Quantcast

DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
I need to be able to use the DSP while also using the robovero.  Of course, using the robovero means I need to use kernel 2.6.36 or later, while it seems most success for using the DSP is with kernel 2.6.34

I followed the jumpnow tutorial and was able to get the DSP working with 2.6.34 as a starting point.

I then tried following what DaWaN did in this post;
http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Using-TI-DSP-link-with-3-0-0-kernel-td4626788.html

but I couldn't figure how to use the 3.0.0 kernel...  should there be a "linux-omap3_3.0.0.bb" recipe?  If so, where can I get it?

I tried instead using "linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb".  It successfully built and was able to run on the overo, however the DSP was not working...

I suppose another option is to fix the cdc_acm module in 2.6.34 so it will work with the robovero.  has there been any success with that?

by the way, this is on an overo firestorm.

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

acsmith
Hi Jeff,

I was in the same boat.  I wanted to use the DSP and the Robovero board.  Initially I had the DSP and gstreamer running with the Caspa & usb camera but when I added the Robovero the cdc_acm module wouldn't load the ttyACM0 device.  I tried compiling and reloading the module in 2.6.34 but it wouldn't work.  Therefore, I did what you're talking about, I switched to 2.6.39 which has no problems with the Robovero.  However, as you've noticed the DSP has issues but to fix it all you have to do is follow what Stephen did in that post linux-utils.  Basically you just change the linux-utils to 3_22_00_02 (download the bitbake recipe), rebuild your image (I used omap3-console-image) and you should be good to go.  I made the one change and was able to compile and run gstreamer code with the DSP to compress and stream video (from USB not caspa).  Also no problems running Robovero functions (with python and c++).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
Thanks, Andrew

I did change the ti-linux-utils version... it turns out the DSP wasn't working because I forgot to allocate the memory in mmcargs!  Anyway, the DSP now works.  I tested it with videotestsrc, and it works fine.  However when I plug in a webcam it doesn't work.  I can see when the webcam is plugged in that it is detected and identified correctly (logitech c920), but it doesn't show up when I type lsusb, and it is not listed as /dev/video0.

I haven't had much time to investigate this, but I'll look at it some more tomorrow and report back.  This, by the way, is on the Tobi (which I like using to get things going since I (usually) can log in through ethernet).  Another weird thing though is that the ethernet port isn't working on the tobi with this 2.6.39 kernel.  I looked into this briefly and it seems to be a known issue.  I'm not too concerned about this anyway since ultimately its going to be on a robovero.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM, acsmith [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/DSP-robovero-and-3-0-0-tp4964810p4964814.html
To unsubscribe from DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0, click here.

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

xname
hello jeff,
DSP worked for me on Overo Firestorm with kernel 3.22

Follow jumpnow instructions but:

- insert ti-linuxutils-3.22...bb in org.../recipes/images...
- change preferred_version_ti_linuxutils to "3.22.00.02"
  in org.../conf/distro/include/anstrom....version.inc

so to say:
download the correct version of the ti for your kernel and point to it,
otherwise you get a version mismatch.

best,
xname

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeff L <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gumstix-users] DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I need to be able to use the DSP while also using the robovero.  Of
> course,
> using the robovero means I need to use kernel 2.6.36 or later, while it
> seems most success for using the DSP is with kernel 2.6.34
>
> I followed the jumpnow tutorial and was able to get the DSP working with
> 2.6.34 as a starting point.
>
> I then tried following what DaWaN did in this post;
> http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Using-TI-DSP-link-with-3-0-0-kernel-td4626788.html
> http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Using-TI-DSP-link-with-3-0-0-kernel-td4626788.html
>
> but I couldn't figure how to use the 3.0.0 kernel...  should there be a
> "linux-omap3_3.0.0.bb" recipe?  If so, where can I get it?
>
> I tried instead using "linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb".  It successfully built and
> was able to run on the overo, however the DSP was not working...
>
> I suppose another option is to fix the cdc_acm module in 2.6.34 so it will
> work with the robovero.  has there been any success with that?
>
> by the way, this is on an overo firestorm.

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

acsmith
Hi Jeff,

Yep I had the same problem with the Chestnut board and the ethernet port.  Old 2.6.34 builds that I had the DSP working had a functioning ethernet port.  However, as soon as I moved to 2.6.39 to allow the use of the Robovero the ethernet dropped.  I knew it wasn't the hardware because I could see the u-boot detecting it (I was using a network boot to debug stuff Network boot).  However, when it stopped working I wasn't too concerned because the Chestnut board is just for debugging, eventually it will be mounted on the Robovero.  However, I was happy to see that when I recently moved to kernel 3.2 the ethernet port is working again.  Therefore, I'd suggest upgrading to that.  Robovero still works and the same DSP-linux-utils fix works (provided you map the memory) so the only real change is the addition of a functional ethernet port.

About the webcam, I'm using a Logitech Pro 9000 and have never had any issues with it showing up as /dev/video0.  I also tried a Creative Labs VF0470 webcam but it didn't show up.  It must be something to do with the V4L driver, it supports some cameras but not others.

Good luck

Andrew

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
Hi Andrew,

I think I'd like to try out a later kernel like 3.2... I'm having some issues with 2.6.39 (no ethernet, not seeing webcam, and also a segmentation fault on shutdown).

How do I build the 3.2 kernel?? I'm new to bitbake, but all I would need is a recipe... something like linux-omap3_3.2.bb, right?
I don't really see how to do this / where to get this...

My build system is based completely on this tutorial;
and the latest kernel I think I can use with the available recipes is 2.6.39.

Thanks,
Jeff

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/DSP-robovero-and-3-0-0-tp4964810p4964824.html
To unsubscribe from DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0, click here.

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

acsmith
When I was recompiling the omap3-console-image I had from months ago, it was configured to use 2.6.39 by default.  However, I just redid my build environment following the exact method that you listed in your link and now my default kernel is set to 3.2.  If I run:

bitbake --show-version | grep linux-omap3

I get:

linux-omap3                        0:3.2-r103
linux-omap3-caspapx        0:2.6.34-r103

This was straight out of the box configuration, so it looks like 3.2 is the default kernel now.  I didn't have to change anything.  However, I don't think you need to rebuild your openembedded environment from scratch.  I think you can do something like this from Jumpnowtek - Bottom of page:

Add a line like this to $OVEROTOP/build/conf/local.conf

# prefer 2.6.34 over the default gumstix 2.6.36 kernel
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-omap3 = "2.6.34"

except you want version 3, so maybe change this to
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-omap3 = "3.2"

After that you should be able to run

bitbake -c rebuild virtual/kernel

I haven't done this but it makes sense it would work.  It worked for me when I wanted to switch back to kernel 2.6.34 from 2.6.39.  When you're done run
bitbake --show-versions | grep linux-omap3

and post back what comes up, I'd be interested in seeing what turns up.

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
Hi Andrew,

You were right. 'show-version' returned the same thing you get.  Last night I bitbaked the dsp-console-image with linux-omap3_3.2, and this morning it was finished with no errors.  I probably won't have a chance to test it out until later this afternoon or tonight, but I'll be sure to report back the results.  Hopefully there are no problems.

Thanks!
Jeff

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/DSP-robovero-and-3-0-0-tp4964810p4964832.html
To unsubscribe from DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0, click here.

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
ok sorry for the late reply.

Everything works fine with the 3.2 kernel!  The only weird thing is that I cannot access a webcam when plugged into the tobi, but I can when I'm plugged into the robovero.  Doesn't really matter for me though.. I am going to be using the robovero.

I'm not too thrilled with the performance of streaming video from the logitech c290, but I'm assuming thats because I have to convert colorspace.  At 640x420 I still use 99% of the cpu.  at 320x240 is goes down to about 40%.

Andrew, I think I stumbled upon your blog while trying to find a solution (specifically the H.264 RTP Video Streaming post).  I'm going to be looking into that and hopefully I can get similar performance.

Thanks again.
-Jeff

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Jeff L <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alexandru Csete
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Jeffrey Laut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok sorry for the late reply.
>
> Everything works fine with the 3.2 kernel!  The only weird thing is that I
> cannot access a webcam when plugged into the tobi, but I can when I'm
> plugged into the robovero.  Doesn't really matter for me though.. I am going
> to be using the robovero.
>
> I'm not too thrilled with the performance of streaming video from the
> logitech c290, but I'm assuming thats because I have to convert colorspace.
> At 640x420 I still use 99% of the cpu.  at 320x240 is goes down to about
> 40%.

Hi Jeff,

In a previous post you wrote that you are using a Logitech C920. This
camera has built-in H.264 compressor and you can take advantage of
that using kernels 3.2+
It's really amazing as it can deliver constant bitrate (3 Mbps) stream
regardless of resolution and with practically zero latency. The
problem is that not many applications support a V4L2 source in H.264
format but I have managed to make Gstreamer work using a workaround I
have described here:
http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/gstreamer/473-using-the-logitech-c920-webcam-with-gstreamer

I have since ported that setup to the Beaglebone which can now stream
1920x1080 video at 30 frames per second without breaking a sweat.

Alex

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
Hi Alex,

Yes, it is a c920 (that was a typo in my previous email).

I tried the code in your link very briefly (just compiled it and tried it)... the problem I'm getting right now is that I don't have a "/dev/fd/0" directory.  This seems like it should be easily fixable.  I'll play around with it today and hopefully can have it working.

Thank you for your reply!
-Jeff

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Jeffrey Laut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Yes, it is a c920 (that was a typo in my previous email).
>
> I tried the code in your link very briefly (just compiled it and tried
> it)... the problem I'm getting right now is that I don't have a "/dev/fd/0"
> directory.  This seems like it should be easily fixable.  I'll play around
> with it today and hopefully can have it working.

Weird...
/dev/fd/0 is not a directory, it's a symbolic file meaning stdin for
the application that opens it. You can also use /dev/stdin if you have
that. In fact, /dev/fd is a symbolic link to /proc/self/fd/0

If you can't get them to show up you could also use a named pipe instead.

Alex

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Jeff L
Alex,

Thanks for the great help!

following what you did on your website, gstreamer uses under 5% of the cpu!

I had to use  "/proc/self/fd/0"  directly instead of "/fd/0"

Now I just have to deal with the fact that I am trying to stream over a 3G mobile broadband connection.

-Jeff

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Alexandru Csete <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Jeffrey Laut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Yes, it is a c920 (that was a typo in my previous email).
>
> I tried the code in your link very briefly (just compiled it and tried
> it)... the problem I'm getting right now is that I don't have a "/dev/fd/0"
> directory.  This seems like it should be easily fixable.  I'll play around
> with it today and hopefully can have it working.

Weird...
/dev/fd/0 is not a directory, it's a symbolic file meaning stdin for
the application that opens it. You can also use /dev/stdin if you have
that. In fact, /dev/fd is a symbolic link to /proc/self/fd/0

If you can't get them to show up you could also use a named pipe instead.

Alex

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Alexandru Csete
That's good news!
I suspect there may be a way to reduce the bitrate in the camera but I
have not found it yet.

alex

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Jeffrey Laut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the great help!
>
> following what you did on your website, gstreamer uses under 5% of the cpu!
>
> I had to use  "/proc/self/fd/0"  directly instead of "/fd/0"
>
> Now I just have to deal with the fact that I am trying to stream over a 3G
> mobile broadband connection.
>

> -Jeff
>

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Alexandru Csete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Jeffrey Laut <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Alex,
>> >
>> > Yes, it is a c920 (that was a typo in my previous email).
>> >
>> > I tried the code in your link very briefly (just compiled it and tried
>> > it)... the problem I'm getting right now is that I don't have a
>> > "/dev/fd/0"
>> > directory.  This seems like it should be easily fixable.  I'll play
>> > around
>> > with it today and hopefully can have it working.
>>
>> Weird...
>> /dev/fd/0 is not a directory, it's a symbolic file meaning stdin for
>> the application that opens it. You can also use /dev/stdin if you have
>> that. In fact, /dev/fd is a symbolic link to /proc/self/fd/0
>>
>> If you can't get them to show up you could also use a named pipe instead.
>>
>> Alex

Re: DSP, robovero, and 3.0.0

Alexandru Csete
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Jeffrey Laut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the great help!
>
> following what you did on your website, gstreamer uses under 5% of the cpu!
>
> I had to use  "/proc/self/fd/0"  directly instead of "/fd/0"
>
> Now I just have to deal with the fact that I am trying to stream over a 3G
> mobile broadband connection.

This thread has some info about how to adjust the bitrate and other
encoder parameters:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29352442

Alex