Quantcast

Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

Ashley Bryant

Could you advise on the following questions please…

1. I want to receive 6 RC transmitter PWM input signals ( / channels) and convert these signals into floating point variables (+/- 1.0) that will then become inputs into a control program running on an Overo AirSTORM COM. Can this be achieved using a RoboVero extension board and if so, could you outline how this would be achieved please?

2. At the end of processing on the Overo AirSTORM COM, I want to be able to recreate different PWM output signals for analog or digital servos. The number of output signals / channels could range between 6 and 12. Can this be achieved using a single RoboVero extension board, and again if so, could you outline how this would be achieved please?

3. Does anyone have any experience generating control system C code (C or C++) on a Windows XP or Windows 7 platform and then porting this C code to run on an Overo AirSTORM COM? Any advice as to how easy it would be to implement such a software development process would be gratefully received.

4. Can someone advise as to whether the RoboVero USB port can be used to write up to 34Mb of data in real time at a frequency of up to 15Hz to a flash drive?

5. The above telemetry data also needs to be transmitted to a laptop computer via a wireless link with a maximum required transmission range of 1km (0.6 mile). Can the Overo AirSTORM COM be used to both transmit the data and a second Overo AirSTORM COM be used to receive the data at the other end of the link and input this data via a USB port into the laptop computer?

6. Finally, can I input analog input signals into an Overo AirSTORM COM either via a RoboVero or directly via the Overo AirSTROM COM board, again at an estimated input frequency of 15Hz? These analog signals will become inputs into a C code control program running on an Overo AirSTORM COM board.

Ashley Bryant

This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If this email has been sent to you in error, please notify us immediately and immediately delete from your computer system(s).

Re: Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

adam.yh.lee
This post was updated on .
Hi Ashley,

To answer your first question, I think you can achieve what you want with ROS . Assuming you can trans-receive the floating point PWM values from your laptop to Robovero, you can use ROS libraries to directly output to Robovero's PWM pins (or do a conversion to +/- 1.0 values like you want). I haven't done this myself, and I don't know how well the Robovero API works with ROS, but this is how I would do it.

HOWEVER, if you only have Windows development environment, you can't use ROS as it only runs on Linux.

In regards to your 5th question, what kind of transmitter are you using? I know the wifi that comes with Robovero
(or any 802.11 wifi protocol..) wouldn't reach 1 KM radius.

In regards to your 6th question, 15Hz loop time is ok in my opinion. Of course, it depends on what you do, but I have flown RC helicopters using an Overo and ROS with main loop running at 100 Hz and remote control signals coming in at about 20 Hz I believe.

I think the following two tutorials may give you some pointers:

http://www.hardwarewasteland.net/random/robovero/#contentBegin
http://robovero.org/lab/projects/rainy-day-project-panning-webcam/

Adam

Re: Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

Trev Sheerin
For the question about autogenerating code. I have some experience with this. If you have $3-5k lying around you can pick up Matlab + Simulink + Embedded Coder, which will allow you to write software in Simulink (a graphical programming language like Labview) and generate generic C code for a variety of CPUs. I had to do this with some Simulink code someone else wrote and we ran it on a Verdex Pro just fine at 50 Hz. I haven't looked into cheaper alternatives than Simulink/Embedded Coder, but I imagine it'd be hard to find something similar for cheap/free that does a good job and generates code you can trust. The generated code we had probably could have been optimized a bit, but it was spot on for reproducing the Simulink code functionality.

Once you have the generated code from Simulink, you just have to write some C code that runs a loop or a timer, set up your inputs to the control function, call an entry function to the generated code, and then read your outputs from memory.

As to your telemetry question, I'm not TM expert, but I suspect you might need a decently high powered transmitter, nothing stock on the COM will do 1 km, and I'm not sure you'll find anything that'll get that range without corporate pockets/lots of money. Best I found on a quick look through Sparkfun was 500m. But again, I'm a programmer, not a TM engineer.

http://www.ros.org ROS  . Assuming you can trans-receive the floating point
PWM values from your laptop to Robovero, you can use ROS libraries to
directly output to Robovero's PWM pins (or do a conversion to +/- 1.0 values
like you want). I haven't done this myself, and I don't know how well the
Robovero API works with ROS, but this is how I would do it.

HOWEVER, if you only have Windows development environment, you can't use ROS
as it only runs on Linux.

In regards to your 5th question, what kind of transmitter are you using? I
know the wifi that comes with Robovero
(or any 802.11 wifi protocol..) wouldn't reach 1 KM radius.

In regards to your 6th question, 15Hz loop time is ok in my opinion. Of
course, it depends on what you do, but I have flown RC helicopters using an
Overo with main loop running at 100 Hz and remote control signals coming in
at about 20 Hz I believe.

I think the following two tutorials may give you some pointers:

http://www.hardwarewasteland.net/random/robovero/#contentBegin
http://robovero.org/lab/projects/rainy-day-project-panning-webcam/

Adam

Trev Sheerin

Re: Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

derekjchow
Hi Ashley,

Sending 6 PWM signals should be possible as the Robovero has 6 PWM
outputs. Receiving should be harder. You'll probably need to use
interrupts to read the values off the different input pins. This means
that you can't just use the Python Client Library for Robovero, you'll
likely need to modify the firmware.

Derek

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Ashley Bryant [via Gumstix]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could you advise on the following questions please…
>

> 1. I want to receive 6 RC transmitter PWM input signals ( / channels) and
> convert these signals into floating point variables (+/- 1.0) that will then
> become inputs into a control program running on an Overo AirSTORM COM. Can
> this be achieved using a RoboVero extension board and if so, could you
> outline how this would be achieved please?
>

> 2. At the end of processing on the Overo AirSTORM COM, I want to be able to
> recreate different PWM output signals for analog or digital servos. The
> number of output signals / channels could range between 6 and 12. Can this
> be achieved using a single RoboVero extension board, and again if so, could
> you outline how this would be achieved please?
>

> 3. Does anyone have any experience generating control system C code (C or
> C++) on a Windows XP or Windows 7 platform and then porting this C code to
> run on an Overo AirSTORM COM? Any advice as to how easy it would be to
> implement such a software development process would be gratefully received.
>

> 4. Can someone advise as to whether the RoboVero USB port can be used to
> write up to 34Mb of data in real time at a frequency of up to 15Hz to a
> flash drive?
>

> 5. The above telemetry data also needs to be transmitted to a laptop
> computer via a wireless link with a maximum required transmission range of
> 1km (0.6 mile). Can the Overo AirSTORM COM be used to both transmit the data
> and a second Overo AirSTORM COM be used to receive the data at the other end
> of the link and input this data via a USB port into the laptop computer?
>

> 6. Finally, can I input analog input signals into an Overo AirSTORM COM
> either via a RoboVero or directly via the Overo AirSTROM COM board, again at
> an estimated input frequency of 15Hz? These analog signals will become
> inputs into a C code control program running on an Overo AirSTORM COM board.
>

> Ashley Bryant
>

> This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain information
> that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If this
> email has been sent to you in error, please notify us immediately and
> immediately delete from your computer system(s).

> NAML

Re: Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

thor Farrish

5. The above telemetry data also needs to be transmitted to a laptop computer via a wireless link with a maximum required transmission range of 1km (0.6 mile). Can the Overo AirSTORM COM be used to both transmit the data and a second Overo AirSTORM COM be used to receive the data at the other end of the link and input this data via a USB port into the laptop computer?

You might look at the DigiKey ZigBee PRO modules.  Easy to integrate, and LOS
distances up to 10km at reasonably low power.  I've used them w/Overo's and
laptops before.

Cheers!

-thor-

Re: Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

Alex Gibson-3
On 29/05/2012 4:00 AM, Trev Sheerin wrote:
> experience with this. If you have $3-5k lying around you can pick up
> Matlab + Simulink

If you are a student(or an academic), matlab with simulink is $99 or at
least here in Australia or the faculty should have it installed in a few
labs or on their hpc cluster.

http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/bookshop/show/9780982583852
"Student Version includes R2012a versions of 10 products, and runs on
Windows, Mac, and Linux. Student Version R2012a also includes built-in
Windows support for prototyping, testing, and running models on low-cost
target hardware, including Arduino, LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT, and BeagleBoard."

Alex

Re: Advice on Overo AirSTROM COM and RoboVero

acsmith
Hi Ashley,

I just came across this old thread.  If you're still looking on ways to achieve this let me know.  I've already done a lot of what you're looking to do on a Robovero with an Overo FireSTORM.

I don't want to keep a dead thread alive unless the original poster is still looking for advice.  If others are interested please start a new thread and I'll post more detailed information.

Andrew