Quantcast

Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

Eric Diethorn
Hello Gumstix Community,

I'd like to use the tools iwconfig (or iw) to control transmit power level (txpower) and/or the power management mode (power), but these functions don't seem to be supported by recent drivers and firmware, although they apparently did work in past versions as discussed in older posts. Does anyone understand this issue and know of patches/solutions? I am developing on the Gumstix Overo IronSTORM, using linux 3.2 and the standard libertas_sdio driver and firmware for the wi2wi module.

Thanks!

Eric

---
Eric Diethorn
mh acoustics LLC

Re: Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

wilmac

Eric:

We are having similar issues on the FireSTORM with similar requirements to control txpower.  I suggest you contact David Brassfield, a salesman at Wi2Wi  (http://www.wi2wi.com/wireless.php) who will direct you to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) and a Source License Agreement (SLA) at which point gives you access to their Extranet webpage and software and documents on their chipsets.  It will also open a window for you to access their Field Application Engineer who is more than willing to help you with this problem.

Good Luck

wrm

PS:

I don’t know what development tools you are using but they recommend buying the BeagleBoard with their Wi2Wi chipset if you are going to make any serious mods to their driver.  Also they recommend you dump the Libertas driver and firmware and replace their software that works.

Re: Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

Eric Diethorn
wrm,

Thanks for you help, really appreciate it. We have already contacted wi2wi based on your suggestion.

Eric

Re: Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

Eric Diethorn
wrm,

We did get the binary and source from wi2wi. The binaries fail to load (using insmod) on our linux 3.2 Overo, and I could not get the source to build for the same reasons (at least make complains of missing members in net_device structures). Were you able to build the source?

Eric

Re: Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

wilmac
Eric:

The binaries were probably not targeted to the OMAP3730.  The source needs to be compiled with Linux (libraries and include files) on the BeagleBoard OMAP3730 development system.  I have spoken with the FAE from Wi2Wi and he is certain that we will be able to do a host/target build of the WiFi chip driver to the Gumstix FireSTORM.  There is one catch though.  While you can buy a BeagleBoard OMAP3730 development system from several electronic supply houses, it seems that there is some special Linux "Black Magic" that Wi2Wi supplies when you buy the BeagleBoard customized by them.  We currently are waiting for ours to be built.

Good luck:
wrm

We did get the binary and source from wi2wi. The binaries fail to load (using insmod) on our linux 3.2 Overo, and I could not get the source to build for the same reasons (at least make complains of missing members in net_device structures). Were you able to build the source?

Eric

LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free Trial Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add services Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

Re: Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

Eric Diethorn
wrm,

wi2wi gave us firmware (/lib/firmware/mrvl/*.bin) and updated source for building a new sdio.ko and sd8686.ko on linux 3.2. The modules build successfully  (Overo with OMAP 3503 but we also use Overo with 3703), but sd8686.ko causes a kernel choke ("unable to handle null point dereference"). I don't know whether they are cross-developing or developing on Beagle or Gumstix at this point. Maybe the code is tweaked for some Beagleboard HW uniqueness as you say. We are using Gumstix only.

Thanks for your comments.

Eric

Re: Can't control WiFi "power" and "txpower" using iwconfig

wilmac
Eric:

I spoke with the FAE from Wi2Wi yesterday.  It seems that they were not clear on exactly what they were providing.  They provide a W2CBW003-DEV development board which is just a WiFi chip on a circuit board with several I/O interfaces (USB, UART, and PC cardslot), NO OMAP3530 ON BOARD (~$400). They recommend that the development board be plugged into a laptop card slot or a BEAGLEBOARD (I think it's model "D") OMAP3530 development board (~$150).  He advised (as I said earlier) there may be some software they need to mod|add.  He did point out that the Wi2Wi driver was designed for Linux 2.6.X and while it is suppose to work with 3.2.X there may be some extra black magic that needs to be done to get it to work.  He (FAE) advised the W2CBW003-DEV if you are going to do any lower level driver mods that could require any deep debugging.  I'm going to hold off on the W2CBW003-DEV and just buy the BEAGLEBOARD for now. If I can get the unmodified source code to compile and work, I think we can get by with making only minor mods to the source code.