Quantcast

Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

flunge
Hi, I am new to gumstix and yocto project,
Recently, I bitbake with the latest image from:
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo
and found there is no interfaces file in the folder /etc/network. so i cannot bring up wifi with the normal method.

Then i tried the method used by Duovero, which are the following commands:
$ systemctl enable udhcpc@wlan0
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
$ systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlan0
Failed to execute operation: File exists
And i got the above results.

Does anyone know how to bring up wifi with the new image?

Thanks!
Kun

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

adam

Hi the wiki needs to be updated. Can you take a look at https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo/wiki/New-in-Yocto-Project-1.7#network-management?

Systemd-networkd manages network from the 1.7 release.

Adam

On Mar 17, 2015 8:00 PM, "flunge [via Gumstix]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I am new to gumstix and yocto project,
Recently, I bitbake with the latest image from:
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo
and found there is no interfaces file in the folder /etc/network. so i cannot bring up wifi with the normal method.

Then i tried the method used by Duovero, which are the following commands:
$ systemctl enable udhcpc@wlan0
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
$ systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlan0
Failed to execute operation: File exists
And i got the above results.

Does anyone know how to bring up wifi with the new image?

Thanks!
Kun

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Cannot-bring-up-WiFi-with-Gumstix-Overo-tp4969765.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

flunge
Hi Adam,

Thanks! Now i can bring up the wifi and connect to internet via router with the following command:
ifconfig mlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -i mlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf&udhcpc -R -b -p /var/run/udhcpc.mlan0.pid -i mlan0

however, when i type the command:
systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlan0
I still get the message of "Failed to execute operation: File exists"

Thanks!
Kun

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

adam

How recent is your repo checkout? We have made some changes recently. All wifi interfaces are named to wlan0. No more mlan0.

You should only have to do `systemctl enable systemd-networkd`.

Take a look notes on the changes at http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Updated-to-meta-gumstix-amp-meta-gumstix-extras-td4969702.html

Adam

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Cannot-bring-up-WiFi-with-Gumstix-Overo-tp4969765p4969767.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

flunge
Hi Adam,

I just checkout the repo 3 days ago. I just tried the method in the new wiki release and the wifi was brought up. However, when i changed the network with a new ssid and psk, it cannot connect to the new network.

Anything i need to redo or restart any service if i changed the network?

Thanks!
Kun

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

adam
Hi Kun, what does your system say?

Any specific log?

Try `systemctl status systemd-networkd -l`

It should show you the status.

Adam

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Cannot-bring-up-WiFi-with-Gumstix-Overo-tp4969765p4969770.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

flunge
Hi Adam,

I am still not so clear about how to configure the wifi connection. what i am doing is as below (after I burned the image into the SD card):
1. I first modified to a specific network with the file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/wpa_supplicant as below:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
update_config=1
network={
ssid="xxxxxx"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="xxxxxxx"
}
2. I then bring the wlan0 down with # ifconfig wlan0 down since the system start with wifi default and then i type the # ifconfig wlan0 up;
3. Then I run the # wpa_supplicant -i mlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf&
udhcpc -R -b -p /var/run/udhcpc.mlan0.pid -i mlan0
 and it seems connected to the network but cannot access the internet.
4. Then i type command # systemctl enable systemd-networkd and get the result of Fail to execute: file exist.
5. I check the status # systemctl status systemd-networkd -l and i get the following result:

   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Sat 2000-01-01 00:18:22 UTC; 13min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-networkd.service(8)
  Process: 1813 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-networkd (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1813 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Unit systemd-networkd.service entered failed state.
Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Stopping Network Service...
Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Starting Network Service...
Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Service.
Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Unit systemd-networkd.service entered failed state.

6. When i change the ssid and psk to a new network, it seems that it cannot connect at all.
Is there any clear instructions on how to bring up with the wifi for Yocto 1.7?

Thanks!
Kun

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

adam
Kun, try running

1. edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf
2. run `systemctl enable systemd-networkd`.
3. system reboot
4. check internet

That should do.

Don't attempt anything with ifconfig.

Let me know.

Adam

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Cannot-bring-up-WiFi-with-Gumstix-Overo-tp4969765p4969772.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

Tom Mises
I am also unable to make it work. I am using the current console image
from gumstix.com. Even running wpa_supplicant manually is not working
for me. Below is some debug info:

Perhaps this is the problem?
wpa_supplicant[1848]: Libgcrypt warning: missing initialization -
please fix the application

root@overo:~# systemctl status systemd-networkd -l
* systemd-networkd.service - Network Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2015-02-25 11:31:44 UTC; 1min 0s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-networkd.service(8)
 Main PID: 1732 (systemd-network)
   CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-networkd.service
           `-1732 /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd

Feb 25 11:31:42 overo systemd[1]: Starting Network Service...
Feb 25 11:31:43 overo systemd-networkd[1732]: lo              : gained carrier
Feb 25 11:31:47 overo systemd-networkd[1732]: mlan0           : renamed to wlan0
Feb 25 11:31:47 overo systemd-networkd[1732]: wlan0           : gained carrier
Feb 25 11:31:47 overo systemd-networkd[1732]: wlan0           : lost carrier

root@overo:~# systemctl status wpa_supplicant@wlan0 -l
* [hidden email] - WPA supplicant daemon
(interface-specific version)
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant@.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2015-02-25 11:31:46 UTC; 1min 3s ago
 Main PID: 1848 (wpa_supplicant)
   CGroup: /system.slice/system-wpa_supplicant.slice/[hidden email]
           `-1848 /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf -iwlan0

Feb 25 11:31:46 overo wpa_supplicant[1848]: Libgcrypt warning: missing
initialization - please fix the application

root@overo:~# rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0
root@overo:~# wpa_supplicant -iwlan0
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED
^Cwlan0: CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING

Tom

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 8:49 AM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Stopping Network Service...
>> Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Starting Network Service...
>> Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service start request
>> repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
>> Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Service.
>> Jan 01 00:18:22 overo systemd[1]: Unit systemd-networkd.service entered
>> failed state.
>>
>> 6. When i change the ssid and psk to a new network, it seems that it
>> cannot connect at all.
>> Is there any clear instructions on how to bring up with the wifi for Yocto
>> 1.7?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Kun

>> NAML

> sponsored
> all

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

rmartimo
Hi,

I do have the same problem, no wifi connection and the same problem with wpa_supplicant and libgcrypt configuration...

I'm using Fido gumstix branch...

Does anybody know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

Andrew C. Smith
Did you compile your own Fido branch or did you download an image from somewhere?

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

rmartimo
Hi Andrew,

I compiled my own image from the yocto branch...
As I have and old overo board, with an omap3503, I tried two things:

1- compile Fido branch, but it doesn't load the wifi driver (Libertas driver), so I don't have wlan0 interface... Tried myself to load the driver but didn't work...

2- modify Fido branch to use 3.5.7 kernel and 2014 u-boot version, it loads the wifi driver so I have the wlan0 interface, it gets an Ipv6 address after boot, but not Ipv4, it fails with the error messages posted previously...

What can I do?
Thank you very much.

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

I would definitely start with one of our pre-compiled images (available from website, under the software tab).  The DEV branch is using Yocto-Krogoth (Linux 4.5) and the Master branch is using Yocto-Fido (Linux 3.18).  Give either one a try and see how it works.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

rgw1001
Overo Ironstorm-Y (TI wifi/BT module)
Yocto-Fido, pre-compiled from Gumstix website (uname -r: 3.18.18-custom)

I followed the instruction above (editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf ) and get :
logread | grep "wpa"
Apr 28 13:32:50 overo daemon.info kernel: [    7.233917] systemd[1]: Created slice system-wpa_supplicant.slice.
Apr 28 13:32:50 overo daemon.info kernel: [    7.240539] systemd[1]: Starting system-wpa_supplicant.slice.
Apr 28 13:32:51 overo user.warn wpa_supplicant: Libgcrypt warning: missing initialization - please fix the application

I was hoping to see my SSID when I scan with my PC wifi dongle software, but with warnings like this it's unlikely to happen.
How do I fix the application?

Richard

Re: Cannot bring up WiFi with Gumstix Overo

rgw1001
However, using the IronSTORM-P (Marvell module) and editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf to this:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant ctrl_interface_group=0
update_config=1
# Connect to any open network
network={
    key_mgmt=NONE
}
# Connect to a WPA2 protected network
network={
      ssid="Thermo1"
      key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
(Where ssid & psk are taken from our already set-up office wifi)
It works! I can ping google.com
If I swap back to the IronStorm-Y with the same SD card I get a multitude of:
[ 1242.044738] wlan0: authentication with 14:91:82:2a:6a:f4 timed out
Why would that be?

Richard