Quantcast

Another failure to boot

nickw1881
Hello all, I have successfully built several versions of kernels using the OE environment from Angstrom.  http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom.  As far as I know, they work great and include exactly the modules I want, and none of the modules I don't, but neither the Overo FE-storm nor the Overo Water will boot on a Tobi :(...  As far as I can tell, this is a common problem, but I don't know how to begin troubleshooting it- and that is my question. How do I troubleshoot failure-to-boot problems? Is there a guide on that?

It looks like a lot of people have a problem where their console spits out on the wrong ttyS* port, I set mine to ttyS2.
Overo # echo $bootargs
console=ttyS2,115200n8

This is the result:

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Jan 28 2011 - 20:54:56)
OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1
Board revision: 1
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2010.12 (Jan 31 2011 - 08:33:29)

OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Board revision: 1
Tranceiver detected on mmc2
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
Net:   smc911x-0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

4537976 bytes read
Booting from mmc ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Re: Another failure to boot

Ash Charles
For kernel version 2.6.35+, the default console is 'ttyO2' not 'ttyS2' i.e.
setenv console ttyO2,115200n8

Your system may be booting just fine but the bootlog is getting piped
to the wrong (non-existant) serial port.
--Ash

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Nick Wernicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all, I have successfully built several versions of kernels using the
> OE environment from Angstrom.
> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom.  As far as I know,
> they work great and include exactly the modules I want, and none of the
> modules I don't, but neither the Overo FE-storm nor the Overo Water will
> boot on a Tobi :(...  As far as I can tell, this is a common problem, but I
> don't know how to begin troubleshooting it- and that is my question. How do
> I troubleshoot failure-to-boot problems? Is there a guide on that?
>
> It looks like a lot of people have a problem where their console spits out
> on the wrong ttyS* port, I set mine to ttyS2.
> Overo # echo $bootargs
> console=ttyS2,115200n8
>
> This is the result:
>
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Jan 28 2011 - 20:54:56)
> OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1
> Board revision: 1
> Reading boot sector
>

> U-Boot 2010.12 (Jan 31 2011 - 08:33:29)
>
> OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
> Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
> I2C:   ready
> DRAM:  512 MiB
> NAND:  512 MiB
> MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Board revision: 1
> Tranceiver detected on mmc2
> No EEPROM on expansion board
> Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> reading boot.scr
>
> ** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
> reading uImage
>
> 4537976 bytes read
> Booting from mmc ...
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Re: Another failure to boot

nickw1881
Thank you very much! I totally failed initially by typing in ttyZERO2, so I figured that was wrong and was very confused.  The correct steps are:

1.  setenv console ttyO2,115200n8 (where the O is a capital o as in output, not zero)
2.  saveenv
3.  win

Nick

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:
For kernel version 2.6.35+, the default console is 'ttyO2' not 'ttyS2' i.e.
setenv console ttyO2,115200n8

Your system may be booting just fine but the bootlog is getting piped
to the wrong (non-existant) serial port.
--Ash

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Nick Wernicke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all, I have successfully built several versions of kernels using the
> OE environment from Angstrom.
> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom.  As far as I know,
> they work great and include exactly the modules I want, and none of the
> modules I don't, but neither the Overo FE-storm nor the Overo Water will
> boot on a Tobi :(...  As far as I can tell, this is a common problem, but I
> don't know how to begin troubleshooting it- and that is my question. How do
> I troubleshoot failure-to-boot problems? Is there a guide on that?
>
> It looks like a lot of people have a problem where their console spits out
> on the wrong ttyS* port, I set mine to ttyS2.
> Overo # echo $bootargs
> console=ttyS2,115200n8
>
> This is the result:
>
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Jan 28 2011 - 20:54:56)
> OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1
> Board revision: 1
> Reading boot sector
>

> U-Boot 2010.12 (Jan 31 2011 - 08:33:29)
>
> OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
> Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
> I2C:   ready
> DRAM:  512 MiB
> NAND:  512 MiB
> MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Board revision: 1
> Tranceiver detected on mmc2
> No EEPROM on expansion board
> Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> reading boot.scr
>
> ** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
> reading uImage
>
> 4537976 bytes read
> Booting from mmc ...
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Re: Another failure to boot

Akram Hameed

Howdy Nick,

Glad to see you’ve solved your problem.

Are you building things using gumstix instructions? Curiosity compels me to ask.

I’d build newer versions of x-loader and u-boot if I were you. Lots of things fixed since the versions you are running.  Not sure about kernel – that looks relatively ancient, surely you are not running something that old...?

> [...]

> Err:   serial
> Board revision: 1
> Tranceiver detected on mmc2
> No EEPROM on expansion board
> Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> reading boot.scr
>
> ** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
> reading uImage
>
> 4537976 bytes read
> Booting from mmc ...
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Whoa,

Disregard previous comment about kernel version. I haven’t slept in over 24 hours, I should read more carefully.

> [...]

> Err:   serial
> Board revision: 1
> Tranceiver detected on mmc2
> No EEPROM on expansion board
> Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> reading boot.scr
>
> ** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
> reading uImage
>
> 4537976 bytes read
> Booting from mmc ...
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

I'm not building with the Gumstix instructions.  I have been working on a project with the Beaglebone for a few months, and the project also needs a really small wifi router.  I figured I'd try and have one OE directory for both, so I'm using the Angstrom directions at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom.  I got the gumstix repository from git://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix.git

It seems to work ok, the only REALLY frustrating thing that happened was when bitbake (on my machine, Ubuntu 12.04) wouldn't parse the Overo wifi driver recipe because it had spaces instead of tabs.  That was REALLY frustrating.

My u-boot and MLO are old, but they seem to work.  I tried to bitbake the latest recipes, but I think I didn't use the right one, or I didn't have something configured correctly, because the u-boot image didn't work at all.  I think you are right that the newer versions will work better, I just haven't sat down to figure out the trick to it.  The kernel is 3.2.19.  That's like, 3-4 months old? Is that bad? I understand we are almost up to version 3.5 now.  I'm not familiar with what a good pace for new kernel adoption is.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Akram Hameed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Err:   serial
> Board revision: 1
> Tranceiver detected on mmc2
> No EEPROM on expansion board
> Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> reading boot.scr
>
> ** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
> reading uImage
>
> 4537976 bytes read
> Booting from mmc ...
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Without going off and having a look, I guess meta-gumstix is possibly a clone of the mainline gumstix repo? That's here, btw: git://gitorious.org/gumstix-oe/mainline.git

With regards to kernels: I'm using 3.0-pm personally.  Chasing the latest and greatest is all well and good, but it usually takes a while for things to coalesce properly on linux-omap. 3.2 is pretty widely endorsed by power players around here, so I imagine you're safe to be trying that out.

The primary reason for keeping up to date on u-boot and MLO is that they are usually tweaked to add new hardware support (for example, support for recognising new hardware revisions and applying correct default clocks etc).

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Nick Wernicke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Err:   serial
> Board revision: 1
> Tranceiver detected on mmc2
> No EEPROM on expansion board
> Die ID #414a00229ff80000016858020901e022
> Net:   smc911x-0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> reading boot.scr
>
> ** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
> reading uImage
>
> 4537976 bytes read
> Booting from mmc ...
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
>    Image Name:   Angstrom/3.2.19/overo
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    4537912 Bytes = 4.3 MiB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Philip Balister
On 07/25/2012 12:56 AM, Akram Hameed wrote:
> Without going off and having a look, I guess meta-gumstix is possibly a
> clone of the mainline gumstix repo? That's here, btw: git://
> gitorious.org/gumstix-oe/mainline.git
>
> With regards to kernels: I'm using 3.0-pm personally.  Chasing the latest
> and greatest is all well and good, but it usually takes a while for things
> to coalesce properly on linux-omap. 3.2 is pretty widely endorsed by power
> players around here, so I imagine you're safe to be trying that out.

What kernel version is gumstix engineering recommending these days?

Philip

> The primary reason for keeping up to date on u-boot and MLO is that they
> are usually tweaked to add new hardware support (for example, support for
> recognising new hardware revisions and applying correct default clocks
> etc).
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Nick Wernicke <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'm not building with the Gumstix instructions.  I have been working on a
>> project with the Beaglebone for a few months, and the project also needs a
>> really small wifi router.  I figured I'd try and have one OE directory for
>> both, so I'm using the Angstrom directions at
>> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom.  I got the
>> gumstix repository from git://
>> gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix.git
>>
>> It seems to work ok, the only REALLY frustrating thing that happened was
>> when bitbake (on my machine, Ubuntu 12.04) wouldn't parse the Overo wifi
>> driver recipe because it had spaces instead of tabs.  That was REALLY
>> frustrating.
>>
>> My u-boot and MLO are old, but they seem to work.  I tried to bitbake the
>> latest recipes, but I think I didn't use the right one, or I didn't have
>> something configured correctly, because the u-boot image didn't work at
>> all.  I think you are right that the newer versions will work better, I
>> just haven't sat down to figure out the trick to it.  The kernel is 3.2.19.
>>   That's like, 3-4 months old? Is that bad? I understand we are almost up to
>> version 3.5 now.  I'm not familiar with what a good pace for new kernel
>> adoption is.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Akram Hameed <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy Nick,
>>>

>>> Glad to see you’ve solved your problem.
>>>

>>> Are you building things using gumstix instructions? Curiosity compels me
>>> to ask.
>>>

>>> I’d build newer versions of x-loader and u-boot if I were you. Lots of
>>> things fixed since the versions you are running.  Not sure about kernel –
>>> that looks relatively ancient, surely you are not running something that
>>> old...?

Good morning Philip,
This is Adam from Gumstix. Several engineers here including myself have been putting together new images based on kernel 3.2 at the moment. Ash and I are hoping to get a new image released as early as next week. Hope that helps :)

Adam Lee