

Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifi problem?

12

Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifi problem?

david moffatt
Trying to get the iron storm up and running using the prebuilt binaries.    The wlanX interface takes 3 minutes or more to come up.   I did a lot of googleing and was able to get rid of the error message in the console but it was still very slow to come up.

Did anyone ever solve this?   If so can someone loan me a clue and point me to URL?

--Thanks for your time,

David Moffatt.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifi problem?

Pat Suwalski
On 01/05/12 02:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Trying to get the iron storm up and running using the prebuilt binaries.
>     The wlanX interface takes 3 minutes or more to come up.   I did a
> lot of googleing and was able to get rid of the error message in the
> console but it was still very slow to come up.

I don't have one in front of me, but I recall that something was not
right in /etc. My current recollection is that it's the ifstate file, or
something else that is written when an interface comes up. It may have
been a dangling symlink that prevented the state from being written and
this causes the timeout.

--Pat

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifi problem?

gumsticker
I have encountered the issue, too. I wrote down the following notice, which I got from some thread here. Maybe it can help

-----------------------------
There is a issue where the libertas_sdio driver does not start correctly, but delays bringing up the wireless interface wlan0 only after ~2 min. Then in most cases the wireless network does indeed connect. The following file can help:

/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

with the content:

options libertas_sdio helper_name="sd8686_helper.bin"
options libertas_sdio fw_name="sd8686.bin"

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

victoraa
Hi!

And what data transfer rate do you get?  copying a file remotely to this
Overo (it's a Iron) I get 110 KB/s ... ¿?
(Using a recent build image with 3.2 kernel).

>I have encountered the issue, too. I wrote down the following notice, which
> got from some thread here. Maybe it can help
>
> -----------------------------
> There is a issue where the libertas_sdio driver does not start correctly,
> but delays bringing up the wireless interface wlan0 only after ~2 min.
> Then
> in most cases the wireless network does indeed connect. The following file
> can help:
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
>
> with the content:
>
> options libertas_sdio helper_name="sd8686_helper.bin"
> options libertas_sdio fw_name="sd8686.bin"

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

dtran11
I don't think it has been solved yet. Haven't tried 3.4 yet tho. I started this thread a while back about the same issue.

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Overo-Air-Wifi-data-rate-only-5-5Mbps-td2013996.html#a2686323

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

dtran11
Just tried the latest version of 3.2 (commit 513770d80c0cfb26cc406c9ca3916df2e7afe46d) and the wireless seems to be a lot better now. I am getting around 600KB/s consistently. I don't know if the fix for the mmc had anything to do with it: http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commit;h=513770d80c0cfb26cc406c9ca3916df2e7afe46d

Please give it a try and tell me what you guys get. Thanks.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

Donny3000
I'm having the same slow bring up of wifi as well.  I tried using the 3.2 kernel commit that you posted with the omap3-console-image, but to no avail.  Do you (or anyone else) know what could be causing this?  I've been fighting this for awhile, but have been unsuccessful in my attempts to resolve it.  I feel like it's a kernel/driver issue, but I'm not sure.  Although, I read this gmane post that udev-175+ requires asynchronous firmware loading and the libertas hasn't been converted to that.  I also stumbled across this link in my googling that looks like it might apply to this slow wifi bring up.  Don't know if these changes apply to our Gumstix platform, but I'm looking into them.

dtran11 wrote

dtran11
I don't use udev so I don't have the slow bring up problem. I have my own scripts to start my drivers.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

dtran11
Here is my script to manually load the wifi module without udev and hotplug. This is only useful if you don't need plug and play and only need to load up the modules once at startup.

#!/bin/sh

# start libertas wifi driver
modprobe libertas_sdio &

# wait for driver to load and create system files for wifi
x=0
while [ "$x" -lt 100 -a ! -e /sys/class/firmware/mmc1* ]; do
        x=$((x+1))
        sleep .01
done

cd /sys/class/firmware/mmc1*

echo 1 > loading
cat /lib/firmware/sd8686_helper.bin > data
echo 0 > loading

sleep .1

cd /sys/class/firmware/mmc1*

echo 1 > loading
cat /lib/firmware/sd8686.bin > data
echo 0 > loading

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

Donny3000
All,

I did some work/searching last night and I believe that I have a solution for the slow WiFi bring-up problem that so many have been facing.  As I had mentioned earlier, the latest udev being used in the any variant of the OpenEmbedded console/desktop image requires that all modules/firmware be loaded asynchronously.  But, the libertas SDIO driver is synchronous, so it bogged down the boot process.  I found some patches create by Daniel Drake at laptop.org that addressed this slow bringup issue, but his patches were for an older version of the libertas firmware.  So, last night I went through and read the patches and generated new patches to match the libertas driver in this Sakoman 3.2 kernel commit (which is the commit dtran11 posted).  I have attached the patch files, in addition to my modified virtual/kernel bitbake recipe, which are here: decl_h.patch, dev_h.patch, if_sdio_c.patch, main_c.patch, linux-omap3_git.bb.

This patch should probably work wit the Sakoman 3.0 kernel as well, but I haven't tested it.  Currently, the asynchronous change has only been applied to the SDIO driver, which I fine for Overo use.  But, I will apply the changes to the USB, GSPA and SPI interfaces later.  I tested the patches this morning on my Overo FireSTORM w/ Tobi expansion board the bring-up time was within 2-3 seconds.  So, hopefully others will have the same kind of results and will eliminate the need for any handcrafted workaround boot scripts to get our Linux COMs booting the way they should.

-Donald

Donny3000 wrote
[...]

ulih
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

ulih
Hi Donald,

I have the same issue with the libertas_sdio driver, when using the Sakoman 3.2 kernel. I tried the patches from your email, but it does not work.

Here is the output I got on dmesg:

cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
libertas enter: lbs_init_module()
libertas leave: lbs_init_module()
libertas enter: if_sdio_init_module()
libertas_sdio: Libertas SDIO driver
libertas_sdio: Copyright Pierre Ossman
libertas enter: if_sdio_probe()
libertas sdio: class = 0x7, vendor = 0x2DF, device = 0x9103, model = 0xB,
ioport = 0x0
libertas enter: lbs_add_card()
libertas enter: lbs_cfg_alloc()
libertas leave: lbs_cfg_alloc()
libertas enter: lbs_init_adapter()
libertas enter: lbs_allocate_cmd_buffer()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas enter: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: __lbs_cleanup_and_insert_cmd()
libertas leave: lbs_allocate_cmd_buffer(), ret 0
libertas leave: lbs_init_adapter(), ret 0
libertas thread: Starting main thread...
libertas leave: lbs_add_card(), priv dbfd8320
libertas enter: if_sdio_prog_firmware()
libertas sdio: firmware status = 0x0
libertas sdio: scratch ret = 0
libertas fw: Starting async firmware load
libertas fw: Requesting libertas/sd8686_v9_helper.bin
libertas enter: lbs_thread()
libertas thread: 1: currenttxskb  (null), dnld_sent 0
libertas thread: sleeping, connect_status 1, psmode 0, psstate 0
libertas leave: if_sdio_prog_firmware(), ret 0
libertas leave: if_sdio_probe(), ret 0
libertas leave: if_sdio_init_module(), ret 0
libertas fw: Requesting libertas/sd8686_v8_helper.bin
libertas fw: Requesting sd8686_helper.bin
libertas fw: firmware load complete, code -2
libertas_sdio: failed to find firmware (-2)

Any idea what is wrong?

The firmware is in /lib/firmware

Thanks
Uli

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

Donny3000
Hi Ulih,

I actually made some changes to the patches for the libertas_sdio driver for the 3.2 kernel.  Try these and let me know if they work for you.  Previously, I was trying to minimize the number of files, but this time I just re-patched the entire driver so I wouldn't miss anything.  I applied these patches and they seemed to work for me with a considerable decrease in the wait time (about 2-3 seconds).

Patch Files:
asynchronous_add_decl_h.patch
asynchronous_add_dev_h.patch
asynchronous_add_firmware_c.patch
asynchronous_add_if_cs_c.patch
asynchronous_add_if_sdio_c.patch
asynchronous_add_if_spi_c.patch
asynchronous_add_if_usb_c.patch
asynchronous_add_main_c.patch
asynchronous_add_Makefile.patch

I didn't do anything special other than making sure my /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf were configured correctly.  To do that I followed this Overo WiFi wiki.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

ulih
Hi,

thank you very much for your reply (and sorry for my delayed response). I tried your patches. When I load the module ("modprobe libertas_sdio"), the wait time is indeed very short, but the firmware is not found. After maybe 30 seconds, I get the error message:
libertas_sdio: failed to find firmware (-2)

The content of /lib/firmware is:

root@overo:/lib/firmware# ls -la
total 152
drwxrwxr-x 9 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 .
drwxrwxr-x 6 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 ..
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 edgeport
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 emi26
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 emi62
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 kaweth
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 keyspan_pda
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Jun  6  2012 libertas
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13847 Jun  6  2012 mts_cdma.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14067 Jun  6  2012 mts_edge.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13847 Jun  6  2012 mts_gsm.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2048 May 29 22:19 rt73.bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    36 May <a href="tel:31%2015" value="+333115" target="_blank">31 15:13 sd8686.bin -> /lib/firmware/libertas/sd8686_v9.bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    43 May <a href="tel:31%2015" value="+333115" target="_blank">31 15:13 sd8686_helper.bin -> /lib/firmware/libertas/sd8686_
v9_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13765 Jun  6  2012 ti_<a href="tel:3410" value="+333410" target="_blank">3410.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13764 Jun  6  2012 ti_5052.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23554 Jun  6  2012 whiteheat.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5626 Jun  6  2012 whiteheat_loader.fw
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root  4096 May 31  2012 zd1211

root@overo:/lib/firmware/libertas# ls -la
total 2224
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Jun  6  2012 .
drwxrwxr-x 9 root root   4096 Jun  6  2012 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  95132 Jun  6  2012 cf8381.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2132 Jun  6  2012 cf8381_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  97128 Jun  6  2012 cf8385.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 Jun  6  2012 cf8385_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 154608 Jun  6  2012 gspi8682.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 Jun  6  2012 gspi8682_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126652 Jun  6  2012 gspi8686_v9.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 Jun  6  2012 gspi8686_v9_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 261596 Jun  6  2012 gspi8688.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 Jun  6  2012 gspi8688_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 120924 Jun  6  2012 lbtf_sdio.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  96716 Jun  6  2012 sd8385.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 Jun  6  2012 sd8385_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 155648 Jun  6  2012 sd8682.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2616 Jun  6  2012 sd8682_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 122800 Jun  6  2012 sd8686_v8.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2464 Jun  6  2012 sd8686_v8_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 124188 Jun  6  2012 sd8686_v9.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2516 Jun  6  2012 sd8686_v9_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 259172 Jun  6  2012 sd8688.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2616 Jun  6  2012 sd8688_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127824 Jun  6  2012 usb8388_olpc.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100292 Jun  6  2012 usb8388_v5.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126644 Jun  6  2012 usb8388_v9.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 174332 Jun  6  2012 usb8682.bin

Is there a way to get more debugging output?

Thanks for any other ideas
Best
Uli

[...]

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Did-they-ever-solve-the-slow-bring-up-of-wifi-problem-tp4944197p4964541.html
To unsubscribe from Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifi problem?, click here.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

ulih
Okay, with enabled debugging, I get this:

[...]
libertas leave: lbs_add_card(), priv de458320
libertas enter: if_sdio_prog_firmware()
libertas sdio: firmware status = 0x0
libertas sdio: scratch ret = 0
libertas fw: Starting async firmware load
libertas fw: Requesting libertas/sd8686_v9_helper.bin
libertas leave: if_sdio_prog_firmware(), ret 0
libertas leave: if_sdio_probe(), ret 0
libertas leave: if_sdio_init_module(), ret 0
libertas fw: Requesting libertas/sd8686_v8_helper.bin
libertas fw: Requesting sd8686_helper.bin
libertas fw: firmware load complete, code -2
libertas_sdio: failed to find firmware (-2)

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

Donny3000
Ulih,

What command are you using to load the module?  I'm trying to figure out why it's trying to load all of the firmware versions.  It should only be loading either the sd8686_v9_helper.bin, sd8686_v8_helper.bin or the sd8686_helper.bin.  Can you post your contents of /lib/firmware or /lib/firmware/libertas again?

Donald

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

ulih
Donald,

I am loading it with:

modprobe libertas
echo "0x02FFFFFF" > /sys/module/libertas/parameters/libertas_debug
modprobe libertas_sdio

The content of the folders are:
total 276
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 10:26 edgeport
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 10:26 emi26
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 10:26 emi62
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 10:26 kaweth
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 10:26 keyspan_pda
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 11:47 libertas
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  13847 2012-06-26 17:28 mts_cdma.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  14067 2012-06-26 17:28 mts_edge.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  13847 2012-06-26 17:28 mts_gsm.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2048 2012-05-29 14:19 rt73.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 124188 2012-06-28 12:15 sd8686.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2516 2012-06-28 12:15 sd8686_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  13765 2012-06-26 17:28 ti_<a href="tel:3410" value="+333410" target="_blank">3410.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  13764 2012-06-26 17:28 ti_5052.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  23554 2012-06-26 17:28 whiteheat.fw
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   5626 2012-06-26 17:28 whiteheat_loader.fw
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root   4096 2012-06-27 10:27 zd1211

total 2216
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  95132 2012-06-27 11:47 cf8381.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2132 2012-06-27 11:47 cf8381_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  97128 2012-06-27 11:47 cf8385.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 2012-06-27 11:47 cf8385_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 154608 2012-06-27 11:47 gspi8682.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 2012-06-27 11:47 gspi8682_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126652 2012-06-27 11:47 gspi8686_v9.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 2012-06-27 11:47 gspi8686_v9_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 261596 2012-06-27 11:47 gspi8688.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 2012-06-27 11:47 gspi8688_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 120924 2012-06-27 11:47 lbtf_sdio.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  96716 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8385.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2140 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8385_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 155648 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8682.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2616 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8682_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 122800 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8686_v8.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2464 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8686_v8_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 124188 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8686_v9.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2516 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8686_v9_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 259172 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8688.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2616 2012-06-27 11:47 sd8688_helper.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127824 2012-06-27 11:47 usb8388_olpc.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100292 2012-06-27 11:47 usb8388_v5.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126644 2012-06-27 11:47 usb8388_v9.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 174332 2012-06-27 11:47 usb8682.bin

Thanks for your help!
Uli

Donny3000
Hmm, try only executing modprobe libertas_sdio.  I don't think you need to execute modprobe libertas to load the libertas module.  It should get loaded automatically at the appropriate time after modprobe libertas_sdio is executed.

Re: Did they ever solve the slow bring up of wifiproblem?

ulih
Yes, I did that before. I only load libertas first to enable debugging, before loading libertas_sdio.