Quantcast

Can't see USB device's from Overo

12

Can't see USB device's from Overo

nikkadim
Could you please help to find the root of problem. I have a gumstix tobi board and tried to load the 2.6.32 (fself compiled) and 3.0.0 (from http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/current/) - and have got the same results - when I connect my USB device to USB Host port nothing happening, also I tried connection via USB Hub (powered).
Is it the  kernel config problem?

Thank you.

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Greg Kogut
The Gumstix USB debugging steps are:

1) Do you fully understand Tobi USB and have a viable setup?   (A hub will only work on the OTG port, not the "standard" A-connector port).
2) Is your device powering up upon connection?
3) Did you check the output of lsusb (or the taxonomy in /sys  or /proc) upon device connection?  This verifies low-level USB connection
4) Did you check /var/log/messages ('dmesg') upon connection.  This can, in many cases, verify the correct kernel module for your device is responding correctly.

If you've verified 1) and 2), post the output of 3) or 4).

Cheers,
Greg

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

nikkadim
1) Hm, why I can't connect the USB Hub to USB Host of Overo board?
2) No, I have tried with USB Camera (it has no ext. power)
3) Yes, I did.

the result is:
root@overo:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@overo:~#

root@overo:~# uname -a

Linux overo 3.0.0 #1 Fri Jan 6 11:22:17 PST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

4)  I do not get any messages at /var/log/messages and at a terminal prompt when device are plugged.

--
nikk

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Greg Kogut <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Gumstix USB debugging steps are:

1) Do you fully understand Tobi USB and have a viable setup?   (A hub will only work on the OTG port, not the "standard" A-connector port).
2) Is your device powering up upon connection?
3) Did you check the output of lsusb (or the taxonomy in /sys  or /proc) upon device connection?  This verifies low-level USB connection
4) Did you check /var/log/messages ('dmesg') upon connection.  This can, in many cases, verify the correct kernel module for your device is responding correctly.

If you've verified 1) and 2), post the output of 3) or 4).

Cheers,
Greg

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Dan Nelson

I’ve had the same problem on my Tobi board with an FE COM.  I’ve tried different arrangements of kernel, rootfs, nand, micro SD with the same result.  Tried re-seating the COM on the expansion board.  But still have the problem.  Nothing is enumerated when I plug in a device, and I’ve tried several different devices.  The symptoms I’m having seem identical to yours.  I suspect my Tobi or COM has a hardware fault.

Dan

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

nikkadim
Did you tried to connect you USB Device via OTG port? The same result? I'm going test it tomorrow.
BTW I have tried with different 3 Tobi cards and have got the same results, so I don't think that it the Tobi h/w problem.

--
nikk

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve had the same problem on my Tobi board with an FE COM.  I’ve tried different arrangements of kernel, rootfs, nand, micro SD with the same result.  Tried re-seating the COM on the expansion board.  But still have the problem.  Nothing is enumerated when I plug in a device, and I’ve tried several different devices.  The symptoms I’m having seem identical to yours.  I suspect my Tobi or COM has a hardware fault.

Dan

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Dan Nelson

Haven’t tried the otg yet.  Will let you know the results.

Can anyone here explain why the main host port can’t be connected to a hub?

Dan

Could you please help to find the root of problem. I have a gumstix
https://www.gumstix.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=230 tobi board
and tried to load the 2.6.32 (fself compiled) and 3.0.0 (from
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/current/) - and have
got the same results - when I connect my USB device to USB Host port nothing
happening, also I tried connection via USB Hub (powered).
Is it the  kernel config problem?

Thank you.

They say to use the OTG for powered hubs and USB devices needing more power than the stix can provide. I remember reading back awhile ago it has to with circuitry as well. I know the OTG only provides 100ma

http://gumstix.org/getting-started.html more info there about the ports and I am sure the spec sheet has the listing for the host usb. Also don't forget OTG is mini-b. There is a bunch in the bbs archives talking about the differences for OTG and host. HTH

Only Seeing Part Of Display

Dan Nelson

My brand new Chestnut43 and LCD arrived yesterday.  Plugged in a Fire Storm COM that has the original nand firmware.

The display  comes up, but it is oversized and only one corner of it fits on the LCD.  Looks like a configuration problem somewhere?

Dan

Re: Only Seeing Part Of Display

On 03/19/2012 06:45 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

My brand new Chestnut43 and LCD arrived yesterday.  Plugged in a Fire Storm COM that has the original nand firmware.

The display  comes up, but it is oversized and only one corner of it fits on the LCD.  Looks like a configuration problem somewhere?

Dan

check the boot args are setup to be using the touchscreen especially if you have been using a monitor and setup it up for that. If not check the env values in uboot and you might be able to see if there is a mix up there. if your default is dvi then change it to lcd43.

Have you updated the nand image you are trying to boot from? Or use a sdcard and put a desktop image on it. Sounds like over sized would be something is causing it to default to dvi or something other than the chesnut screen.

Re: Only Seeing Part Of Display

Dan Nelson

Thanks J.  No haven’t checked boot args.  I guess you mean in u-boot?  Sounds like it could well be DVI set as the default, it looks like a configuration problem.

I’ve used an SD card, but it has a headless Debian rootfs.  The login prompt comes up, looks okay, I think.  Haven’t tried any other images, will investigate further.

Dan

On 03/19/2012 06:45 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

My brand new Chestnut43 and LCD arrived yesterday.  Plugged in a Fire Storm COM that has the original nand firmware.

The display  comes up, but it is oversized and only one corner of it fits on the LCD.  Looks like a configuration problem somewhere?

Dan

This SF email is sponsosred by:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure

[...]

Yes I meant in uboot. connect with a serial cable and it should give 5 seconds to get in to uboot. Make sure you read more current posts as uboot variables have changed for overo's and verdex and overo ones do not mix. I will be reflashing my nand tonight or tomorrow, with a prebuilt angstrom image. Been awhile since I have tried them. Been mostly on ArchLinux for awhile.

Anyways look for uboot variables. Scott Ellis has a github that has lots of boot script examples as well as other things.

Touchscreen

Dan Nelson

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to use the touchscreen with Gumstix.

Thanks

Dan

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Philipp Lutz
Hey fellows in misery,

I'm pretty sure it's the tobi boards. After a long time I also wanted to use the USB host again and almost went crazy as it didn't work out as it used to some time ago. I tried different kernels (factory 2.6.34, 2.6.35-1006-omap-linaro etc.) and finally different SD cards and boards. Then I found out that it's not the COM boards, but the Tobi boards. With my good old Tobi (R2783) it worked as expected, my new Tobi boards (R3388) didn't work all together.
For my tests I used a Water STROM COM board and a self compiled rt-patched 3.0.22 kernel, based on steve's repo. After booting I inserted a simple USB mass storage pendrive.
Here are some logs (including bootloader and kernel output):

- Log with USB host working (old Tobi board: R2783)
http://pastebin.com/rZH1hZCA

- Log with USB nonworking host (new Tobi board: R3388)
http://pastebin.com/0Qv1L6Fw

Does somebody see something strange happening here? Any known issues with the USB host with recent Tobi revisions?

Cheers
Phil

Could you please help to find the root of problem. I have a gumstix
https://www.gumstix.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=230 tobi board
and tried to load the 2.6.32 (fself compiled) and 3.0.0 (from
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/current/) - and have
got the same results - when I connect my USB device to USB Host port nothing
happening, also I tried connection via USB Hub (powered).
Is it the  kernel config problem?

Thank you.

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR)
German Aerospace Center

Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics | Autonomy and Teleoperation
Muenchner Str. 20 | 82234 Weßling | Germany

Philipp Lutz M.Eng.
Telephone +49 (0)8153 28 3237 | Telefax +49 (0)8153 28 1134
[hidden email]
www.DLR.de

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Alexander Thomas-8
The host port _can_ be connected to a hub. But it must be a high-speed
(USB 2.0) hub. The host port only supports high-speed devices. You can
connect any high-speed device directly but it is a good idea to use a
powered hub for devices that draw a lot of current.

Alexander

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Haven’t tried the otg yet.  Will let you know the results.
>

> Can anyone here explain why the main host port can’t be connected to a hub?
>

> Dan

Alexander Thomas
Research Engineer

eSATURNUS NV
T +32 16 40 12 82
M +32 477 51 63 62
http://www.esaturnus.com

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

William Pretty Security Inc

Because it is a high speed ONLY port L

I have had a USB-2 device connected to it. Like a USB-2 hub. The gotcha is that you can only hook USB-2 devices to the hub …

Them’s the breaks

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Qiru Zhou
You should be able to connect a USB2 hub support USB2 high speed
(480 Mbps) to Tobi USB host port (I have a Summit expansion card.
I guess the USB host port should be similar/the same). Then you
can connect any USB1/2 device to it (it's up to the hub support.).
Another catch is you'd better use a self powered USB2 hub (i.e.,
hub with extern PS) since the port can't provide enough power most
of the time. The hub powered from on board USB port may not work or
at least unstable from my experiment.

The host port itself can only accept high speed (ehci), low power
devices such as USB2 thumb drives. I am not sure if this is the
driver software or actual hardware limit.

The OTG port is configured as host port for the Overo software
I used (kernel 2.6.x, Angstrom). It supports both full (like USB
audio devices, KB, etc) and high speed USB devices (USB storage
devices). I am wondering if I need to patch kernel to get it work
for OTG (as device).

 From my experiment so far.

-- qzhou

More USB

Dan Nelson
I'll be using a TUSB8040 USB hub chip on my expansion board.  It
supports all flavours of USB.  From what I understand, I can connect it
to the Gumstix host USB port and the hub chip will take care of the rest
for low speed and full speed devices.  Is this correct?  Or should I be
connecting it to the OTG port?

Put my Firestorm COM into my new Chestnut board last night and the USB
host doesn't seem to be working.  Worked okay in the Tobi board.
Haven't tried it again in the Tobi board, don't like using up the 70 pin
connectors' lives.

Am I just having back luck or are there reliability issues with the USB?

Dan

Re: Touchscreen

Neil MacMunn
Hi Dan,

Start here:
 http://gumstix.org/create-a-bootable-microsd-card.html

With this image:
 http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2012-01-22-1750/omap3-palmtop-image-overo.tar.bz2

-
Neil

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone point me in the right direction on how to use the touchscreen
> with Gumstix.
>

> Thanks
>

> Dan

Re: Can't see USB device's from Overo

Neil MacMunn
Hi Philipp,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Philipp Lutz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey fellows in misery,
>
> I'm pretty sure it's the tobi boards. After a long time I also wanted to use
> the USB host again and almost went crazy as it didn't work out as it used to
> some time ago. I tried different kernels (factory 2.6.34,
> 2.6.35-1006-omap-linaro etc.) and finally different SD cards and boards.
> Then I found out that it's not the COM boards, but the Tobi boards. With my
> good old Tobi (R2783) it worked as expected, my new Tobi boards (R3388)
> didn't work all together.
> For my tests I used a Water STROM COM board and a self compiled rt-patched
> 3.0.22 kernel, based on steve's repo. After booting I inserted a simple USB
> mass storage pendrive.
> Here are some logs (including bootloader and kernel output):
>
> - Log with USB host working (old Tobi board: R2783)
> http://pastebin.com/rZH1hZCA
>
> - Log with USB nonworking host (new Tobi board: R3388)
> http://pastebin.com/0Qv1L6Fw
>
> Does somebody see something strange happening here? Any known issues with
> the USB host with recent Tobi revisions?

Is R34 populated on your Tobi R3388? It is located on the top side of
the board behind the OTG section.

-
Neil

Re: More USB

Neil MacMunn
Dan,

Have you seen this known issue?

 http://gumstix.org/hardware-design/product-changes-known-issues-a-eol/67-known-issues/203-pki-2012-1-chestnut43-r3078-issues-r1-not-populated.html

-
Neil

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Dan Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll be using a TUSB8040 USB hub chip on my expansion board.  It
> supports all flavours of USB.  From what I understand, I can connect it
> to the Gumstix host USB port and the hub chip will take care of the rest
> for low speed and full speed devices.  Is this correct?  Or should I be
> connecting it to the OTG port?
>
> Put my Firestorm COM into my new Chestnut board last night and the USB
> host doesn't seem to be working.  Worked okay in the Tobi board.
> Haven't tried it again in the Tobi board, don't like using up the 70 pin
> connectors' lives.
>
> Am I just having back luck or are there reliability issues with the USB?
>
> Dan

12