Quantcast

Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

jamidon
I bought a DuoVero and Parlor board but the combination will not boot. The Parlor board's USB console lights up when it is attached to my laptop but when power is applied to the board with the COM attached nothing happens. This happens whether the DuoVero has a microSD card inserted or not. Are there suppose to be indicator lights on the Parlor similar to what is on the Tobi? -- jda
-- jda

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

ashcharles
Hi jda,
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM, jamidon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> . The Parlor board's USB console lights up when it is attached to my laptop
> but when power is applied to the board with the COM attached nothing
> happens. This happens whether the DuoVero has a microSD card inserted or
> not. Are there suppose to be indicator lights on the Parlor similar to what
> is on the Tobi?
Can you confirm that your microSD card is well formatted?  There is no
NAND on the DuoVero so there is no pre-flashed image.  On the first
rev. of the DuoVero, there is no power LED on-board.
--Ash

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

jamidon
When I mount the microSD on my laptop, it has two partitions: rootfs and
boot, as expected.  The card was purchased from Gumstix as part of the
Crystal/Parlor combination.  For kicks, I also tried to create another
bootable card using the images at
http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/ and
still no joy.

Ideas?
-- jda

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM, jamidon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I mount the microSD on my laptop, it has two partitions: rootfs and
> boot, as expected.  The card was purchased from Gumstix as part of the
> Crystal/Parlor combination.  For kicks, I also tried to create another
Gumstix doesn't yet sell a pre-formatted microSD card for DuoVero
boards---just Overo I'm afraid.
> bootable card using the images at
> http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/ and
> still no joy.
Do you get any activity with this card?  This image should work.
--Ash

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

beaker
Try powering it up from a higher-current power source.

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

ezex
hi,  i have the same setup, and I having the same problem
tried with a couple of different images,
but there is not booting up, console, or HDMI output,
I see only one LED LIGTH near the microUSB console ON,
Im using a wall power supply of 5V 2AMP, (when tested the output it shows about 7.8V .

any suggestions?    I wonder if should be there another LED LIGTH when is powered up, besides the LED LIGTH near the usb console.

Rob-Farrell
I'll join the crowd here.  Exact same setup, tried a couple micro SD card images.  Tested voltages on the Parlor, everything looks fine.  I get no console messages or LED's on the duovero what so ever.  Completely dead since I received it.  After two weeks of requesting an RMA which was finally approved yesterday mine is going back today.  Hard to imagine so many identical failures.  I wonder what kind of tests were run on these prior to shipping?

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

ezex
Hi,  i have some NEWS.

1) I used Sakoman images and script to create the images for my Duovero Gumstix
http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/
and the script  mksdcard.sh
using this commnand line:
 sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0 duovero xfce current

Whit this, I have good Image, and NOW I CAN GET   console output on the duovero
(this board doesn't have NAND, so it needs a valid microSD and image boot, to output console)

2) After this,   ALL MY BOOTS HANGS  HERE
ALSA device list:
  #0: duovero
  #1: OMAPHDMI
Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...

3) SOLVED, AFTER TRYING MANY IMAGES (was not the problem)  I read on this link :
http://www.mentby.com/Group/gumstix-users/duovero-images.html

tha some duo vero, have a FAULTY MICROSD CONNECTORS.  and pressing on the middle , ALL BOOTED UP, while pressing the simcard tray connector.
After a little bit of experimenting: if it stops at the "Waiting for
root device "-message and you push just at the right spot (center of the
label with the serial number), the filesystem is found and the system
continues to boot. Perhaps the kernel uses another method to access the
data on the card with stricter timing requirements than the first boot
stages (just guessing).

also in this link I found this info
"
Hi,

If you are having issues getting Linux to load the root filesystem on
DuoVero (symptoms like a kernel hang at 'Waiting for rootfs..." or
having to push down on the microSD card slot fit the bill), could you
please try this patch: http://www.sakoman.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux.git;a=commitdi[..]

Please post back if you test this out---I'm eager for feedback to
resolve this issue.  It appears to work on R3800 builds (didn't have
the problem in the first place) and R3919 builds.

Explanation:
The card detect behaviour of our microSD card slot is inverted from
the behaviour on other platforms; this discrepancy was masked on
DuoVero versions prior to R3919.  This patch inverts the sense of the
card detect on duoVero in order to correctly detect the presence of a
microSD card.

--Ash

Ash Charles
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:54:09 -0800

Following up my post about 7/10 of my DuoVero not being able to boot.  The
Charles Ash patch in this thread resolved the problem.  It's not a hardware
issue.    Thanks to Charles for supplying the patch (apologize for taking so
long to test), and Gumstix for following up with me quickly offline.

Greg
"

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

Steve Sakoman
I don't think the hardware is bad.  Make sure your kernel has this patch:

http://git.sakoman.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=bbf4f0f05d4f7b954b258e2e5c3a2faccb34cc99

I haven't built duovero images in many months, so I don't really
recall whether the images on my site have this patch or not.

Steve

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM, ezex <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,  i have some NEWS.
>
> 1) I used Sakoman images and script to create the images for my Duovero
> Gumstix
> http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/
> and the script  mksdcard.sh
> using this commnand line:
>  sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0 duovero xfce current
>
> Whit this, I have good Image, and NOW I CAN GET   console output on the
> duovero
> (this board doesn't have NAND, so it needs a valid microSD and image boot,
> to output console)
>
> 2) After this,   ALL MY BOOTS HANGS  HERE
> ALSA device list:
>   #0: duovero
>   #1: OMAPHDMI
> Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
>

> 3) SOLVED, AFTER TRYING MANY IMAGES (was not the problem)  I read on this
> link :
> http://www.mentby.com/Group/gumstix-users/duovero-images.html
>
> tha some duo vero, have a FAULTY MICROSD CONNECTORS.  and pressing on the
> middle , ALL BOOTED UP, while pressing the simcard tray connector.
> After a little bit of experimenting: if it stops at the "Waiting for
> root device "-message and you push just at the right spot (center of the
> label with the serial number), the filesystem is found and the system
> continues to boot. Perhaps the kernel uses another method to access the
> data on the card with stricter timing requirements than the first boot
> stages (just guessing).
>
> I HAVE TO SEND IT BACK, is defective.

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

Steve Sakoman
On the other hand, if Gumstix has changed the hardware so CD is not
longer inverted then you *don't* want the referenced patch!

Steve

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think the hardware is bad.  Make sure your kernel has this patch:
>
> http://git.sakoman.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=bbf4f0f05d4f7b954b258e2e5c3a2faccb34cc99
>
> I haven't built duovero images in many months, so I don't really
> recall whether the images on my site have this patch or not.
>
> Steve
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM, ezex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,  i have some NEWS.
>>
>> 1) I used Sakoman images and script to create the images for my Duovero
>> Gumstix
>> http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/
>> and the script  mksdcard.sh
>> using this commnand line:
>>  sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0 duovero xfce current
>>
>> Whit this, I have good Image, and NOW I CAN GET   console output on the
>> duovero
>> (this board doesn't have NAND, so it needs a valid microSD and image boot,
>> to output console)
>>
>> 2) After this,   ALL MY BOOTS HANGS  HERE
>> ALSA device list:
>>   #0: duovero
>>   #1: OMAPHDMI
>> Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
>>

>> 3) SOLVED, AFTER TRYING MANY IMAGES (was not the problem)  I read on this
>> link :
>> http://www.mentby.com/Group/gumstix-users/duovero-images.html
>>
>> tha some duo vero, have a FAULTY MICROSD CONNECTORS.  and pressing on the
>> middle , ALL BOOTED UP, while pressing the simcard tray connector.
>> After a little bit of experimenting: if it stops at the "Waiting for
>> root device "-message and you push just at the right spot (center of the
>> label with the serial number), the filesystem is found and the system
>> continues to boot. Perhaps the kernel uses another method to access the
>> data on the card with stricter timing requirements than the first boot
>> stages (just guessing).
>>
>> I HAVE TO SEND IT BACK, is defective.

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

ezex
Hi Steve, thank you for the input,
you are rigth, I already reading for this patch,  so I will let you know
as soon I have it working .

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think the hardware is bad.  Make sure your kernel has this patch:

http://git.sakoman.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=bbf4f0f05d4f7b954b258e2e5c3a2faccb34cc99

I haven't built duovero images in many months, so I don't really
recall whether the images on my site have this patch or not.

Steve

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM, ezex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,  i have some NEWS.
>
> 1) I used Sakoman images and script to create the images for my Duovero
> Gumstix
> http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/
> and the script  mksdcard.sh
> using this commnand line:
>  sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0 duovero xfce current
>
> Whit this, I have good Image, and NOW I CAN GET   console output on the
> duovero
> (this board doesn't have NAND, so it needs a valid microSD and image boot,
> to output console)
>
> 2) After this,   ALL MY BOOTS HANGS  HERE
> ALSA device list:
>   #0: duovero
>   #1: OMAPHDMI
> Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
>

> 3) SOLVED, AFTER TRYING MANY IMAGES (was not the problem)  I read on this
> link :
> http://www.mentby.com/Group/gumstix-users/duovero-images.html
>
> tha some duo vero, have a FAULTY MICROSD CONNECTORS.  and pressing on the
> middle , ALL BOOTED UP, while pressing the simcard tray connector.
> After a little bit of experimenting: if it stops at the "Waiting for
> root device "-message and you push just at the right spot (center of the
> label with the serial number), the filesystem is found and the system
> continues to boot. Perhaps the kernel uses another method to access the
> data on the card with stricter timing requirements than the first boot
> stages (just guessing).
>
> I HAVE TO SEND IT BACK, is defective.

Ing. Ezequiel Goldberg
Systems Engineer

End Piracy,  Not Liberty

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

ezex
Hi Steve,
I will try this patch, and let you know the results,
thank you for the help,

cheers
ezequiel

PS:  this will be the Brain, of Ubuntu/Ros hexapod Robot.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On the other hand, if Gumstix has changed the hardware so CD is not
longer inverted then you *don't* want the referenced patch!

Steve

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think the hardware is bad.  Make sure your kernel has this patch:
>
> http://git.sakoman.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=bbf4f0f05d4f7b954b258e2e5c3a2faccb34cc99
>
> I haven't built duovero images in many months, so I don't really
> recall whether the images on my site have this patch or not.
>
> Steve
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM, ezex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,  i have some NEWS.
>>
>> 1) I used Sakoman images and script to create the images for my Duovero
>> Gumstix
>> http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto-1.3/images/omap4-multi/current/
>> and the script  mksdcard.sh
>> using this commnand line:
>>  sudo ./mksdcard.sh /dev/mmcblk0 duovero xfce current
>>
>> Whit this, I have good Image, and NOW I CAN GET   console output on the
>> duovero
>> (this board doesn't have NAND, so it needs a valid microSD and image boot,
>> to output console)
>>
>> 2) After this,   ALL MY BOOTS HANGS  HERE
>> ALSA device list:
>>   #0: duovero
>>   #1: OMAPHDMI
>> Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
>>

>> 3) SOLVED, AFTER TRYING MANY IMAGES (was not the problem)  I read on this
>> link :
>> http://www.mentby.com/Group/gumstix-users/duovero-images.html
>>
>> tha some duo vero, have a FAULTY MICROSD CONNECTORS.  and pressing on the
>> middle , ALL BOOTED UP, while pressing the simcard tray connector.
>> After a little bit of experimenting: if it stops at the "Waiting for
>> root device "-message and you push just at the right spot (center of the
>> label with the serial number), the filesystem is found and the system
>> continues to boot. Perhaps the kernel uses another method to access the
>> data on the card with stricter timing requirements than the first boot
>> stages (just guessing).
>>
>> I HAVE TO SEND IT BACK, is defective.
>>

>> --

Ing. Ezequiel Goldberg
Systems Engineer

End Piracy,  Not Liberty

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the other hand, if Gumstix has changed the hardware so CD is not
> longer inverted then you *don't* want the referenced patch!

This patch is still required.

--Ash

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

Ash Charles
Hi,

For those just looking for a some binaries to verify the functionality
of their board please give the following a whirl:

MLO: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/MLO
u-boot.img: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/u-boot.img
uImage: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/uImage
rootfs.tar.bz2: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/rootfs.tar.bz2

This kernel has the card slot detect patch applied.

--Ash

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On the other hand, if Gumstix has changed the hardware so CD is not
>> longer inverted then you *don't* want the referenced patch!
>
> This patch is still required.
>
> --Ash

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

ezex
Hi Hash!
is all good now,
I was able to boot, and install also other systems than the console with no problem, the images with xfce.

thank you very much for the fast response,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Ash Charles [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

For those just looking for a some binaries to verify the functionality
of their board please give the following a whirl:

MLO: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/MLO
u-boot.img: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/u-boot.img
uImage: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/uImage
rootfs.tar.bz2: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/yocto/duovero/rootfs.tar.bz2

This kernel has the card slot detect patch applied.

--Ash

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Steve Sakoman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On the other hand, if Gumstix has changed the hardware so CD is not
>> longer inverted then you *don't* want the referenced patch!
>
> This patch is still required.
>
> --Ash

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Brand-new-Parlor-DuoVero-is-dead-tp4966900p4967460.html
To unsubscribe from Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead, click here.

Ing. Ezequiel Goldberg
Systems Engineer

End Piracy,  Not Liberty

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

carveone
Looks like I have the same problem. I have a DuoVero on a Parlor board and I'm using the Sakoman images (tried the images posted by ashcharles first actually). I followed the sfdisk layout to the letter and confirmed it before copying the MLO and boot files to the boot partition. When I apply power (5V exactly) I get nothing on console. There's one LED on at the serial console. There are no lights on the Duovero. The heatsink gets slightly warm (could be my imagination). Careful probing of the edge connector contacts show 3.3V and 1.8V present and SYSEN at 1.8V.

Are there supposed to be lights on the Gumstix itself? There's a sticker on it with "W/O 29155 13-29"...etc

Thanks,

Conor.

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

carveone
It's ok. I decided that using an ARM board which had Linux on it as
well as an SD card reader would be a good idea. It isn't. If, after
running the commands, fdisk -l does not show the redone CHS geometry
(255 heads, 63 sectors, N cylinders) then it's wrong and will never
work. I used a Trinity rescue CD and a Hama card reader (genesys logic
chipset) on a normal PC and bingo. Works up until it tried to mount
the SD card and then halts. But I know what that is - the inverted SD
card presence logic (which Gumstix should document instead of blindly
linking to Sakoman's images - this isn't helpful).

Conor.

> Looks like I have the same problem. I have a DuoVero on a Parlor board and
> I'm using the Sakoman images (tried the images posted by ashcharles first
> actually). I followed the sfdisk layout to the letter and confirmed it
> before copying the MLO and boot files to the boot partition. When I apply
> power (5V exactly) I get nothing on console. There's one LED on at the
> serial console. There are no lights on the Duovero. The heatsink gets
> slightly warm (could be my imagination). Careful probing of the edge
> connector contacts show 3.3V and 1.8V present and SYSEN at 1.8V.
>
> Are there supposed to be lights on the Gumstix itself? There's a sticker on
> it with "W/O 29155 13-29"...etc
>
> Thanks,
>
> Conor.

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

sagar
Hey Ash,

Does this patch also work for a 3.8 kernel? I applied it, but it seems to make no difference.. the boot process is still stuck at waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...

I added a few printk()'s around the patch and also at the beginning of the function, but I don't see those messages either. Has something changed in this area in kernel 3.8?

Thanks in advance,
Sagar

Re: Brand new Parlor/DuoVero is dead

Ash Charles
Hi Sagar,

I've not actually tried the patch with the 3.8 kernel though I don't
expect the card detect inversion to have changed.  I'd suspect a
different problem occuring related to forward porting to 3.8 rather
than just the card detect circuit.  FWIW, I've successfully booted a
DuoVero on a 3.10 kernel using a device tree.
Definitely email the list if you uncover anything as this is sure to
be generally useful.
--Ash