Quantcast

Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

golgobot
Hi, I've searched the mailing list for my particular problem and couldn't find a solution, so I thought posting was appropriate.

I have a RoboVero expansion board with a Overo AirSTORM COM attached. I followed the instruction to create a bootable MicroSD card here. I've tried both the current gnome build and the current console build for overo. The script finished successfully without any errors both times.

When I try to connect to the Overo COM via a serial connection, I'm never able to see the bootup sequence. I've followed the instructions here for both Linux (using kermit and minicom) and Windows (using putty) with exactly the same results: I never see any output or a bootup sequence, nor am I able to communicate. Note that I'm able to set up a serial connection with the RoboVero without any problems.

I noticed that when I plug in the USB, my computer sees not one, but two USB devices, not including the RoboVero. This is true for both windows and linux. In windows it shows up as COM3 and COM4, and in linux it shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 (I'm wondering if this is because the sakoman script creates two partitions on the MicroSD card?)

USB ports on linux

UBS ports on Window

When I plug in the power source, the blue led on the Overo COM is blinking, so obviously something is going on, but I cannot seem to connect via USB.

Another weird thing I noticed was that the Overo reset button on the RoboVero does not appear to do anything. That is, when I press the reset button, the blue LED on the Overo COM doesn't break, or stop rapidly blinking.

I really want to get this up and running and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

derekjchow

A few thoughts come to mind.

Did you change the MLO on the SD card? The Overo Storm series requires an updated MLO in order to boot properly. The Sakoman script may put and older version on your card. Typically, cards without the correct MLO will display some text, but then hang. Do you see these symptoms? You can get the updated MLO here: http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/

Did you try connecting to both serial ports? I believe Robovero creates two serial ports since one port connects to the LPC microcontroller and the other connects to the Overo COM.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM, golgobot [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Cannot-connect-to-Overo-COM-using-Serial-Connection-tp4964811.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

golgobot
Hi thanks for the reply.

 I'll try to use the updated MLO, though I'm not sure I know what to do with the updated file...

I've tried connecting to both ports of course, but I don't even see any text.

In actuality, there are three ports (look at the screenshot of the windows device manager). One is labeled RoboVero, and that is what I use to connect to the LPC microcontroller, the other two are COM3 and COM4, again not sure why there are two.

When I try to connect to COM3 or COM4 in putty, the terminal remains black, and when I try to connect to ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 in kermit , it hangs right here:

Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0, speed 115200 Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled Type
the escape character followed by C to get back, or followed by ? to see other options.

Any other ideas?

Re: Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

acsmith
Hi,

I don't think you can get access to the Overo serial console while it's mounted to the Robovero.  The two standard USB ports (ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 or COM3 and COM4) that are created when you plug into the mini-B are the two host USB ports that are mounted on the Robovero.  The third serial port (ttyACM0 in Linux) is a port to communicate with the onboard microcontroller.  It's my understanding that as soon as you plug into the mini-B port, the usb hub commander gives full control to usb devices to your computer and basically disconnects the Overo.  So long story short, I don't think you can get access to the Overo serial console while connected to the Robovero over USB, you need to have the wireless setup so you can SSH in.

What I do is setup my Overo on another board (Chestnut) and have the Robovero connected to the Chestnut through USB (host usb port on Chestnut connected to mini-b port on Robovero).  This allows the Overo access to all Robovero devices as it would if it were directly mounted on the Robovero.  It also allows you to use the console mini-b port on the Chestnut board so you can debug your Overo image and set things up.  Once all testing is complete you move the Overo onto the Robovero and go.  Provided you setup the wireless you'll still have access to command line via SSH.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Re: Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

golgobot
Thanks for the reply Andrew. It looks like I'll have to get another board to setup the wireless for ssh. Hmmm, that's really disappointing. Where did you find this information on the RoboVero? I scoured the internet and the RoboVero developer website and couldn't find any information on that, or much of any information at all. It's something that should be front and center on the RoboVero How-To. I probably wasted an entire weekend trying to figure this problem out. I also cannot find any documentation on the RoboVero CLI besides 'list' which barfs enough commands that it overflows putty's line buffer. Maybe there's a command to open a port for serial communication to the Overo COM? Although, it would have seemed reasonable to make that the default behavior.

Thanks Again. Is there a website that has better documentation on RoboVero, but isn't the 900 page manual for the processor?

-Jonathan

Battery Backup

Dan Nelson
I'm looking at the Tobi board.  What is the recommended backup battery
and what kind of life does it have to keep the Overo RTC running?

Thanks
Dan

Re: Battery Backup

Alexander Thomas-8
The recommended battery is the ML-621S/ZTN, as mentioned on this
succinct wiki page:
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Coin_cell

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking at the Tobi board.  What is the recommended backup battery
> and what kind of life does it have to keep the Overo RTC running?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Alexander Thomas
Research Engineer

eSATURNUS NV
T +32 16 40 12 82
M +32 477 51 63 62
http://www.esaturnus.com

Re: Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

acsmith
Hi Jonathan,

Ya I know that's frustrating.  I could be wrong about the console (maybe as you say there's a way to go through the Robovero) but so far I haven't found one ... mostly because I'm not looking.  Pretty much every bit of information I've aquired has been drawn from here or Robovero.org.  As you've said, the documentation isn't really for the faint of heart, to really understand it you have to dig in and get your hands dirty by playing around with stuff.  For the CLI, other than polling the Robovero (like with 'list' as you've said) I've looked here Robovero Firmware.  However, that's only a few commands.  Really what I've done for my develeopment was use the python examples Python Library, look at the generated log for certain programs (like IMU.py) and mimic those commands.  I've basically ported over a few of those scripts to C++ so I can run them in MATLAB/Simulink.  My plan was to post all my code once I've got it buttoned up, I've still got a few things to test on it yet.

Good luck,

Andrew

Re: Cannot connect to Overo COM using Serial Connection

Neil MacMunn
Hello,

When you plug in to the RoboVero USB mini-B port you should see
ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1. If the board is powered you will also see
ttyACM0. Of course, enumeration may vary. ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 are the
console connection to the Overo and the LPC1769 JTAG. As long as the
USB mini-B is plugged in, your dev machine controls these.

In short, you *should* be able to see the Overo boot sequence. The
fact that your reset button has no effect suggests that the Overo is
not properly seated or there is some other problem with that
connection. Have you tried reseating? Could you inspect your 70-pin
connectors for damage?

-
Neil

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM, acsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Ya I know that's frustrating.  I could be wrong about the console (maybe as
> you say there's a way to go through the Robovero) but so far I haven't found
> one ... mostly because I'm not looking.  Pretty much every bit of
> information I've aquired has been drawn from here or  http://robovero.org/
> Robovero.org .  As you've said, the documentation isn't really for the faint
> of heart, to really understand it you have to dig in and get your hands
> dirty by playing around with stuff.  For the CLI, other than polling the
> Robovero (like with 'list' as you've said) I've looked here
> http://robovero.org/index.php/tutorials/84 Robovero Firmware .  However,
> that's only a few commands.  Really what I've done for my develeopment was
> use the python examples  http://robovero.org/index.php/python-client-library
> Python Library , look at the generated log for certain programs (like
> IMU.py) and mimic those commands.  I've basically ported over a few of those
> scripts to C++ so I can run them in MATLAB/Simulink.  My plan was to post
> all my code once I've got it buttoned up, I've still got a few things to
> test on it yet.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andrew

Re: Battery Backup

Akram Hameed
I've been using these for a while now, and I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. Without looking at the spec sheet, I'd offer that the battery only keeps the RTC ticking without slew for about 12 hours. Is this reasonable? I don't know the characteristics of the twl4030-rtc without looking them up.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Alexander Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
The recommended battery is the ML-621S/ZTN, as mentioned on this
succinct wiki page:
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Coin_cell

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking at the Tobi board.  What is the recommended backup battery
> and what kind of life does it have to keep the Overo RTC running?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Alexander Thomas
Research Engineer

eSATURNUS NV
T +32 16 40 12 82
M +32 477 51 63 62
http://www.esaturnus.com

Re: Battery Backup

Akram Hameed
Bump.

Would be good to hear from Don or other gumstix people as to how long they expect the ML-621S/ZTN to keep the RTC operating for; less than a day's worth of operation is not very helpful...

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Akram Hameed <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using these for a while now, and I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. Without looking at the spec sheet, I'd offer that the battery only keeps the RTC ticking without slew for about 12 hours. Is this reasonable? I don't know the characteristics of the twl4030-rtc without looking them up.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Alexander Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
The recommended battery is the ML-621S/ZTN, as mentioned on this
succinct wiki page:
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Coin_cell

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking at the Tobi board.  What is the recommended backup battery
> and what kind of life does it have to keep the Overo RTC running?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Alexander Thomas
Research Engineer

eSATURNUS NV
T <a href="tel:%2B32%2016%2040%2012%2082" value="+3216401282" target="_blank">+32 16 40 12 82
M <a href="tel:%2B32%20477%2051%2063%2062" value="+32477516362" target="_blank">+32 477 51 63 62
http://www.esaturnus.com

Re: Battery Backup

Chris Cotton
In my experience, the battery backup should support the Gumstix RTC for much longer than you are reporting.  The ML-621S is a rechargeable lithium cell; is it possible that the kernel you are using is configured to disable the RTC battery charging function built into the Gumstix?   Additionally, the RTC battery charger circuit in the Gumstix has an adjustable charge rate; if this is set too low, you may not be charging the cell sufficiently even if the charger is enabled.  (The charge rate is adjustable between 25uA and 1mA.  A randomly selected datasheet for a ML621S advises a maximum charge rate of 0.6mA for this cell)

Looking in the relevant documentation, the ML-621S has a capacity of around 5mAh, and a nominal voltage of 3V.  The Gumstix RTC will run from a supply voltage as low as 1.8V, and draws as little as 7.2uW when the main Gumstix supply disconnected if configured correctly.  I would therefore expect the cell to last for somewhere between 2 and 3 months before the time and date were lost.

Using a similar (albeit higher capacity - 17mAh) ML1220 cell in my own design, I have seen the time and date retained for at least one month; I have not left the unit off long enough to test beyond this point.