Quantcast

Alternative OTG USB power

Lark, Nathaniel (SELEX GALILEO, UK)
We are attempting to remotely power a USB device by splicing into the gnd and 5V power lines and providing an alternative supply from that provided by the Overo OTG USB port.

This issue surrounding how the USB device presents itself and why the device will still be rejected even though it is externally powered is understood by us.  What we cant do is find a solution to bypassing the power check all together.  The archives suggest some approaches and code changes to the kernel back in 2010, however a search of our kernel source code (3.0.0.) suggest this may not be relevant any longer.

Chris cotton provided this solution in an earlier discussion, May 10, 2010, however we could find no such code to make the change.

Any help would be most appreciated  :)

--snip--------------------------
..then altered the file: /tmp/work/overo-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/linux-omap3-2.6.32-r51/git/drivers/usb/host/ehci.h

by changing the following line from:
        /* REVISIT charge pump on TWL4030 can supply up to
         * 100 mA ... but this value is board-specific, like
         * "mode", and should be passed to usb_musb_init().
         */
        .power = 50, /* up to 100 mA */

to:
        /* REVISIT charge pump on TWL4030 can supply up to
         * 100 mA ... but this value is board-specific, like
         * "mode", and should be passed to usb_musb_init().
         */
        .power = 250, /* up to 500 mA */

Rebuilding the kernel, I can confirm that the gumstix now accepts connections from high - current devices, hopefully including devices such as your camera :)
--snip--------------------
SELEX Galileo Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

Alexander Thomas-8
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Lark, Nathaniel (SELEX GALILEO, UK)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are attempting to remotely power a USB device by splicing into the gnd and 5V power lines and providing an alternative supply from that provided by the Overo OTG USB port.
>
> This issue surrounding how the USB device presents itself and why the device will still be rejected even though it is externally powered is understood by us.  What we cant do is find a solution to bypassing the power check all together.  The archives suggest some approaches and code changes to the kernel back in 2010, however a search of our kernel source code (3.0.0.) suggest this may not be relevant any longer.
>
> Chris cotton provided this solution in an earlier discussion, May 10, 2010, however we could find no such code to make the change.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated  :)

I had this exact same problem and found a solution for more recent
kernels. After plugging in the device, run the following command:
echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue
This disables the power limit enforcing. You may still get a warning
in the system log, but the device should work.
This has to be repeated every time the Overo is rebooted or the device
is plugged in.

Of course you should never run this command when a device that can
draw more than 100mA is connected to the OTG port with a non-spliced
cable.

--
Alexander Thomas
Research Engineer

eSATURNUS NV
T +32 16 40 12 82
M +32 477 51 63 62
http://www.esaturnus.com

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

Mark Zieg
Hi Alexander,

> echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue
> This disables the power limit enforcing.

Very cool!  We ended up reflashing the USB declarations so our "actual" 400mA device declared itself to be a safe and harmless 80mA device (since we were providing external power).  Your solution is much more elegant :-)

-Mark

On Feb 28, 2012, at 4:51 AM, Alexander Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Lark, Nathaniel (SELEX GALILEO, UK)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are attempting to remotely power a USB device by splicing into the gnd and 5V power lines and providing an alternative supply from that provided by the Overo OTG USB port.
>>
>> This issue surrounding how the USB device presents itself and why the device will still be rejected even though it is externally powered is understood by us.  What we cant do is find a solution to bypassing the power check all together.  The archives suggest some approaches and code changes to the kernel back in 2010, however a search of our kernel source code (3.0.0.) suggest this may not be relevant any longer.
>>
>> Chris cotton provided this solution in an earlier discussion, May 10, 2010, however we could find no such code to make the change.
>>
>> Any help would be most appreciated  :)
>

> I had this exact same problem and found a solution for more recent
> kernels. After plugging in the device, run the following command:
> echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue
> This disables the power limit enforcing. You may still get a warning
> in the system log, but the device should work.
> This has to be repeated every time the Overo is rebooted or the device
> is plugged in.
>
> Of course you should never run this command when a device that can
> draw more than 100mA is connected to the OTG port with a non-spliced
> cable.
>
> --
> Alexander Thomas
> Research Engineer
>
> eSATURNUS NV
> T +32 16 40 12 82
> M +32 477 51 63 62
> http://www.esaturnus.com

copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

Lark, Nathaniel (SELEX GALILEO, UK)

Alexander, thanks very much for this reply.  You solved the problem \o/

Alexander Thomas-8 wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Lark, Nathaniel (SELEX GALILEO, UK)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are attempting to remotely power a USB device by splicing into the gnd
>> and 5V power lines and providing an alternative supply from that provided
>> by the Overo OTG USB port.
>>
>> This issue surrounding how the USB device presents itself and why the
>> device will still be rejected even though it is externally powered is
>> understood by us.  What we cant do is find a solution to bypassing the
>> power check all together.  The archives suggest some approaches and code
>> changes to the kernel back in 2010, however a search of our kernel source
>> code (3.0.0.) suggest this may not be relevant any longer.
>>
>> Chris cotton provided this solution in an earlier discussion, May 10,
>> 2010, however we could find no such code to make the change.
>>
>> Any help would be most appreciated  :)
>

> I had this exact same problem and found a solution for more recent
> kernels. After plugging in the device, run the following command:
> echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue
> This disables the power limit enforcing. You may still get a warning
> in the system log, but the device should work.
> This has to be repeated every time the Overo is rebooted or the device
> is plugged in.
>
> Of course you should never run this command when a device that can
> draw more than 100mA is connected to the OTG port with a non-spliced
> cable.
>
> --
> Alexander Thomas
> Research Engineer
>
> eSATURNUS NV
> T +32 16 40 12 82
> M +32 477 51 63 62
> http://www.esaturnus.com

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

mark_sup
Hello Alexander,

I'm trying to get a webcam to work the same way you did it. I spliced a USB cable and connected the power lines to a 5 V source. However, when I connect the camera there is no handshaking taking place anymore. The data lines are intact and the power lines going to the gumstix are dead ends. Could that be the problem? Do you have any idea why this is and what I could do with the dead ends to fake a connection if that's what's missing for the handshaking?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Dipl.-Ing. Mark Stamer
Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg
Institut für Mikrosystemtechnik (E-7)
Eißendorfer Str. 42
21073 Hamburg
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)40 42878 2402
Fax: +49 (0)40 42878 2396
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.tu-harburg.de/mst

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Greg Kogut
Mark,

You might try toggling
OVERO_GPIO_USBH_CPEN    168

or

OVERO_GPIO_USBH_NRESET 183
In userspace, after boot. In a similar splice situation, toggling 168 solved a similar problem for me.
I think at boot there's some timing problem related to the power.

Greg

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

Alexander Thomas-8
Hi Mark,

It has been a while since I did this and it was on an old kernel. We're no longer using this setup so I cannot tell how it behaves on more recent kernels that may have more strict power management. I believe the “exceeds” warning is normal however. If it doesn't work with Greg's suggestion, you could try an older kernel. If everything fails, you may have to resort to a powered USB hub...

Alexander

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Mark Stamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel.: <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%2940%2042878%202402" value="+4940428782402" target="_blank">+49 (0)40 42878 2402
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%2940%2042878%202396" value="+4940428782396" target="_blank">+49 (0)40 42878 2396

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

T <a href="tel:%2B32%2016%2040%2012%2082" value="+3216401282" target="_blank">+32 16 40 12 82
M <a href="tel:%2B32%20477%2051%2063%2062" value="+32477516362" target="_blank">+32 477 51 63 62
http://www.esaturnus.com

Alexander Thomas
Research Engineer

eSATURNUS
T. +32 16 40 12 82
www.esaturnus.com

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

mark_sup
Hey,

thanks for you quick reply. Pin 183 doesn't exist and pin 168 was already set to 1 but even toggling it off and on again didn't work. I'm using Kernel 2.6.34. Do you consider this an "old" Kernel?

Unfortunately a powered USB Hub is not an option for my application even though I have one where the camera works.

On Jan 29, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Greg Kogut <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mark,

You might try toggling
OVERO_GPIO_USBH_CPEN    168

or

OVERO_GPIO_USBH_NRESET 183
In userspace, after boot. In a similar splice situation, toggling 168 solved a similar problem for me.
I think at boot there's some timing problem related to the power.

Greg

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

Brent
I don't have any solutions, but I came across this and have some details fresh in my mind I figured I'd share.

GPIO 183 exists, it is the data line for I2C bus 2.  Not sure what it's actually used for, but it doesn't seem to come out of the 70 pin connections (off the COM).

GPIO 168 runs through a buffer and enables the current limiting IC on the USB host port.  Set it low and Vbus on the host port will lose power.  Set the pin high again, and current limited 5V should return.

- Brent

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

ashcharles
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Brent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> GPIO 183 exists, it is the data line for I2C bus 2.  Not sure what it's
> actually used for, but it doesn't seem to come out of the 70 pin connections
> (off the COM).
GPIO183 is the reset line for the USB Host PHY on the COM.  This is
the 'RESETB' line in data sheet for the USB3320.
--Ash

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

Alexander Thomas-8
Hi Mark,

I have dug into my old notes and it seems I was using 2.6.35. Some other points on the checklist:

* Make sure that the plug that connects to the USB OTG port has its 'ID' pin connected to ground to let the port know that it should work as a host.
* Make sure that the cable is plugged into the USB OTG port before booting.
* The `echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue` command must be run when the device has already been plugged in, not before.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Mark Stamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

thanks for you quick reply. Pin 183 doesn't exist and pin 168 was already set to 1 but even toggling it off and on again didn't work. I'm using Kernel 2.6.34. Do you consider this an "old" Kernel?

Unfortunately a powered USB Hub is not an option for my application even though I have one where the camera works.

On Jan 29, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Greg Kogut <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mark,

You might try toggling
OVERO_GPIO_USBH_CPEN    168

or

OVERO_GPIO_USBH_NRESET 183
In userspace, after boot. In a similar splice situation, toggling 168 solved a similar problem for me.
I think at boot there's some timing problem related to the power.

Greg

Re: Alternative OTG USB power

mark_sup
Hello everyone,

I finally got the uEye USB camera working on the OTG! The suggestions to disable the power check where perfectly fine. However, the uEye daemon "ueyeusbdrc" had to be restart afterwards in order for the camera to work.

FYI here the two simple steps in detail:
1. echo > 1 /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue
2. /etc/init.d/ueyeusbdrc restart

Thanks for your help!