Compiling help?

Jason Wozniak
Hi,
I have not purchased the gumstix yet, but I was wondering if someone
could attempt to compile qtopia opensource pda edition or opie on their
gumstix. Let me know the results. This is the largest factor in my
deciding to purchase or not to purchase a gumstix. Thank you everyone in
advance for the compiling time. It is a huge help.

-jjwoznia

Re: Compiling help?

Dave Hylands
Hi Jason,

> I have not purchased the gumstix yet, but I was wondering if someone
> could attempt to compile qtopia opensource pda edition or opie on their
> gumstix. Let me know the results. This is the largest factor in my
> deciding to purchase or not to purchase a gumstix. Thank you everyone in
> advance for the compiling time. It is a huge help.

Since building qtopia is typically alot of work, why don't you try to
build it yourself?

All of the tools are cross-compiler, so you can download buildroot and
build it yourself. You only need the gumstix to run the final image,
and you'd need someone with an LCD to try it out.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Compiling help?

Kirk Martinez
Hi - if you make a build environment by following:
http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Buildroot

You can build it and try to run it on gum1.ecs.soton.ac.uk if you
like... (assuming you don't need a tft!)
Good luck,
Kirk

Jason Wozniak wrote:

> Hi,
> I have not purchased the gumstix yet, but I was wondering if someone
> could attempt to compile qtopia opensource pda edition or opie on their
> gumstix. Let me know the results. This is the largest factor in my
> deciding to purchase or not to purchase a gumstix. Thank you everyone in
> advance for the compiling time. It is a huge help.
>
> -jjwoznia

Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, UK
+44 (0)2380 594491
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~km

Re: Compiling help?

Heilpern, Mark
I've previously compiled Qtopia PDA edition (4.2.x) using the Gumstix buildroot. I had no problems with that (using a 3.4.5 versioned GCC cross compiler).

I just built Qtopia Core (4.3rc1) using the Verdex buildroot. The defaut uClibc configuration caused compile issues which were overcome by enabling a legacy mode of the library. Without that legacy mode, there is a "#define index(a,b) strchr(a,b)", which gets in the way. With legacy mode, the #define disappears and instead there's an actual index() function.

I don't have an LCD so I can't address the results there. On the Gumstix I've viewed things running using Qt's VNC server back end. My Verdex doesn't have a network connection yet so I haven't actually viewed the results, but the VNC port gets opened so it seems to be working.

The biggest thing to be wary of (pun not intended) is flash disk space... Qt (in any flavor) is pretty huge. Figure on a minimum of 12MB, and that's only if you trim lots out of it. (Start with pruning from the fonts directory for large reductions fast.) If you don't trim anything, look for about 25MB to store it all. (The 3.3.x version is a bit smaller.)

________________________________

I have not purchased the gumstix yet, but I was wondering if someone
could attempt to compile qtopia opensource pda edition or opie on their
gumstix. Let me know the results. This is the largest factor in my
deciding to purchase or not to purchase a gumstix. Thank you everyone in
advance for the compiling time. It is a huge help.

-jjwoznia

NOTE: The information in this message is intended for the personal and confidential use
of the designated recipient(s) named above. To the extent the recipient(s) is/are bound
by a non-disclosure agreement, or other agreement that contains an obligation of
confidentiality, with AuthenTec, then this message and/or any attachments shall be
considered confidential information and subject to the confidentiality terms of that
agreement.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient named above, you
are notified that you have received this document in error, and any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
document in error, please delete the original message and notify the sender immediately.
Thank you.

AuthenTec, Inc.  http://www.authentec.com

winmail.dat (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Compiling help?

divashin
On 5/17/07, Heilpern, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The biggest thing to be wary of (pun not intended) is flash disk space... Qt (in any flavor) is pretty huge. Figure on a minimum of 12MB, and that's only if you trim lots out of it. (Start with pruning from the fonts directory for large reductions fast.) If you don't trim anything, look for about 25MB to store it all. (The 3.3.x version is a bit smaller.)

My 5M with everything I really need =)
Using  qtopia-core /tools/qconfig you can disable almost any features.
See http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/qtopiacore-features.html for details.

Re: Compiling help?

Miguez

On 5/17/07, Heilpern, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The biggest thing to be wary of (pun not intended) is flash disk space... Qt (in any flavor) is pretty huge. Figure on a minimum of 12MB, and that's only if you trim lots out of it. (Start with pruning from the fonts directory for large reductions fast.) If you don't trim anything, look for about 25MB to store it all. (The 3.3.x version is a bit smaller.)

My 5M with everything I really need =)
Using  qtopia-core /tools/qconfig you can disable almost any features.
See http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/qtopiacore-features.html for details.

Fabio Miguez