Quantcast

Caspa Wiki linked desktop image kernel(2.6.35)??

Caspa Wiki linked desktop image kernel(2.6.35)??

zoso1234
Hello

I bought a Caspa recently and wanted to mess around with it. I have built my own caspa-image with bitbake but for whatever reason it won't boot yet. So I thought I would mess around with pre-built image.

From the http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Caspa_camera_boards
it links to a http://www2.sakoman.com/feeds/omap3/glibc/images/overo/201011150741/
to grab the omap3-desktop image and then add modules for the caspa. I noticed that the desktop image that is linked is for the 2.6.35 kernel and the modules for caspa are for 2.6.34. Does this make a difference? I can't seem to boot the desktop image from my Overo Fire/Tobi but I can the console based one? My main question is does the .35/.34 kernel difference matter and will it affect booting the caspa?

regards

Re: Caspa Wiki linked desktop image kernel(2.6.35)??

On 01/25/2013 02:55 PM, zoso1234 wrote:

> Hello
>
> I bought a Caspa recently and wanted to mess around with it. I have built my
> own caspa-image with bitbake but for whatever reason it won't boot yet. So I
> thought I would mess around with pre-built image.
>
> >From the http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Caspa_camera_boards
> it links to a
> http://www2.sakoman.com/feeds/omap3/glibc/images/overo/201011150741/
> to grab the omap3-desktop image and then add modules for the caspa. I
> noticed that the desktop image that is linked is for the 2.6.35 kernel and
> the modules for caspa are for 2.6.34. Does this make a difference? I can't
> seem to boot the desktop image from my Overo Fire/Tobi but I can the console
> based one? My main question is does the .35/.34 kernel difference matter and
> will it affect booting the caspa?
>
> regards

yes that is probably the cause or at least some of it. Do you not even
get anything on the console? No errors or anything?

you can also set the default kernel to build in your config, which you
could then lock to the .34 version you need for the caspa stuff.

The caspa stuff seems to be very far behind even compared to "standard"
gumstix chains. I personally avoided using their cams just because of
issues with it especially if they did not freeze their entire system
which means no more updating, or updating bit by bit to find if/what
breaks on this newest update.

Sadly many things are behind or lacking full support for gumstix. For
the overo's I still use I ditched all the OE/Yocto crap and headaches
and just went with ArchArmLinux ... They are still working out some
things, but for my use and additions to my overo, this has worked way
better for me than any Angstrom/OE/Yocto build.

To me great hardware, should have a great OS and sadly gumstix leaves
making their boards work and getting the full functionality to end
users, with very little maintained contributed and pushed from gumstix
themselves and now that we lost Steve, I only see this mess getting much
much much much worse. I would have loved to use nothing but overo's for
my use but after a year of battling with them I went a different
hardware route. But still use the stix's for random projects and things
like that.

Re: Caspa Wiki linked desktop image kernel(2.6.35)??

Andrzej Debski
Hey,if you want to mess with Caspa cameras take a look at

http://www.dobots.nl/blog/-/blogs/in-the-spotlight-linux-

and

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/James'+Notes

About 6 months ago I had the same problems with starting the caspa
camera and getting it to work.

I don't have my notes summed up but based on this post and some follow
up work, I just compiled normal 3.2 kernel, but before this I added
patch that enables caspa support from this repository

http://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/shortlog/refs/heads/board/overo/mt9v032

The thing is, you need to have proper modules checked/enabled before
building the kernel to get this all to work.

For rootfs I just used the one that open embedded created, but I copied
proper modules for 3.2 kernel.

Hope that helps.