Did I just brick my Overo Wi-Fi?

nickolai
Hi all!
First post to the forum for me, but I've been playing around with an Overo running Yocto from SD card and an Alcatraz board for a few months now.

Long story short I ended up powering the Overos 3.3v pin with +5v because I was convinced that low voltage was causing it to get stuck in a reboot loop and never reach the login prompt. Running at 5v allowed it to boot and didn't seem to have any ill effects for quite some time, but then something strange happened.

I was running on 5v, and playing around trying to get the Wi-Fi to connect. After multiple attempts at tweaking the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf I was finally connected and online!

I pinged Google to make sure, and then issued a "sudo smart update" (Yocto's version of apt-get). Then halfway through the update the Overo rebooted and came back without a wlan0 interface at all! "ifconfig" now only shows the loopback interface, and "iw dev" gives this output: (1st try is different than 2nd)

gumstix@overo:~$ iw dev
[  992.751159] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
gumstix@overo:~$ iw dev
gumstix@overo:~$

So my question is: Did I fry the Wi-Fi module by running at 5v? Is there some other way I can check it's status or get it to come back? I even booted from a fresh SD card to make sure it wasn't corrupted software to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. In case it helps, the contents of /etc/network/interfaces:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wireless_mode managed
        wirelessP_essid any
        wpa-driver nl80211
        wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

And contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
update_config=1

network={
        scan_ssid=1
        ssid="SSID"
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

Re: Did I just brick my Overo Wi-Fi?

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

Burning up your wifi is definitely a possibility.  Try this command

"iw wlan0 scan"

see what comes back.

Andrew

Re: Did I just brick my Overo Wi-Fi?

nickolai
Hi, thanks for the suggestion,

"iw wlan0 scan" gives the default iw help output. The same as when I type "iw --help" or "iw <some invalid word>".

Is there any way to access the wlan0 interface or see current hardware from the pre-boot Overo prompt?