Quantcast

Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

srinath
Hi

 just bought a Gumstix iron storn, Tobi and Robovero expansion boards,
The gumstix was booting well under Tobi
the Robovero worked by itself (I checked at first without gumstix)
After everything looking good. I connected the gumstix. After 5sec. the wlan chip goes hot. I disconnect the power.  And try'd again on tobi, now it doesn't boot anymore.

So what do i do ?

Regards
Srinath

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

Neil MacMunn
Hi Srinath,

Sorry to hear about your problems booting. Can you give a little more detail about your setup? How are you powering the RoboVero and Tobi? Do you have anything else connected, etc?

-
Neil

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Srinath M <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

 just bought a Gumstix iron storn, Tobi and Robovero expansion boards,
The gumstix was booting well under Tobi
the Robovero worked by itself (I checked at first without gumstix)
After everything looking good. I connected the gumstix. After 5sec. the wlan chip goes hot. I disconnect the power.  And try'd again on tobi, now it doesn't boot anymore.

So what do i do ?

Regards
Srinath

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

sandmen
Neil,
Srinath and I working together on this project.

Did not boot, means.
The sd-card, is the same, as before.
I put the comstix to the tobi board, connect the usb to the console.
The Green LED is on.
Powering up, with the power supply.
The LED near the RJ45 connector is going to light red and after a short time it gos to low red.
Only the middle LED (green) is lightning on the gumstix board.
Nothing more.
On the serial device, I get only one char.

Peter

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

sandmen
By the way,
my 2 gumstix, works with the tobi board pretty well.
It's the same sd-card, the same Tobi board, and the same power supply.

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

Neil MacMunn
Do you have access to a multimeter?

What is the version code printed on your RoboVero? (should be a sticker with BRD30019-RXXXX)

-
Neil

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM, sandmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
By the way,
my 2 gumstix, works with the tobi board pretty well.
It's the same sd-card, the same Tobi board, and the same power supply.

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

sandmen
Yes, multimeter, oszi, here.

Here the number from Gumstix.
W/O 29186 13-33
GS3703FE-R3949
INN W/O# 73398

Neil,
I'm new to Robovero & Gumstix.
But on the Robovero board, there are one smd-part, that not allow to fit the gumstix in one direction.
If I turn the gumstix, it fit's, but maybe it touch the smd-part from robovero.
I have done some pictures. Should I post it here?

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

acsmith
This post was updated on .
sandmen wrote
Yes, multimeter, oszi, here.

Here the number from Gumstix.
W/O 29186 13-33
GS3703FE-R3949
INN W/O# 73398

Neil,
I'm new to Robovero & Gumstix.
But on the Robovero board, there are one smd-part, that not allow to fit the gumstix in one direction.
If I turn the gumstix, it fit's, but maybe it touch the smd-part from robovero.
I have done some pictures. Should I post it here?
Sounds like you put it on backwards, that probably caused your wifi issues.  The holes on the Overo have to line up with the holes on the Robovero.  Older revisions of the Robovero won't mount to new Overo boards, there's a capacitor on the Overo that lines up directly on top of the L3 component on the Robovero.  You need R4000 (some R3902 have it fixed too) of the Robovero to properly mount any new Overo COMs.

Mount the Overo properly to you Tobi and see if it works.  Get yourself a new version of the Robovero.

By the way, the revision you listed above isn't the revision of the Robovero, Neil was asking for the Rxxx on the Robovero board.  I'm guessing your board is R517 or R3277.

Andrew

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

sandmen
Yes, was the number from overo.

acsmith wrote
Sounds like you put it on backwards, that probably caused your wifi issues.  The holes on the Overo have to line up with the holes on the Robovero.  Older revisions of the Robovero won't mount to new Overo boards, there's a capacitor on the Overo that lines up directly on top of the L3 component on the Robovero.  You need R4000 (some R3902 have it fixed too) of the Robovero to properly mount any new Overo COMs.
Andrew
Exactly this is the problem.
On the "correct" direction, it doesn't fit, because the smd part.
So, I mounted on the other direction :-(
Because here it fit's.

acsmith wrote
Mount the Overo properly to you Tobi and see if it works.
Already done. Nope.

acsmith wrote
Get yourself a new version of the Robovero.
Fyi, we orderd 2xGumstix Firestorm and 2xRobovero, all together.
Arround 4 weeks ago!!!!

acsmith wrote
By the way, the revision you listed above isn't the revision of the Robovero, Neil was asking for the Rxxx on the Robovero board.  I'm guessing your board is R517 or R3277.
RoboVero
WO 28907 13-16
BRD30019

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

acsmith
sandmen wrote
RoboVero
WO 28907 13-16
BRD30019
None of those are your board revisions. It should be BRD30019-Rxxxx.

Whatever it is, sounds like that's your problem. I don't know if you Overo's are ok but your Robovero boards definitely need to be replaced before you can use them with functioning Overos. I guess my best suggestion would be to get in contact with Don or sales at gumstix.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, I got in touch with gumstix and they made it right quickly.

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

sandmen
PCB30019-R3902 is the number.
A paper label was on top, so I didn't see this number.
Hiw ever, I have already send a email to service & sales.
We will see.

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

srinath
The version code for Robovero that seems incompatible with the Overo Iron storm is
R3902

How do we get a replacement?  We just get an autoreply from gumstix?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM, sandmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
PCB30019-R3902 is the number.
A paper label was on top, so I didn't see this number.
Hiw ever, I have already send a email to service & sales.
We will see.

Re: Did Robovero fry my gumstix Iron Storm

Neil MacMunn
Hi Srinath,

You will be contacted by Gumstix sales for an RMA, apologies for the trouble.

-
Neil