Quantcast

Another libertas question [No Such Device]

Another libertas question [No Such Device]

Jeffrey Karrels
Hello All,

I feel bad for asking this as there are so many threads in the history already related to this topic. I received my Gallop43 and Overo FE earlier this week and for the life of me I cannot seem to get wifi to come up. I haven't messed around with bluetooth, but I do see bluetooth messages in the logs. I also see some mailing list messages about possible changes in the SDIO interface on the new modules??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

COM: Overo Fire Extended
Expansion Board: Gallop 43
Pre-built image: omap3-console-image-overo.tar.bz2 (16 August 2011) [As well as many of the other existing in nand, stable, development pre-builts]

1) Make a bootable SD card and boot with the u-boot.bin, MLO, uImage, and rootfs mentioned above.
2) Boot and connect to the board via serial connection (USB)
3) Diagnostics;
    a) ifconfig output -> (only lo exists)
    b)
root@overo:~# modprobe -l | grep libertas
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas_sdio.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko

    c)
root@overo:~# modinfo libertas_sdio
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.39/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas_sdio.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Pierre Ossman
firmware:       sd8688.bin
firmware:       sd8688_helper.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8688.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8688_helper.bin
firmware:       sd8686.bin
firmware:       sd8686_helper.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8686_v8.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8686_v8_helper.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8686_v9.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8686_v9_helper.bin
firmware:       sd8385.bin
firmware:       sd8385_helper.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8385.bin
firmware:       libertas/sd8385_helper.bin
srcversion:     20840F7E35EBC70B9B156D5
alias:          sdio:c*v02DFd9104*
alias:          sdio:c*v02DFd9103*
depends:        libertas,firmware_class
vermagic:       2.6.39 mod_unload modversions ARMv7
parm:           helper_name:charp
parm:           fw_name:charp

    d)
root@overo:~# opkg list-installed | grep networkmanager
root@overo:~#

    e) vi /etc/network/interfaces (add wlan0)
    f)
root@overo:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
#
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wireless_mode managed
        wireless_essid any

    g) reboot
    h)

root@overo:~# dmesg | grep wlan0
root@overo:~# dmesg | grep libertas
root@overo:~# grep libertas /var/log/messages
root@overo:~# grep wlan0 /var/log/messages

root@overo:~# modprobe -l | grep libertas
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas_sdio.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko

root@overo:~# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

root@overo:~# iwconfig wlan0 essid any
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

root@overo:~# ifup wlan0
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
wlan0     No such device

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the [hidden email]
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.
Failed to bring up wlan0.

Re: Another libertas question [No Such Device]

RobSmith
Hello Jeffrey,

The one thing you haven't shown is whether the libertas modules are actually loaded.

Do a 'lsmod' or 'cat /proc/modules' to see which modules are currently loaded. If the libertas drivers are not loaded, you can then modprobe them.

Cheers
Rob
Jeffrey Karrels wrote

omap3-console-image-overo.tar.bz2<http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2011-08-16-1605/omap3-console-image-overo.tar.bz2>(16

If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server@isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.
Failed to bring up wlan0.

Re: Another libertas question [No Such Device]

Jeffrey Karrels
Thanks for the response Rob. My previous email was getting long so I guess I cut short a couple of things.

root@overo:~# lsmod | grep libertas
libertas_sdio          14823  0
libertas               92094  1 libertas_sdio
firmware_class          5909  2 libertas_sdio,libertas
cfg80211              148549  1 libertas
lib80211                5163  1 libertas

root@overo:~# grep LIBERTAS config
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM is not set
CONFIG_LIBERTAS=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_USB=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_SDIO=m
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_SPI is not set
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_MESH is not set

root@overo:~# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio16/value
1

-----------------------------

Message: 2

Re: Another libertas question [No Such Device]

Geoffrey Atkinson
This issue is a recurring issue that seems to pop up a lot, and is getting quite annoying.

I had the same problem as you to the letter (except I am using the FE/Tobi)... I finally got the wifi working after following the advice from dozens of emails on the mailing list... although I quite frankly could not tell you what did the trick.  Then, I rolled a new SD card, can't get it working on that card.  Plus I can't get it working on the flash installation.

lsmod, cat this and that, firmware versions, all look identical.

Sorry to not be helpful, just venting a bit.  This wifi issue (Angstrom only, on Ubuntu it seems fine) really needs to be addressed once and for all.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Jeffrey Karrels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the response Rob. My previous email was getting long so I guess I cut short a couple of things.

root@overo:~# lsmod | grep libertas
libertas_sdio          14823  0
libertas               92094  1 libertas_sdio
firmware_class          5909  2 libertas_sdio,libertas
cfg80211              148549  1 libertas
lib80211                5163  1 libertas

root@overo:~# grep LIBERTAS config
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM is not set
CONFIG_LIBERTAS=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_USB=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_SDIO=m
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_SPI is not set
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_MESH is not set

root@overo:~# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio16/value
1

-----------------------------

Message: 2

Re: Another libertas question [No Such Device]

ruun
Hi, i know this is probably a very old issue for enabling wifi connection on gumstix. But i'm currently having this problem and didn't find a good solution on the web about this issue.

i'm currently administrating an Overo Fire system with a Tobi expansion board and try to enabling the wifi support for our robotic system. It seems libertas kernel modules are successfully installed and in use based on the outputs:

debian-armel-hasi:/# modprobe -l | grep libertas
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas_sdio.ko

debian-armel-hasi:/# modprobe -l | grep lib80211
kernel/net/wireless/lib80211.ko

debian-armel-hasi:/# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
pwm_led                 5621  0
pwm                     5601  0
v4l2_driver           174324  0
videodev               66405  1 v4l2_driver
bridgedriver          165775  0
snd_soc_twl4030        34752  0
libertas_sdio          15159  0
snd_soc_core           86920  1 snd_soc_twl4030
libertas               94033  1 libertas_sdio
snd_pcm                74324  2 snd_soc_twl4030,snd_soc_core
cfg80211              148259  1 libertas
snd_timer              19102  1 snd_pcm
snd                    55048  3 snd_soc_core,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               6884  1 snd
lib80211                5404  1 libertas
snd_page_alloc          4871  1 snd_pcm

But i have no chance to activate the wlan0 interface via ifconfig / iwconfig.

debian-armel-hasi:~# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.
sit0      no wireless extensions.

debian-armel-hasi:~# ifconfig wlan0 up
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Das Value for gpio16 is also set to 1. (should be active)

Based on the materials on web it seems this issue could be also relating to the kernel version 2.6.34, because many people have problems with that version.

Does anyone already resolve this problem and which kernel version is preferable? We have installed currently 2.6.32.

Thx for any help. If you need more informations about the system or its configuration, don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

Re: Another libertas question [No Such Device]

Louis Morda
What are your  etc/network/interfaces  setting for wlan0?