Quantcast

Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

123

Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Thots
I followed the directions on the wiki and was able to get the Caspa camera working on the 2.6.34 kernel.  Now I'm trying to get the camera working on the kernel I'm using for development (Steve's 2.6.39pm kernel).

I've seen that at least one other thread in the mailing list talks about getting a Caspa to work on the 2.6.39 kernel:
http://old.nabble.com/Caspa-on-2.6.39-td32276754.html#a32276754

This thread does not resolve the issue of getting Caspa to work with the 2.6.39 kernel.  One of the last things the thread states is: "The MT9V032 driver is already mainline".  I don't think the MT9V032 driver is installed in the default 2.6.39 kernel.  Otherwise, the Caspa camera would probably be working for me.

(I'm just trying to modify Sakoman's 2.6.39pm kernel.  I'm trying to avoid using Bitbake to create a whole new kernel.)

Thanks for taking time to look at this,
Thots

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

itodroid
I have been down this path and you have my condolences.  It's not easy, nor
is it documented.  I got dangerously close to getting this to work when we
decided to forgo power management for now and baseline the 2.6.34 kernel.  I
will share with you some high level steps in hopes that this helps you down
the path.

1.) Grab the v2.6.39 patch for the mt9v032 sensor from TI's website.  It's
located here:
http://git.angstrom-distribution.org/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/meta-texasinstruments/
diff/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-omap-2.6.39/camera/0002-v4l-Add-mt9v032-sens
or-driver.patch?id=066b16478ede808f74a126d8bced0785af064d8b  There are
significant changes from 2.6.34 to 2.6.39.  Don't try to forward port the
2.6.34 driver.

2.) Next, get the omap3isp driver compiled into your kernel.  See the
drivers/media/video/omap3isp directory for the source.  It's natively in the
2.6.39 kernel.

3.) Once you have both the omap3isp and mt9v032 sensor in your kernel, you
have to modify the board file (board-overo.c) in order for the device to
show up.  This involves registering v4l2 devices and v4l2 subdevices.  I
successfully got the mt9v032 sensor to be registered as a subdevice.  The
following thread is useful (just remember that the sensor is a mt9v032):
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@.../msg25117.html

4.) If you succeed, you should get a bunch of /dev/video devices.  However,
you're not done yet.  You need to compile media-ctl and configure the isp
pipeline.  The following thread should be helpful here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.gumstix.general/60123

5.) After that, I believe you should have a working pipeline and should be
able to test it with yavta or ffmpeg.

Hope this helps.

PS - Eventually I will revisit this.  However, it won't be until the late
October/November timeframe.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Gerardo Richarte-2
I've also tried, and have planned to try again soon, but please, if you
do get it to work, could you take notes and share them? any format and
language would be helpful... and then, if you'd like to share your built
kernel and modules, we'll love you :)

    gera

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Thots
itodroid, thank you very much for your instructions.  They appear to really point me in the right direction.  I'm also glad you warned me against porting the 2.6.34 driver since I was considering it.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

JamesAng

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM, itodroid <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Instead of grabbing pieces of the patches here and there, I suggest you try change the preferred_provider for the kernel to use
"linux-omap" NOT "linux-omap3" and v2.6.39 already has all the necessary patches to get the MT9V032 with the correct ISP.

I tried that successfully capturing still snapshots but am still consolidating my notes before I share it as I need to get confirmation of some patches from others.

I'm looking out for a streaming application to test it too.

Steve's GNOME v3.0 image should also has all the necessary parts since he said that it's based on kernel.org's v3.0 which already has everything needed.

I intend to try and rebuild his GNOME v3.0 image using his repo but can't do any as kernel.org is down since Thursday evening (GMT+8) till now with no news of when it will be back online.

James

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

itodroid
James,

That might work, but Thots original request dealt with getting the Caspa
camera working with Steve's 2.6.39-pm kernel.  AFAIK, the bitbake receipe
for "linux-omap" does not have the power management patches for the Gumstix
Overo board.
(http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with-2639-
pm.html)  If

As for a streaming application, might I suggest ffmpeg with ffserver?  I've
successfully tested and demonstrated streaming video from a Caspa camera
over Ethernet using ffmpeg/ffserver.  You should be able to add ffmpeg to
your bitbake image receipe without too much trouble.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

JamesAng
Hi,

itodroid wrote
James,

That might work, but Thots original request dealt with getting the Caspa
camera working with Steve's 2.6.39-pm kernel.  AFAIK, the bitbake receipe
for "linux-omap" does not have the power management patches for the Gumstix
Overo board.
(http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with-2639-
pm.html)

I've not look into the PM patches in the "linux-omap" kernel as I was focusing to get the camera driver working first.
Comparing both GS's OE tree and OE's mainline tree, there are adding patches that runs for the "linux-omap" recipe.

You might want to take a look and compare against Steve's "linux-omap3" tree.

The best opinion now is to try out Steve's 3.0 kernel and using his entire repo and recipe.

Since Thursday, git.kernel.org is down and I couldn't switch to Steve's repo to build a fresh image.
His bitbake's conf file is using "angstrom-2010.x" instead of "angstrom-2008.x" as in GS.

itodroid wrote
As for a streaming application, might I suggest ffmpeg with ffserver?  I've
successfully tested and demonstrated streaming video from a Caspa camera
over Ethernet using ffmpeg/ffserver.  You should be able to add ffmpeg to
your bitbake image receipe without too much trouble.

Do you have a detail notes on setting up ffmpeg with ffserver?
Also, any simple v4l2 application that display directly to the touchscreen? like what gst-launch can do..

Thanks.

James.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

charles howard-2
Does steve's gnome console provide drivers for caspa camera

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:55 PM, JamesAng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> itodroid wrote:
>>
>> James,
>>
>> That might work, but Thots original request dealt with getting the Caspa
>> camera working with Steve's 2.6.39-pm kernel.  AFAIK, the bitbake receipe
>> for "linux-omap" does not have the power management patches for the
>> Gumstix
>> Overo board.
>> (http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with-2639-
>> pm.html)
>>

> I've not look into the PM patches in the "linux-omap" kernel as I was
> focusing to get the camera driver working first.
> Comparing both GS's OE tree and OE's mainline tree, there are adding patches
> that runs for the "linux-omap" recipe.
>
> You might want to take a look and compare against Steve's "linux-omap3"
> tree.
>
> The best opinion now is to try out Steve's 3.0 kernel and using his entire
> repo and recipe.
>
> Since Thursday, git.kernel.org is down and I couldn't switch to Steve's repo
> to build a fresh image.
> His bitbake's conf file is using "angstrom-2010.x" instead of
> "angstrom-2008.x" as in GS.
>

> itodroid wrote:
>>
>> As for a streaming application, might I suggest ffmpeg with ffserver?
>> I've
>> successfully tested and demonstrated streaming video from a Caspa camera
>> over Ethernet using ffmpeg/ffserver.  You should be able to add ffmpeg to
>> your bitbake image receipe without too much trouble.
>>

> Do you have a detail notes on setting up ffmpeg with ffserver?
> Also, any simple v4l2 application that display directly to the touchscreen?
> like what gst-launch can do..
>
> Thanks.
>
> James.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

JamesAng
Hi,

Looking at the drivers/media/video folder, the pre-compiled image does not have the driver included during compilation.

James.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Charles Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does steve's gnome console provide drivers for caspa camera

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:55 PM, JamesAng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> itodroid wrote:
>>
>> James,
>>
>> That might work, but Thots original request dealt with getting the Caspa
>> camera working with Steve's 2.6.39-pm kernel.  AFAIK, the bitbake receipe
>> for "linux-omap" does not have the power management patches for the
>> Gumstix
>> Overo board.
>> (http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with-2639-
>> pm.html)
>>

> I've not look into the PM patches in the "linux-omap" kernel as I was
> focusing to get the camera driver working first.
> Comparing both GS's OE tree and OE's mainline tree, there are adding patches
> that runs for the "linux-omap" recipe.
>
> You might want to take a look and compare against Steve's "linux-omap3"
> tree.
>
> The best opinion now is to try out Steve's 3.0 kernel and using his entire
> repo and recipe.
>
> Since Thursday, git.kernel.org is down and I couldn't switch to Steve's repo
> to build a fresh image.
> His bitbake's conf file is using "angstrom-2010.x" instead of
> "angstrom-2008.x" as in GS.
>

> itodroid wrote:
>>
>> As for a streaming application, might I suggest ffmpeg with ffserver?
>> I've
>> successfully tested and demonstrated streaming video from a Caspa camera
>> over Ethernet using ffmpeg/ffserver.  You should be able to add ffmpeg to
>> your bitbake image receipe without too much trouble.
>>

> Do you have a detail notes on setting up ffmpeg with ffserver?
> Also, any simple v4l2 application that display directly to the touchscreen?
> like what gst-launch can do..
>
> Thanks.
>
> James.

James

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Thots
I'm still attempting to get the caspa camera working with steve's 2.6.39pm kernel.  However, I got stuck on part 3 of itodroid's instructions (which have been very helpful).

"3.) Once you have both the omap3isp and mt9v032 sensor in your kernel, you
have to modify the board file (board-overo.c) in order for the device to
show up.  This involves registering v4l2 devices and v4l2 subdevices.  I
successfully got the mt9v032 sensor to be registered as a subdevice.  The
following thread is useful (just remember that the sensor is a mt9v032):
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@.../msg25117.html"

I got stuck at the part of actually registering the v4l2 device and subdevice.  I found this helpful patch that got me started in the right direction:
Add Caspa Camera Support:
http://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git/blobdiff/4729f339f61e26d35902ffddade5863c4a9be474..03d75303358d40ea96596a6c8f49ca534af1e28c:/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c

However, I'm not sure if the patch ever registers the subdevice.  Also, when I boot up the gumstix, I never see any video device under the "/dev" directory.  Does anyone have suggestions for registering the device in order for it to show up as a video device in the "/dev" directory?

Here is the biggest part of the patch in board-overo.c:
#if defined(CONFIG_VIDEO_OMAP3) || defined(CONFIG_VIDEO_OMAP3_MODULE)

#include <media/mt9v032.h>
#include <media/omap3isp.h>
#include "../../../drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h"
#include "devices.h"

#define MT9V032_I2C_ADDR               0x5c
#define MT9V032_I2C_BUS_NUM            3

static void mt9v032_set_clock(struct v4l2_subdev *subdev, unsigned int rate)
{
       struct isp_device *isp = v4l2_dev_to_isp_device(subdev->v4l2_dev);

       isp->platform_cb.set_xclk(isp, rate, ISP_XCLK_A);
}

static struct mt9v032_platform_data caspa_mt9v032_platform_data = {
       .clk_pol = 0,
       .set_clock = mt9v032_set_clock,
};

static struct i2c_board_info caspa_camera_i2c_device = {
       I2C_BOARD_INFO("mt9v032", MT9V032_I2C_ADDR),
       .platform_data = &caspa_mt9v032_platform_data,
};

static struct isp_subdev_i2c_board_info caspa_camera_subdevs[] = {
        {
               .board_info = &caspa_camera_i2c_device,
               .i2c_adapter_id = MT9V032_I2C_BUS_NUM,
        },
        { NULL, 0 },
};

static struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group caspa_camera_subdev_groups[] = {
       {
               .subdevs = caspa_camera_subdevs,
               .interface = ISP_INTERFACE_PARALLEL,
               .bus = { .parallel = {
                       .data_lane_shift        = ISP_LANE_SHIFT_0,
                       .clk_pol                = 0,
                       .bridge                 = ISP_BRIDGE_DISABLE,
               } },
       },
       { NULL, 0, },
};

static struct isp_platform_data caspa_isp_platform_data = {
       .subdevs = caspa_camera_subdev_groups,
};

static int __init caspa_camera_init(void)
{
printk("Samuel start to claim long long long long resource\n");
printk("Samuel start to claim resource\n");
       return omap3_init_camera(&caspa_isp_platform_data);
}

#else
static inline void caspa_camera_init(void) {}
#endif

itodroid wrote
James,

That might work, but Thots original request dealt with getting the Caspa
camera working with Steve's 2.6.39-pm kernel.  AFAIK, the bitbake receipe
for "linux-omap" does not have the power management patches for the Gumstix
Overo board.
(http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with-2639-
pm.html)  If

As for a streaming application, might I suggest ffmpeg with ffserver?  I've
successfully tested and demonstrated streaming video from a Caspa camera
over Ethernet using ffmpeg/ffserver.  You should be able to add ffmpeg to
your bitbake image receipe without too much trouble.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

itodroid
Here's the patch file I was using.  This might help.  It looks awful close
to yours, although, there are a few key differences:

From: itodroid <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:56:41 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] board-overo updates for caspa

---
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c |   68
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-

diff --git a/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c
b/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c
index 84563ef..50a0654 100644
--- a/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c
+++ b/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-overo.c
@@ -665,12 +665,76 @@ static struct i2c_board_info __initdata
overo_i2c_boardinfo[] = {
  },
 };

+#include "../../../drivers/media/video/mt9v032.h"
+#include "../../../drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h"
+#include "../../../drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispreg.h"
+#include "devices.h"
+
+#define MT9V032_I2C_ADDR (0x5C)
+#define MT9V032_I2C_BUS_NUM (0x03)
+
+static void mt9v032_sensor_set_clock(struct v4l2_subdev *s, unsigned int
rate)
+{
+ struct isp_device *isp = v4l2_dev_to_isp_device(s->v4l2_dev);
+ //return isp_set_xclk(isp, xclkfreq, OMAP34XXCAM_XCLK_A);
+ isp->platform_cb.set_xclk(isp, rate, ISP_XCLK_A);
+}
+
+/*
+ * structure containing pointers to i2c camera functions
+ */
+static struct mt9v032_platform_data mt9v032_platform_data = {
+ .clk_pol = 0,
+ .set_clock = mt9v032_sensor_set_clock,
+};
+
+/*
+ * structure used to initialize i2c communications to camera
+ */
+static struct i2c_board_info __initdata mt9v032_i2c_board_info[] = {
+ {
+ I2C_BOARD_INFO("mt9v032", MT9V032_I2C_ADDR),
+ .platform_data = &mt9v032_platform_data,
+ },
+};
+
+static struct isp_subdev_i2c_board_info caspa_camera_subdevs[] = {
+ {
+ .board_info = &mt9v032_i2c_board_info[0],
+ .i2c_adapter_id = MT9V032_I2C_BUS_NUM,
+ },
+ { NULL, 0 },
+};
+
+static struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group caspa_camera_subdevs_group[] = {
+ {
+ .subdevs = caspa_camera_subdevs,
+ .interface = ISP_INTERFACE_PARALLEL,
+ .bus = { .parallel = {
+ .data_lane_shift = 0,
+ .clk_pol = 0,
+ .bridge = ISPCTRL_PAR_BRIDGE_DISABLE,
+ } },
+ },
+ { NULL, 0 },
+};
+
+static struct isp_platform_data caspa_isp_platform_data = {
+ .subdevs = caspa_camera_subdevs_group,
+};
+
+static int __init caspa_camera_init(void)
+{
+ return omap3_init_camera(&caspa_isp_platform_data);
+}
+
 static int __init overo_i2c_init(void)
 {
  omap_register_i2c_bus(1, 2600, overo_i2c_boardinfo,
  ARRAY_SIZE(overo_i2c_boardinfo));
  /* i2c2 pins are used for gpio */
- omap_register_i2c_bus(3, 400, NULL, 0);
+ omap_register_i2c_bus(3, 400, mt9v032_i2c_board_info,
+ ARRAY_SIZE(mt9v032_i2c_board_info));
  return 0;
 }

@@ -823,6 +887,8 @@ static void __init overo_init(void)
  overo_init_keys();
  overo_opp_init();

+ caspa_camera_init();
+
  /* Ensure SDRC pins are mux'd for self-refresh */
  omap_mux_init_signal("sdrc_cke0", OMAP_PIN_OUTPUT);
  omap_mux_init_signal("sdrc_cke1", OMAP_PIN_OUTPUT);
--
1.7.3.5

itodroid wrote:

> James,
>

> That might work, but Thots original request dealt with getting the
> Caspa camera working with Steve's 2.6.39-pm kernel.  AFAIK, the
> bitbake receipe for "linux-omap" does not have the power management
> patches for the Gumstix Overo board.
> (http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with
> -2639-
> pm.html)  If
>

> As for a streaming application, might I suggest ffmpeg with ffserver?
> I've
> successfully tested and demonstrated streaming video from a Caspa
> camera over Ethernet using ffmpeg/ffserver.  You should be able to add
> ffmpeg to your bitbake image receipe without too much trouble.

Hi all Caspa-Users,

JamesAng wrote
Hi,

[...]

Sorry it took me this long to get my notes right for building a recent kernel with MT9V032 support.

As known to all that the MT9V032 driver has changed to Media-Control Framework model in >=2.6.37 and also significant changes to the OMAP3ISP portion too..

Thus in order to get the MT9V032 to work, 2 major pieces of the puzzle must be present and enabled in the kernel.

1) MC-aware OMAP3ISP
2) MC-aware MT9V032 device driver

I couldn't do a fresh recompilation with customized defconfig of Steven's 3.0 image and associating recipes from his repo due to the 'downtime' at kernel.org which many bitbake recipes wanted to access from.

For those who can do a recompilation, please ENABLE the necessary option as per TI's PSP wiki
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/UserGuideOmap35xCaptureDriver_PSP_04.02.00.07#Configuration_Steps

I enabled them permanently (NOT as module) as warned in the wiki.

Add the following patch for board-overo.c
0001-board-overo-Add-Caspa-camera-support.patch

Inside this patch, there is a section of additional comments about the board which Laurent's wishes for Gumstix to comment/address on. Others are welcome to comment on their findings too.

For me if I remove that portion of the patch, the board with hang when I run Laurent's yavta application to test the pipeline.

Good luck to everyone on their try~!..

I'm waiting eagerly start a fresh bitbake cycle to try out Steven's repo and image once kernel.org is up..

Please feedback whatever result you may have on this journey.

Cheers~!

James.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Thots
James, congrats on getting the MT9V032 sensor up and running on the 3.0 kernel.

I'm still working on getting the sensor to work on Steve's 2.6.39pm kernel.  I finally got the video devices to register under the "/dev" directory.  The patch I was using worked after all.  My problem was that the "iommu2" module needed to be loaded before the omap3isp module.

Now my problem is that I'm having a very hard time installing media-ctl to configure the pipeline.  When running "autoreconf --install" at first I was getting an error about:
Can't locate Autom4te/ChannelDefs.pm in @INC (@INC contains: @autom4te_perllibdir@ /etc/perl ...

This same problem was mentioned in this thread:
http://old.nabble.com/Native-Compilation-in-Overo-td32370631.html

I got past the first error by creating a "/etc/perl" directory and copying Autom4te from "/usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te" to the new "/etc/perl" directory I created.

Now I'm running into this error:
cp: cannot stat '@gnu-configdir@/config.guess': No such file or directory

Any suggestions on how to get past this?  I have a feeling this this bitbake recipe might fix these autoreconf errors I'm running into
http://cgit.bec-systems.com/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/gnu-config/gnu-config_git.bb?id=edcdefbf6e0675c1bcc1fc4f464f654223380e50
but I'm using steve's kernel and not bitbake.

Also, the INSTALL directions for media-ctl say the next command I need to run is:
$ ./configure [--with-kernel-headers=DIR] [--host=TYPE]
Does anyone know what parameters to enter for  [--with-kernel-headers=DIR] and [--host=TYPE]?

Thanks for all the help that got me this far,
-Thots

JamesAng wrote
Hi all Caspa-Users,

JamesAng wrote
Hi,

James.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

JamesAng
Hi Thots,

Thots wrote
[...]

Same goes to you on your success to get the device registered. (^^)

A correction is that I only get it to work with linux-omap-2.6.39 kernel instead of steven's linux-omap3-2.6.39 nor 3.0 kernel.

For media-ctl, I couldn't get it to compile on my Overo natively and I ended up doing it via cross-compilation using bitbake as per Scott's page.

Because of this reliance on bitbake downloading the proper toolchain onto overotmp folder, I couldn't process with doing so for Steve's 3.0-pm kernel which I planned as he is using "angstrom-2010" instead of "angstrom-2008",

Bitbake refused to process without a fresh working folder for the new version of toolchain used..

Tough luck with Kernel.org down for over 2wks..

James.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Thots
I finally finished installing media-ctl.  I had to get past a few different "autoreconf --install" and "./configure" errors.  I forget exactly how I got past the config.guess problem.  I think I just copied the file to a different location.

One problem I had to get past was figuring out what to use for the "--with-kernel-headers" parameter when running ./configure.  It turns out first I needed to run "make ARCH=arm headers_install" from my linux kernel folder.  Then I needed to move the resulting folder onto my gumstix.  This is the location "--with-kernel-headers" should be set to.

After installing media-ctl, I was able to run yavta.  It ran properly, but it saves the pictures it takes in a .bin file.  I haven't yet been able to verify the images look correct.

Here are the commands I used for media-ctl and yavta:
(This first command just displays media-ctl information and can be skipped)
media-ctl -p

media-ctl -r -l '"mt9v032 3-005c":0->"OMAP3 ISP CCDC":0[1], "OMAP3 ISP CCDC":1->"OMAP3 ISP CCDC output":0[1]'

media-ctl -f '"mt9v032 3-005c":0[SGRBG10 752x480 (2,10)/752x480], "OMAP3 ISP CCDC":1[SGRBG10 752x480]'

./yavta -p -f SGRBG10 -s 752x480 -n 4 --capture=10 --skip 9 -F `media-ctl -e "OMAP3 ISP CCDC output"`

Right now, my main goal is to is to get the Caspa camera and MT9V032 sensor recognized by Linux programs like Cheese.  For example, after following all the instructions on the gumstix wiki for patching the 2.6.34 kernel to work with the caspa camera, Cheese would automatically recognize the camera and start displaying video.

http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Caspa_camera_boards

Here is part of an e-mail I received from the very smart Laurent Pinchart who's done a lot of hard work on the Linux ISP code:

   -me
   > Also, I'm really wondering how I am going to get other Linux
   > applications to use the Caspa camera with the MT9V032 sensor.  I
   > remember that a while ago there was a modified gumstix Linux kernel
   > (2.6.34 maybe) that worked with the MT9V032 sensor and Caspa camera.
   > When Linux applications like Cheese were turned on, they would
   > automatically recognize the camera and start displaying the video.
   > What do I need to do to make the Caspa camera automatically detected
   > by programs like Cheese?

   -Laurent
   "You will need to configure the pipeline first, and the run a V4L2
   application to capture video. As applications usually can't handle Bayer
   formats properly, you will need to include the preview engine and
   resizer in the pipeline to get YUV at the output of the pipeline, and
   capture from the resizer output video node.

   A libv4l plugin for the OMAP3 ISP is planned, but no work has been done
   it. It will let applications using libv4l use the OMAP3 ISP
   transparently."

I'm guessing this work must have been done for the 2.6.34 kernel in the MT9V032 patch since this patch allowed Cheese to automatically recognize the camera.
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/sources/mt9v032-2.6.34.patch

Does anyone know if we can use part of this patch for getting Linux applications to automatically recognize the Caspa camera?  If so, what part?  Or perhaps is there a better way to go about this than using the patch at all?

Getting Linux applications like Cheese to recognize the Caspa camera would be great.

JamesAng wrote
Hi Thots,

Same goes to you on your success to get the device registered. (^^)

A correction is that I only get it to work with linux-omap-2.6.39 kernel instead of steven's linux-omap3-2.6.39 nor 3.0 kernel.

For media-ctl, I couldn't get it to compile on my Overo natively and I ended up doing it via cross-compilation using bitbake as per Scott's page.

Because of this reliance on bitbake downloading the proper toolchain onto overotmp folder, I couldn't process with doing so for Steve's 3.0-pm kernel which I planned as he is using "angstrom-2010" instead of "angstrom-2008",

Bitbake refused to process without a fresh working folder for the new version of toolchain used..

Tough luck with Kernel.org down for over 2wks..

James.

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

Steve Sakoman
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Thots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally finished installing media-ctl.  I had to get past a few different
> "autoreconf --install" and "./configure" errors.  I forget exactly how I got
> past the config.guess problem.  I think I just copied the file to a
> different location.
>
> One problem I had to get past was figuring out what to use for the
> "--with-kernel-headers" parameter when running ./configure.  It turns out
> first I needed to run "make ARCH=arm headers_install" from my linux kernel
> folder.  Then I needed to move the resulting folder onto my gumstix.  This
> is the location "--with-kernel-headers" should be set to.
>
> After installing media-ctl, I was able to run yavta.  It ran properly, but
> it saves the pictures it takes in a .bin file.  I haven't yet been able to
> verify the images look correct.

I too have been attempting to get the Caspa working with Linux 3.0. I
have the Caspa support
integrated into the kernel now (the 2 most recent commits):

http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/omap-3.0-pm

The defconfig I used to build the kernel is in my OE repo:

http://www.sakoman.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openembedded.git;a=blob;f=recipes/linux/linux-sakoman-pm-3.0/omap3-multi/defconfig;h=4f2c9f7d0830ef4030043248db3f881ceed0570b;hb=f06b8114a82705362c0fb89af97ff9e8286b4080

And my latest GNOME image binary has the above kernel as well as the
media-ctl and yavta utilities for testing:

http://sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html

Things look good until I try to capture something, then the system
locks up :-(

I used the same commands that you describe below.

Were you using a 3.0 kernel or 2.6.39?

I guess the other difference is that I cross compiled the media-ctl
and yavta apps.

Time to debug I guess :-(

Regards,

Steve

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Things look good until I try to capture something, then the system
> locks up :-(

Ash tried my GNOME binaries and was successful capturing frames, so I
suspect I have hardware issues.

If anyone else tries it please post your results here!

Steve

Steve

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Thots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using your 2.6.39pm kernel.

Looks like my issue was a bad cable -- after replacing it I can now
capture with the 3.0 kernel.

Steve

> sakoman wrote:
>>
>> Were you using a 3.0 kernel or 2.6.39?
>>
>> I guess the other difference is that I cross compiled the media-ctl
>> and yavta apps.
>>
>> Time to debug I guess :-(
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve

Re: Caspa Camera on 2.6.39 Kernel

itodroid
Steve,

Does your 3.0 kernel have the OMAP power management features merged into it?
What version of the 3.0 kernel are you using?  (are you using the omap-3.0,
omap-3.0-pm heads or something else?)

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Thots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using your 2.6.39pm kernel.

Looks like my issue was a bad cable -- after replacing it I can now capture
with the 3.0 kernel.

Steve

> sakoman wrote:
>>
>> Were you using a 3.0 kernel or 2.6.39?
>>
>> I guess the other difference is that I cross compiled the media-ctl
>> and yavta apps.
>>
>> Time to debug I guess :-(
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve