Caspa camera with DSP

Steven
Has anyone got the caspa camera working with the gstreamer-ti pipeline?

I've got pipeline that works with the e-con 3.2MP camera, using about 40% CPU and 70% DSP for 640x480 @ 30Hz.  With the caspa however the framerate into the DSP seems capped at 15Hz (reported by dmaipef plugin), and it is using 100% of the CPU at 640x480 @ 15Hz.

This is what I am using

gst-launch -v v4l2src ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! TIVidenc1 codecName=h264enc engineName=codecServer ! dmaiperf print-arm-load=true engine-name=codecServer ! udpsink host=192.168.80.110 port=10000

And i'm seeing thisoutput from dmaiperf.

INFO:
Timestamp: 0:20:42.105316163; bps: 6225; fps: 14; CPU: 100; DSP: 39; mem_seg: DDR2; base: 0x87f0cfa0; size: 0x20000; maxblocklen: 0x15798; used: 0xa868; mem_seg: DDRALGHEAP; base: 0x87400000; size: 0x900000; maxblocklen: 0x765a00; used: 0x19a288; mem_seg: L1DSRAM; base: 0x10f04000; size: 0x10000; maxblocklen: 0x0; used: 0x10000;

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

Rapscallion
Hi,

I am struggling to find good info on how to install the dsp plugins, and you say that you have got them working (at least for the e-con camera)? Can I trouble you for a link, is there a good tutorial you followed?

Cheers

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

JamesAng
Hi Steven,

I'm also interested to know how to get the DSP working in Overo.

Can you share your experience with the community?

Thks in adv.

James.

Steven-132 wrote
[...]

I am seeing the same CPU/DSP usage as you with the Caspa camera doing
h264enc network streaming with gstreamer. Thanks for that dmaiperf
command.

I tried two kernels linux-omap3-2.6.34 and linux-omap-psp-2.6.32 with
the same results.

That same linux-omap-psp-2.6.32 kernel can stream an MT9P031 camera
(with my own driver) at 30 fps/640x480 with less then 15% CPU load.
I didn't measure DSP load. (I built a multi-camera kernel image for the
Overos similar to the Beagleboard.)

Sounds like there might be something in the Caspa camera driver causing
the performance problem and maybe the e-con driver too.

For the others asking about gstreamer/dsp for gumstix. What I did was
include "task-gstreamer-ti" to my image. I'll have to try it again on
a clean machine. I don't recall whether the TI downloads needed to be
done manually or not, but the prompts you get from OE should get you
going. If not ask and I'll try to help. I have only used the DSP
with gstreamer. but that's been working to stream video local or
over the network. Works much better then the smoke jpeg encoder.

Here is what I put in a custom image. I don't know if the individual
ti-xxxx components are necessary or whether task-gstreamer-ti will
automatically include them on the rootfs. Maybe you can report back
or I'll check next time I build an image.

ANGSTROM_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= " \
   task-sdk-native \
   opencv-dev \
   task-gstreamer-ti \
   gnome-vfs-plugin-http \
   gnome-vfs-plugin-ftp \
   gnome-vfs-plugin-sftp \
   ti-codec-engine \
   ti-dmai \
   ti-dspbios \
   ti-dsplib \
   ti-dsplink \
# ti-dvsdk-demos \
 "

After you boot your image, you will have to add some memory parameters
in u-boot to pass to the kernel.

These are working for me.

For 256M Overos
mem=99M@0x80000000 mem=128M@0x88000000

and for 512M Tide Overo
mem=99M@0x80000000 mem=384M@0x88000000

For gstreamer commands I used the following (my workstation is at
192.168.10.4)

On the workstation, start this before the gumstix side:

gst-launch -v udpsrc port=4000 caps="application/x-rtp, media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000, encoding-name=(string)H264" ! rtph264depay ! ffdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false

On the gumstix side

gst-launch -v v4l2src ! video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=30/1,format=\(fourcc\)UYVY,width=640,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! TIVidenc1 codecName=h264enc engineName=codecServer ! rtph264pay pt=96 ! udpsink host=192.168.10.4 port=4000

It's not always reliable starting up the first time. If it doesn't work,
shut down both sides and try again. I am only playing around with it
for now so I haven't had to troubleshoot this.

Those gstreamer commands come from this list and the examples here

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Example_GStreamer_Pipelines#Image_Encode

If you want to network stream without having the DSP, the smoke encoder
was working too.

On the workstation

gst-launch udpsrc port=4000 ! smokedec ! autovideosink

On the gumstix

gst-launch -e v4l2src ! video/x-raw-yuv,format=\(fourcc\)YUY2,width=640,height=480 ! queue ! ffmpegcolorspace ! queue ! smokeenc ! udpsink host=192.168.10.4 port=4000

At the end of the day it was pretty simple to get this working once
I stumbled on that task-gstreamer-ti recipe. Thanks go to the OE dude
who put that together.

I've tried two kernels linux-omap-psp-2.6.32 and linux-omap3-2.6.34.

Maybe that helps some.

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

JamesAng
Hi jumpnowdev,

Thanks for the quick guide.
I saw that you have quite some "how-to" guides on your site.

Maybe this TI/DSP thingy part should be included there for the benefit of the community

As I'm a beginner, I would be grateful for all the help I can get.

I'll update my experience as I goes along.

James.
jumpnowdev wrote

[...]

Maybe that helps some.

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

rlboyd
Would this same process work for any v4l2 compatible camera, a
logitech webcam for example?

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM, JamesAng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> for now so I haven't had to troubleshoot this.
>>
>> Those gstreamer commands come from this list and the examples here
>>
>> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Example_GStreamer_Pipelines#Image_Encode
>>

>> If you want to network stream without having the DSP, the smoke encoder
>> was working too.
>>
>> On the workstation
>>
>> gst-launch udpsrc port=4000 ! smokedec ! autovideosink
>>

>> On the gumstix
>>
>> gst-launch -e v4l2src !
>> video/x-raw-yuv,format=\(fourcc\)YUY2,width=640,height=480 ! queue !
>> ffmpegcolorspace ! queue ! smokeenc ! udpsink host=192.168.10.4 port=4000
>>

>> At the end of the day it was pretty simple to get this working once
>> I stumbled on that task-gstreamer-ti recipe. Thanks go to the OE dude
>> who put that together.
>>
>> I've tried two kernels linux-omap-psp-2.6.32 and linux-omap3-2.6.34.

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

Rapscallion
Hi jumpnow,

I've been trying to get the dsp encoding working, with little success. I think the biggest stumbling block is not really knowing where to find the right info.

I tried bitbaking task-gstreamer-ti

"bitbake task-gstreamer-ti"

But it 404's on http://install.source.dir.local/ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin;name=cgt6xbin

Can you help me with this? What do I need to download/install to get past this?

Regards,
Oliver

[...]

   ti-dsplink \
# ti-dvsdk-demos \

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

Chris Whittenburg
You have to manually download it from TI, using your login
credentials.  Then, place it in the proper directory and generate the
hashes for the file.

You can find it here under C6000 downloads:

https://www-a.ti.com/downloads/sds_support/CodeGenerationTools.htm

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Rapscallion
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi jumpnow,
>
> I've been trying to get the dsp encoding working, with little success. I
> think the biggest stumbling block is not really knowing where to find the
> right info.
>
> I tried bitbaking task-gstreamer-ti
>
> "bitbake task-gstreamer-ti"
>
> But it 404's on
> http://install.source.dir.local/ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin;name=cgt6xbin
>
> Can you help me with this? What do I need to download/install to get past
> this?
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>

> For the others asking about gstreamer/dsp for gumstix. What I did was
> include "task-gstreamer-ti" to my image. I'll have to try it again on
> a clean machine. I don't recall whether the TI downloads needed to be
> done manually or not, but the prompts you get from OE should get you
> going. If not ask and I'll try to help. I have only used the DSP
> with gstreamer. but that's been working to stream video local or
> over the network. Works much better then the smoke jpeg encoder.
>
> Here is what I put in a custom image. I don't know if the individual
> ti-xxxx components are necessary or whether task-gstreamer-ti will
> automatically include them on the rootfs. Maybe you can report back
> or I'll check next time I build an image.
>
> ANGSTROM_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= " \
>   task-sdk-native \
>   opencv-dev \
>   task-gstreamer-ti \
>   gnome-vfs-plugin-http \
>   gnome-vfs-plugin-ftp \
>   gnome-vfs-plugin-sftp \
>   ti-codec-engine \
>   ti-dmai \
>   ti-dspbios \
>   ti-dsplib \
>   ti-dsplink \
> # ti-dvsdk-demos \

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

ScottEllis
I ran the build on a new machine today.

I downloaded ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin

The checksums are different then before. I tried downloading twice.

Because of that, you'll need to change the checksums in the ti-cgt6x_6.1.17.bb recipe
in addition to generating the checksum files in your OE download directory as Chris said.

After that, task-gstreamer-ti built for me on a clean Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit machine using
the current gumstix-oe overo repository (with the usual perl-native, iputils, etc... fixes).

I built with PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-omap3-caspapx" in
org.openembedded.dev/conf/machine/overo.conf so I can use with the caspa camera
again.

I didn't do any testing yet.

$ cd ~/overo-oe/sources
$ ls -l ti_cgt_c6000*
-rw-r--r-- 1 scott scott 77374835 2011-07-01 11:18 ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 scott scott       74 2011-07-01 11:24 ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin.md5
-rw-rw-r-- 1 scott scott      106 2011-07-01 11:23 ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin.sha256sum

diff --git a/recipes/ti/ti-cgt6x_6.1.17.bb b/recipes/ti/ti-cgt6x_6.1.17.bb
index 7798d40..316c9a1 100644
--- a/recipes/ti/ti-cgt6x_6.1.17.bb
+++ b/recipes/ti/ti-cgt6x_6.1.17.bb
@@ -4,6 +4,7 @@ PE = "1"
 PV = "6_1_17"
 PVwithdots = "6.1.17"

-SRC_URI[cgt6xbin.md5sum] = "41ee41cc74800b06705804f7ef901447"
-SRC_URI[cgt6xbin.sha256sum] = "7e1c8b67420abf6f2f44786811d0a2b5692e76194743bed714ec9087cc1a75c7"
+SRC_URI[cgt6xbin.md5sum] = "5ee5c8e573ab0a1ba1249511d4a06c27"
+SRC_URI[cgt6xbin.sha256sum] = "0cb99e755f5d06a74db22d7c814e4dfd36aa5fcb35eeab01ddb000aef99c08c1"
+

Chris Whittenburg wrote

<oliver.henry.walters@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi jumpnow,
>
> I've been trying to get the dsp encoding working, with little success. I
> think the biggest stumbling block is not really knowing where to find the
> right info.
>
> I tried bitbaking task-gstreamer-ti
>
> "bitbake task-gstreamer-ti"
>
> But it 404's on
> http://install.source.dir.local/ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin;name=cgt6xbin
>
> Can you help me with this? What do I need to download/install to get past
> this?
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>

> For the others asking about gstreamer/dsp for gumstix. What I did was
> include "task-gstreamer-ti" to my image. I'll have to try it again on
> a clean machine. I don't recall whether the TI downloads needed to be
> done manually or not, but the prompts you get from OE should get you
> going. If not ask and I'll try to help. I have only used the DSP
> with gstreamer. but that's been working to stream video local or
> over the network. Works much better then the smoke jpeg encoder.
>
> Here is what I put in a custom image. I don't know if the individual
> ti-xxxx components are necessary or whether task-gstreamer-ti will
> automatically include them on the rootfs. Maybe you can report back
> or I'll check next time I build an image.
>
> ANGSTROM_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= " \
>   task-sdk-native \
>   opencv-dev \
>   task-gstreamer-ti \
>   gnome-vfs-plugin-http \
>   gnome-vfs-plugin-ftp \
>   gnome-vfs-plugin-sftp \
>   ti-codec-engine \
>   ti-dmai \
>   ti-dspbios \
>   ti-dsplib \
>   ti-dsplink \
> # ti-dvsdk-demos \

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

Rapscallion
This post was updated on .
Success!

Thanks for the help, it still took a bit of head-scratching, as I'm quite new to this. If anyone else is having the same troubles, and wants some step-by-steps, here's what I did..

1. Download ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin to ${OVEROTOP}/sources
2. Generate md5 and sha256 hashes for the file:
    md5sum ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin > ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin.md5
   sha256sum ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin > ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.17_setup_linux_x86.bin.sha256sum
3. Add DL_DIR = "${OVEROTOP}/sources" to ${OVEROTOP}build/conf/local.conf
4. Edit the ti-cgt6x_6.1.17.bb recipe and replace the old hash values with the new ones
6. Edit ti-cgt6x.inc and set:
     SRC_URI = "file://${OVEROTOP}/sources/ti_cgt_c6000_${PVwithdots}_setup_linux_x86.bin;name=cgt6xbin"
and
BINFILE = "ti_cgt_c6000_6.1.9_setup_linux_x86.bin"

(this file is in ${OVEROTOP}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/ti)
7. run bitbake (bitbake task-gstreamer-ti)

8. Ignore steps 1 through 7 and refer to Scott's superior tutorial below!

ScottEllis wrote
> [...]

> this?
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>

> For the others asking about gstreamer/dsp for gumstix. What I did was
> include "task-gstreamer-ti" to my image. I'll have to try it again on
> a clean machine. I don't recall whether the TI downloads needed to be
> done manually or not, but the prompts you get from OE should get you
> going. If not ask and I'll try to help. I have only used the DSP
> with gstreamer. but that's been working to stream video local or
> over the network. Works much better then the smoke jpeg encoder.
>
> Here is what I put in a custom image. I don't know if the individual
> ti-xxxx components are necessary or whether task-gstreamer-ti will
> automatically include them on the rootfs. Maybe you can report back
> or I'll check next time I build an image.

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

ScottEllis
Hi Rapscallion,

I have some differences from your notes.

DL_DIR should have already been defined for you. The default location for DL_DIR is ${OVEROTOP}/sources so I don't understand why you needed that change. It's defined in ${OVEROTOP}/build/conf/site.conf if you went by the Gumstix OE setup instructions.

I also did not have to modifie the ti-cgt6x.inc file the way you did. The change you made looks reasonable, but it seems OE figured things without that change. I tested several times with clean OETMPs.

I posted my notes here
http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gumstix-dsp-gstreamer&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=67

Let me know if you see problems.

Scott

Re: Caspa camera with DSP

Rapscallion
Scott,

Looks like a great tutorial you have there - I've updated my previous post accordingly ;)

You are most likely correct that I didn't need to change ti-cgt6x.inc. The build wasn't working so I changed a whole bunch of things at once and then it did.

Regards,
Oliver

ScottEllis wrote