Quantcast

Connecting Wifi on Gumstix Overo AIRSTORM-Y

Connecting Wifi on Gumstix Overo AIRSTORM-Y

szabo
Greetings,
I inherited an system using Airstorm, and am trying to upgrade it to Airstorm-Y

However, I am having trouble getting the Airstorm-Y to connect to wifi even with a prebuilt Airstorm-Y Image (specifically https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/5017/ this one)

Issue: /etc/network/interfaces doesn't exist, it does in my previous version

I follow (http://gumstix.org/software-development/how-to/252-bring-up-wifi-on-a-yocto-project-image.html) to try to connect wifi

When I boot I get: pastebin.com/jd57jafr
And I get "network unreachable when I ping my router's IP

Alternatively, I also tried the method similar to what I used in my previous version
wpa_passphrase <WIFINAME> <WIFIPASSWORD> > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf
and then used systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlan0

When I boot then I get pastebin.com/ZNqmi4QD

In which I do not get the "wpa_supplicant failed" but I do get CRDA issues

Unfortunately I don't trust Google-fu here since I know that there have been recent changes and most info seems to be for older gumstix
I am not a Linux developer, as I said I inherited this project so If some one could help me out it would be appreciated.

EDIT:
I tried making a /etc/network/interfaces file identical to old version to no change

The differences between the 2 modes of getting wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf configured is that the first is
ssid="NAME"
psk="password"
key_mgmt=WPA_PSK

the second is
ssid="NAME"
#psk="password"
psk=(A very long alphanumeric code)

FURTHER EDIT
I changed to key_mgmt=WPA-PSK now the result of the 2 modes is identical with the CRDA message

running systemctl status wpa_supplicant@wlan0 results in pastebin.com/fQCvSaDa
still unable to ping router

Re: Connecting Wifi on Gumstix Overo AIRSTORM-Y

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

First off, please sign up to the mailing list so your posts get sent out.

It looks like your steps (the initial ones, following the most recent instructions online) look good.  You can also try an image off of the dev branch (for example https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/5026/).  However, I don't expect that to make a big difference.

Could you please post your product number ... i.e GS3703Y-####?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Connecting Wifi on Gumstix Overo AIRSTORM-Y

szabo
Okay I am fairly certain I've subscribed to the mailing list.

My Product number is:
 GS3703AY-R4409

Also, when it comes to Creating the bootable SD card I've been following these instructions (http://gumstix.org/getting-started-guide/242-create-a-bootable-microsd-card.html) for the Yocto however, I see 9 files (including the readme) while the instructions only load 4, with out using the .ubi's. Is this expected or is there a different method I should be using?

Edit:
:/ looks like I'm still not in the mailing list...

Re: Connecting Wifi on Gumstix Overo AIRSTORM-Y

szabo
I've subscribed to the mailing list several times, I think a mod needs to approve it at this point I've gotten the
"
Dear Nabble user:

please follow the link below to turn off list mail delivery to your email address:"
Email

Also, I got my WIFI up.
What I did was:
deleted the /etc/network/interfaces I made

Edited wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf to the following

ssid="SSID"
proto=WPA2
psk="Password"
keymgmt=WPA-PSK
country=US

reboot

looked for the open WIFI's using the network manager:
nmcli dev wifi list

Then connected manually with
nmcli device wifi connect "SSID" password "Password"

I can ping my router now, even after reboot, as well as SSH into my Gumstix

Re: Connecting Wifi on Gumstix Overo AIRSTORM-Y

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

Glad you got stuff working ... so does this resolve all your issues?

Andrew