AeroCore How do?

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

Also, you were going to come up with some updated documentation on the AeroCore. Did you ever do so?

I have two questions. If I want to power and use just the Duvero and AeroCore from my laptop, can I do it with just two USB cables? Is that enough power?

Also, the AeroCore has PWM which would give it the ability to control drives. Where do I find the documentation on how to do that?

Glen
--
Glen Wernersbach View my profile on LinkedInView Profile
Innovator and CEO

From: "Andrew C. Smith [via Gumstix]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, August 22, 2016 at 9:32 AM
To: Glen Wernersbach <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Errors on startup?

Hi Glen,

It's been a while, any movement forward on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Bluetooth-Errors-on-startup-tp4970768p4971045.html
To unsubscribe from Bluetooth Errors on startup?, click here.

Re: AeroCore How do?

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

No new documentation yet.

If you just want to power it, you only need 1 USB cable.  Plug into the micro-USB port that's near the battery connector.  That will power the M4 and the DuoVero.  However, it does not power the servo header or the USB Host port.  Those need a battery connected.  If you want to access the DuoVero console, then you'll need a second micro-USB.

The PWMs are driven by the M4.  By default we use PX4 software on the M4.  Depending on what you want to do with the PWMs, you may want to use different software.  What's your intended plan for the PWMs?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: AeroCore How do?

glen@jetsoftdev.com
I would like to signal drive motors via the pwm.

Glen Wernersbach View my profile on LinkedInView Profile
Innovator and CEO
MotionLABs LLC.
Making the Next Thing Happen Now!
629 Old State Route 74 – Suite 210
<a dir="ltr" href="x-apple-data-detectors://3/0" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="address" x-apple-data-detectors-result="3/0">Cincinnati, Oh 45244
<a dir="ltr" href="tel:513-240-9929" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="3/1" style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">513-240-9929

On Aug 23, 2016, at 8:18 AM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Glen,

No new documentation yet.

If you just want to power it, you only need 1 USB cable.  Plug into the
micro-USB port that's near the battery connector.  That will power the M4
and the DuoVero.  However, it does not power the servo header or the USB
Host port.  Those need a battery connected.  If you want to access the
DuoVero console, then you'll need a second micro-USB.

The PWMs are driven by the M4.  By default we use PX4 software on the M4.
Depending on what you want to do with the PWMs, you may want to use
different software.  What's your intended plan for the PWMs?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: AeroCore How do?

Andrew C. Smith
Are we talking servo motors (5V, pwm signal controls angle), brushless motors via a electronic speed control with PWM input or motors that you want to directly feed the PWM signal into the motor?

Re: AeroCore How do?

glen@jetsoftdev.com
These are brushless DC servo motor that I will need to drive. We can build
drive board if needed
--
Glen Wernersbach View Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/GlenWernersbach>
Innovator and CEO
MotionLABs LLC.
"Making the Next Thing Happen Now!"

513-240-9929
[hidden email]

On 8/23/16, 10:12 AM, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Are we talking servo motors (5V, pwm signal controls angle), brushless
>motors
>via a electronic speed control with PWM input or motors that you want to
>directly feed the PWM signal into the motor?

Re: AeroCore How do?

Andrew C. Smith
Sorry ... late getting back to this.

To control brushless motors you're going to need some sort of speed/position controller.  A PWM signal on it's own isn't enough.  Brushless motor speed controllers are used all over in RC hardware, they're cheap and easy to use.  Those can interface directly with the AeroCore.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: AeroCore How do?

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Actually, starting with  brush based motors.

My understanding below I have writing drive hardware and software before. Please verify my thinking below?

1) A brushless motor would require three PWMs while a brush motor can use just one. Both really need some type of feedback control.

A brushless motor need positional feedback for commutation. It also helps to have volts/amps feedback for PWM timing open/close frequency control.

A brushless motor could just have velocity feedback but the more feedback the better.

2) The AeroCore has 8 PWMs circuits. There is a questions of how you get that much feedback to it to control that many motors directly in real time?

Some electronic switching frequency circuitry will need to be created to serve a a gate between the motor and the battery.

I appreciate your thoughts on the above.

--

On 9/26/16, 9:08 AM, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry ... late getting back to this.

To control brushless motors you're going to need some sort of speed/position
controller.  A PWM signal on it's own isn't enough.  Brushless motor speed
controllers are used all over in RC hardware, they're cheap and easy to use.
Those can interface directly with the AeroCore.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: AeroCore How do?

Andrew C. Smith
I would seriously reconsider doing low-level control of a motor using an AeroCore, it just wasn't intended for that.  Biggest reason, those PWM signals are not capable of pushing much current, no where near enough to drive a motor.  You'd have to build a separate board with some MOSFETs (or similar) to actually drive the motor.  If you have to do that ... why not just buy an off the shelf component, would likely be significantly cheaper.

You'd also need several A to D (A/D) lines to do the control.  At least 3 per motor for a brushless and I think 2 for a brushed motor.  AeroCore only has 3 A/D available total.

You can check out this website
https://pixhawk.org/modules/pixhawk_esc
The Pixhawk ESC goes into depth what's necessary for a good brushless ESC.

Andrew

Re: AeroCore How do?

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Thanks Andrew. I was just trying to figure out what is and not possible to
do as far control with the Aero Core. Only 3 A/D?

 I already know I would need more circuitry. I am going to need that
anyways for other things. It a question of how far we go.

We have used 5v PWMs before to drive 320v motors before.  Lot of circuitry
in between to get that to work. Off the shelf plug in is easier. Trust me.
--

On 9/26/16, 9:44 AM, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I would seriously reconsider doing low-level control of a motor using an
>AeroCore, it just wasn't intended for that.  Biggest reason, those PWM
>signals are not capable of pushing much current, no where near enough to
>drive a motor.  You'd have to build a separate board with some MOSFETs (or
>similar) to actually drive the motor.  If you have to do that ... why not
>just buy an off the shelf component, would likely be significantly
>cheaper.
>
>You'd also need several A to D (A/D) lines to do the control.  At least 3
>per motor for a brushless and I think 2 for a brushed motor.  AeroCore
>only
>has 3 A/D available total.
>
>You can check out this website
>https://pixhawk.org/modules/pixhawk_esc
><https://pixhawk.org/modules/pixhawk_esc>
>The Pixhawk ESC goes into depth what's necessary for a good brushless ESC.
>

>Andrew

Re: AeroCore How do?

Andrew C. Smith
Yes, only 3 A/D.  We are pretty space constrained and I'd say most users don't use any A/D so 3 is quite a few.  If you're looking for an AeroCore with more, your best bet is to design your own on Geppetto.

Andrew