Compile native code on Overo

Kit

Compile native code on Overo

Kit

 I've been playing with my remote development kit now for a couple of months. I started with the linaro load, saw the Yocto load and decided to go with that. After weeks of going through documentation I concluded that it was a useless effort ( on my part ) so I've gone back to Linaro. Progress is no better.

 After working with Yocto and unable to figure how I could actually add applications to the Yocto build, burn the image to an SD and use the resulting SD for a system I decided to just add gcc and the associated support files directly to the gumstix board. I had no success here either. Running commands from the board to add the required applications failed - the instructions provided did not work and I never determined exactly how I could obtain a list of packages available for the smart command. When I did finally figure out some packages to obtain, smart responded that the file I requested did not exist and that I should maybe try 'these' packages that did exist. Doing that, smart responded that the package I asked for ( an 'on the list' package ) did not exist.

 Finally I failed back to Linaro. Hurrah, gcc is already in that load. So I obtained an app for the gumstix, ran make, and the compiler responded that it required gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi. Comfortable with apt-get and ran:
sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

To which the application responded:
Package gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi is not available, but is referred to by another package.
blah.. blah ...

E: Package 'gcc-arm-linu-gnueabi' has no installation candidate.

 All I want to do is compile code on the gumstix COM. I've read what documentation I found from multiple sources. Half of them reference the Overo COM and Yocto, then in midstream direct me to Angstrom repositories or Angstrom commands. Other sources of documentation start off talking about running Ubuntu commands and then direct me to use commands that are a function of the Yocto build.

 How do I get all the required cross-compiler applications/headers onto a Linaro build so I can compile native code?

 Oh, I've tried the xfce build in Yocto also - that failed miserably. Only the console image ever built.

Re: Compile native code on Overo

adam
Can you provide some logs or detailed steps of the stuff you tried?

Take a look at http://gumstix.org/compile-code-on-my-gumstix.html. You will find some useful tips.

Thanks,

Adam

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Kit [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Compile-native-code-on-Overo-tp4969734.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Compile native code on Overo

traylerphi
In Adam's link Linaro is the Ubuntu one - careful there's a second set of tabs midpage for the Kernel Module section.

gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi is the GNU C compiler for armel architecture?

Kit

Re: Compile native code on Overo

Kit
From a fresh load of Ubuntu on the COM.

gumstix@linaro-alip: sudo apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, o to removed and 0 not upgraded

gumstix@linaro-alip: sudo apt-get install linux-libc-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
linux-libc-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, o to removed and 0 not upgraded

Then write the hello world code and compile. Nice, now I can compile ( natively? )

Now to the cross-compile page

gumstix@linaro-alip: sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi uboot-mkimage
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source

E: Package 'gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi' has no installation candidate

gumstix@linaro-alip:

At this point I'm still on the gumstix, not host, system. The cross-compile page intro indicates I should probably be on the host. From my reading then it seems I should have all the tools I need on the gumstix to compile native code because the hello.cpp compiled and ran and the feedback from apt-get suggests installation of gnueabi is not required or doesn't exist.

hmmm .. I'm beginning to see the error of my ways. I keep bouncing between what needs to be on the host and what needs/is on the COM.

Seems the application I was building ( gpio ) was created to be compiled on the host. I modified the make file. It doesn't completely compile, yet, but it's not complaining about the compiler and at least working the compile.

Thanks Adam ...

Re: Compile native code on Overo

spritepr
Hey Kit, try following these instructions:

   http://www.jumpnowtek.com/yocto/Overo-Systems-with-Yocto.html

they should give you an image with gcc already installed (I use a modified version of this image for my own projects)

Couple of notes however.

You might need to install libsdl (sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev)

The CRDA package is currently broken:

   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/67541

you'll need to modify the recipe for it located under the meta-openembedded/meta-networking/recipes-connectivity/crda and replace the SRC_URIs from these:

   http://wireless.kernel.org/download/crda/crda-1.1.3.tar.bz2
   http://wireless.kernel.org/download/wireless-regdb/regulatory.bins/2013.01.11-regulatory.bin

to these:

   http://distfiles.lesslinux.org/crda-1.1.3.tar.bz2