Quantcast

Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

Thots
I'm using an Overo Fire with Linux kernel 2.6.39pm, and I'm attempting to get Bluetooth fulling working.  I can use the command line to control Bluetooth without any problems.  For example, I can use hciconfig and hcitool.  When I use "hcitool scan", I can see other Bluetooth devices.  Also, other Bluetooth devices can see the gumstix after I run these commands "hciconfig hci0 class 0x4a0100" and "hciconfig hci0 piscan".  However, I haven't yet been able to get the GUI to work.

I open the GUI by "Applications -> Settings -> Bluetooth".  Once the application opens, I always see this error:

"No Bluetooth adapters present"
"Your computer does not have any Bluetooth adapters plugged in"

This error doesn't make sense to me because I am able to use Bluetooth.  After messing around with settings and using Google for a while, I still haven't gotten it to work.  Are there any suggestions as to why the GUI doesn't recognize the Bluetooth on the Overo Fire?

When I remove my SD card and boot from the default image in the Overo Fire's nand, The Bluetooth GUI works just fine.  There must be some way to get it to work.

I have bluez4, bluez4-dev, and gnome-bluetooth installed.  I think also have bluez-utils installed. (Whenever I use "opkg install bluez-utils", it returns "Package bluez4 (4.89-r8.0.6) installed in root is up to date".  I'm surprised it mentions "bluez4" instead of "bluez-utils")

Thanks for looking at this,
Thots

Re: Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

Thots
Has anyone been able to get the bluetooth GUI working on the 3.0pm kernel?  Back in September, I posted about not being able to use the bluetooth GUI when using the 2.6.39pm kernel.  I'm now using a newer version of Sakoman's kernel, but I'm running into the same problem.  There must be a way to get past this because the bluetooth GUI works great when I boot from the Overo Fire's NAND memory.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thots

Thots wrote

Thanks for looking at this,
Thots

Re: Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

Thots
I assumed the problem was with my kernel, but it looks like the problem was caused by my file system.  Since Bluetooth was working on the Fire COM's NAND memory, I tried using the oldest developer file system I could find on the the Gumstix web site.

http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2011-02-03-0000/

I kept my kernel the same, and just reverted back the file system.  This allowed the Bluetooth GUI to start working.  I have not yet narrowed down what part of the file system was causing the problem.
Note: I had to make one change to the "/etc/default/bluetooth" file.  I modified 'HCIATTACH_TTY' from "ttyS1" to ttyO1".

Using the Bluetooth GUI, I was able to transfer a file from the Gumstix to my phone.  However, I was not able to receive any files.  When I click on the "Receive Files" button in the Bluetooth, I get an error that states "Cannot start Personal File Sharing Preferences.  Please verify that the Personal File Sharing program is correctly installed."

Does anyone know how to receive files via Bluetooth?

-Thots

Bluetooth GUI Error

bhamadicharef
Hi

Anyone managed to send/receive files from the Overo to
other devices (computer / iPAD+iPhone / Nokia+Samsung
mobile phones) ?

I cannot find how to install the "Personal File Sharing".

Regards

Brahim

Re: Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

Edward Diaz
Thots,

Did you ever find out what the issue is?  I am also seeing the same issue.

Thanks,
Edward

Re: Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

bhamadicharef
Nope could not find any solution to this ... but BlueTooth works to transfer
images to my Android phone for example (iPhone/iPAD seems more difficult
I dont know why)

Next on my list is to use the BT of Wiimote ...

Brahim

Re: Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

Thots
Hi Edward,

I was not able to get past that issue.  I tried installing the software that would be needed for "Personal File Sharing", but I ran into too many errors when installing dependencies.

I was eventually able to receive files using Obexpushd, but it was a huge pain.  The newer versions of bluez deprecate functionality that Obexpushd needs to run.  However, going to a version of bluez that is too old didn't work either.  I forget exactly how I got it working.  I may have had to port over bluez-compat.  I believe that is how Ubuntu is able to use newer versions of bluez without deprecating too much functionality.

Currently, I am using pand for all my Bluetooth connections.  This creates a network interface called bnep0 on the UAP.  I can then assign bnep0 an IP address and send files over the interface.  It can all be done from the command line and was far easier to set up.

I'm glad more people are using Bluetooth because I might have some more Bluetooth questions soon.  I was posting in a thread that figured out how to set the Bluetooth baud rate to 921600.  I haven't checked the gumstix nabble forum for a bit, and I'm curious if anyone has found a way to increase the speed past 921600.  Also, I saw some reliability issues at the 921600 speed.  I'm curious if anyone else had a problem.

Brahim

Re: Bluetooth GUI Error with Fire

Edward Diaz

I was able to resolve the GUI error.  Please look at my posts.

Kill the bluetoothd daemon and restart it with the -d option. Your GUI should start working.

I have switched to the Sakoman image. It works fine there.

Thanks,
Edward