Quantcast

Compile omap3-isp.ko statically into kernel

Compile omap3-isp.ko statically into kernel

a71128
Dear all,

I am fairly new to kernel development, so please forgive me for asking  naive questions.
I am currently working with Yocto for creating image for my project.
My project requires caspa camera and therefore I have to load omap-isp.ko every time I want to use the camera.
I am currently trying to build the kernel module into a custom kernel, but couldn't seem to find the right setting in linux-gumstix menuconfig.
I have tried changing "Multimedia support", "OMAP 3 Camera support", "SoC camera support","platform camera support" ,and "Micron MT9V032 sensor support" from modularized to included. However, this setting won't make video0~6 show up in /dev ,and neither can I import omap3-isp.ko using modprobe anymore.
Would anyone give me some hint please?

Thank you.

Best,
Jeffery Hsu

Re: Compile omap3-isp.ko statically into kernel

arun
Hi,

You can build the yocto-v3.18.y kernel from the Gumstix github repository [1] using the overo defconfig available at [2] and this should enable caspa camera support on overo.

If you need further instructions on how to capture the image using the camera, please refer to the tutorial available at [3]. If you follow these instructions you wouldn't need to modprobe omap3-isp every time you need to use the camera.

Happy to help,
Arun

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM, a71128 [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Compile-omap3-isp-ko-statically-into-kernel-tp4970929.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Compile omap3-isp.ko statically into kernel

a71128
Hi Arun,
First of all, thanks for the reply.
I am currently using the master branch of the same repository and I am able to build an image that supports both caspa camera and caspa-stream-raw common.
Would you please explain the difference between yocto-v3.18.y and master branches? The comments of yocto-v3.18.y wouldn't load on my computer.
As for link [3], I have used it to test the functionality of my build, and it proves that my kernel works alright with Caspa. However, I don't see how the instructions show how to lunch caspa without loading the kernel module. If I understand it correctly, caspa-stream-raw is basically just a shell script that loads the module, sets media pipeline and lunches gstream. Would you please explain it in detail?
Thank you very much.

Best,
Jeffery Hsu

Re: Compile omap3-isp.ko statically into kernel

arun
Hi Jeffrey,

The master branch simply points to Linus tree, so it does not have all the device tree changes needed to support the caspa camera. So in order to get full caspa support you will need to use the yocto-v3.18.y branch which has caspa-related patches on top of the mainline kernel. Just make sure you build with the config I pointed earlier in order to get your /dev/video* which is needed for camera to function.

You are right in your understanding of caspa-stream-raw. However you just need to run the script once on boot and not every time before using a camera.

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Compile-omap3-isp-ko-statically-into-kernel-tp4970929p4970931.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Compile omap3-isp.ko statically into kernel

a71128
Hi Arun,

Thanks for the detail explanation.
One more question I have is how I can change the linux repo to the one you point me to.
Do I just change the linux repo in linux-gumstix_3.18.bb under meta-gumstix-extras?
Thanks

Best,
Jeffery Hsu