Beginner with Gumstix - how to connect to Netstix w/o DHCP?

Beginner with Gumstix - how to connect to Netstix w/o DHCP?

R S-6
Hello!

I was happy today to recieve a Netstix 400 CF.
I hope to use this unique and interesting product as an entry to learn the Linux OS.

I was quite surprised to learn that the Netstix is shipped with DHCP enabled as a default, rather than a hard-coded IP address.
This leaves me with no way to access the Netstix to change this.
It would seem to a neophyte that a more logical choice would have been to ship with an IP address assigned and allow the user to change to enable DHCP if desired. It would also seem that Gumstix should consider posting a notice of this on the website so that first-time purchasers would be aware.

If I had realized this would be the case I would have purchased a serial expansion board to enable me to use a serial connection initially...

Please pardon my ignorance among so many educated Gumstix users, but am I missing something here? Is there a way to enable Ethernet connection to my Netstix?

Thanks for reading.
-Rick

More photos, more messages, more storage¬óget 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.

Re: Beginner with Gumstix - how to connect to Netstix w/o DHCP?

timcrawford
Do you have a router?  If so enable the DHCP server.
What OS are you using?

From: "R S" <[hidden email]>