Quantcast

Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Nader Rahimizad
Hi Guys, I have finally ran out of patience to deal with the broken Angstrom and Openembedded since after a month of fiddling with it, I still have not been able to build a complete and up-to-date platform using any of the available recipes without finding broken .bb's!

would anyone be interested in working with me to help build a up-to-date poky build system for Overo boards? If so, please let me know so that we can exchange on google+ or Skype...

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Jean-Claude Monnin
Hi Nader,

Have a look at Schnitzeltony's meta-gumstix repository:
https://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix
With that layer, you can build the software using an oe-core environment.

Btw, I've experienced some issues on Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot to build Angstrom 2011.03 (according to the instructions on gumstix.org). Using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, it was straightforward. I don't think it's broken.

Cheers,

Jean-Claude

On Jan 25, 2012, at 05:16 , Nader Rahimizad wrote:

> Hi Guys, I have finally ran out of patience to deal with the broken Angstrom
> and Openembedded since after a month of fiddling with it, I still have not
> been able to build a complete and up-to-date platform using any of the
> available recipes without finding broken .bb's!
>
> would anyone be interested in working with me to help build a up-to-date
> poky build system for Overo boards? If so, please let me know so that we can
> exchange on google+ or Skype...

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

JamesAng

Steve's seems to be working on the new OE-core too if you take at look at his repo.

I'm also vexed by the incompatibilities of using Ubuntu 11.10 x64 as the host and breaking several recipes.

Let's hope GS's folks and Steve will release a new build system on OE-core in the coming weeks ahead.

James.

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Philip Balister
On 01/24/2012 11:16 PM, Nader Rahimizad wrote:
> Hi Guys, I have finally ran out of patience to deal with the broken Angstrom
> and Openembedded since after a month of fiddling with it, I still have not
> been able to build a complete and up-to-date platform using any of the
> available recipes without finding broken .bb's!

Angstrom is part of the OpenEmbedded project, which the same thing Poky
is based on.

The issue us the version gumstix publishes is based on OE classic not OE
Core. Upstream Angstrom is maintained and up to date.

Philip

> would anyone be interested in working with me to help build a up-to-date
> poky build system for Overo boards? If so, please let me know so that we can
> exchange on google+ or Skype...

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Trevor Woerner-6
I have outlined the steps to build a root filesystem for an overo
using buildroot in the wiki here:
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Category:How_to_-_Buildroot_overo

But I have only tested using Qemu (the one from Linaro)
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Overo_emulation_in_qemu

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Nader Rahimizad
It looks like Steve Sakoman has been quietly working on Yocto images for Overo too :) Thank GOD...

So far based on the little research that i have done this past weekend, Yocto is COOOL... I would love to dig up the Overo BSP, and learn how to use their nice graphics front end for Bitbake (called Hob V2) and get them all working on a Ubuntu 11.04 running as a Parallels 7 VM on my iMac. As I learn how to get the Yocto Eclipse IDE plugin (it includes remote debugging for onboard debug), and it includes the open embedded core as the guys mentioned above... I will try to document each step of the process until i have a fully functioning overo board using all these cool tools. Here is the link that found to Steve's Yocto images for Overo, as you notice from the dates, it is just a day old! SUPER COOL STEVE, Thanks...

Steve's Overo Images on Yocto:
http://feeds.sakoman.com/feeds/yocto/images/overo/

OE-Core metadata:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/openembedded-core

Eclipse Plugin:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/eclipse-ide-plug

and finally HOB GUI front end for Bitbake:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/hob

Happy bit baking guys...

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Steve Sakoman
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Nader Rahimizad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like Steve Sakoman has been quietly working on Yocto images for
> Overo too :) Thank GOD...

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm a bit, but it is a bit premature to
jump to Yocto unless your recipe needs are quite limited.

For example, if you are hoping to build something like my current
GNOME image you will find it quite impossible -- there are still
*many* missing recipes in the oe-core/meta-oe layers. I suspect that
it will be many months before I can duplicate on Yocto the GNOME image
I build with oe-classic.

If you are happy with console type images then you will probably do
just fine switching to Yocto.

> So far based on the little research that i have done this past weekend,
> Yocto is COOOL... I would love to dig up the Overo BSP, and learn how to use
> their nice graphics front end for Bitbake (called Hob V2) and get them all
> working on a Ubuntu 11.04 running as a Parallels 7 VM on my iMac.

I really wanted to like Hob, but have to admit that I stopped using it
after a couple of days. If you are an OE beginner working on a single
image for a single project you might find it useful.  An experienced
OE user will likely prefer to do things the old way. YMMV . . .

As a low level kind of guy I don't use eclipse so can't comment on
whether is is good or not.

Finally I should do my standard disclaimer -- my git repositories
should be considered experimental and should be used at your own risk.
 While I like bug reports (especially if they have proven patches
attached) I make no guarantee that I'll do anything with them.  My
consulting clients get first priority on my time, then personal
projects, then if I have cycles & inclination, random bug reports.  If
your needs align with one of the first 2 categories then you may find
the repos useful.

Steve

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Nader Rahimizad
Thanks so much Steve, Just knowing that you are on case, is good enough for me... I am not in a rush for the Gnome GUI since the only reason i used it before was to get the Caspa-px tested and if i can build a minimum image that simply streams the camera/mic output in H264 and control a few PWM I/O lines when remotely instructed, is good enough for my purpose of managing my wifi controlled R/C robot... For my needs as a high level C/C# developer, I can't live without a good IDE/Edit and remote debugging and if Eclipse is the only choice (actually Netbeans was very nice too for remote debugging and coding), then so be it... Just knowing that there are experts like you around to ensure the low level board kernel and drivers are working properly is a major, major relief in using embedded linux vs. Win CE 7...

Thanks so much for all your hard work and support for this stuff. Cheers

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM, JamesAng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Let's hope GS's folks and Steve will release a new build system on OE-core
> in the coming weeks ahead.

Is there any way Steve Sakoman's and Andreas Müller's efforts could
come together, preferably as an official gumstix repository?

Re: Abandoning the broken (obsolete) Angstrom/OpenEmbedded platform in favor or Poky!

Nader Rahimizad
Thanks, Andreas scripts were cool and fully automated the entire download and build process. Here is what i did for Andrea's script to build an image:

mkdir ~/oe

git clone git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/setup-scripts ~/oe

git checkout origin/oe-core -b oe-core

# Now i have ~/oe/build ~/oe/conf ~/oe/scripts and ~/oe/sources which is created after i run the script:

cd /~/oe

chmod +x ./oebb.sh config overo

# then i had to add MACHINE ?= "overo" to ~/oe/conf/local.conf since somehow auto.conf was being ignored by bit bake! here is my new local.conf file:

# CONF_VERSION is increased each time build/conf/ changes incompatibly
CONF_VERSION = "1"

MACHINE ?= "overo"

INHERIT += "rm_work"

# Which files do we want to parse:
BBMASK = ""

# What kind of images do we want?
IMAGE_FSTYPES += "tar.bz2"

# Make use of SMP:
#   PARALLEL_MAKE specifies how many concurrent compiler threads are spawned per bitbake process
#   BB_NUMBER_THREADS specifies how many concurrent bitbake tasks will be run
PARALLEL_MAKE     = "-j2"
BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "2"

DISTRO   = "angstrom-2010.x"

# Don't generate the mirror tarball for SCM repos, the snapshot is enough
BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS = "0"

# Disable build time patch resolution. This would lauch a devshell
# and wait for manual intervention. We disable it.
PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"

#add custom images to be added to the build here
IMAGE_INSTALL += ""

#then i modified ~/oe/conf/bblayers.conf to add gumstix and meta-ti and remove all the other non-essentials for overo board as follows:

# LAYER_CONF_VERSION is increased each time build/conf/bblayers.conf
# changes incompatibly
LCONF_VERSION = "4"
TOPDIR := "${@os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(d.getVar('FILE', True)))}"

BBPATH = "${TOPDIR}"

BBFILES = ""

# These layers hold recipe metadata not found in OE-core, but lack any machine or distro content
BASELAYERS ?= " \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-efl \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-gpe \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-gnome \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-xfce \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-opie \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-java \
"

# These layers hold machine specific content, aka Board Support Packages
BSPLAYERS ?= " \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-ti \
"

# Add your overlay location to EXTRALAYERS
# Make sure to have a conf/layers.conf in there
EXTRALAYERS ?= "${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-gumstix"

BBLAYERS = " \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-angstrom \
  ${BASELAYERS} \
  ${BSPLAYERS} \
  ${EXTRALAYERS} \
  ${TOPDIR}/sources/openembedded-core/meta \
  "

#then i modified ~/oe/sources/layers.txt and added gumstix layer at the end as follows:

# Name,repo-uri,branch,rev
bitbake,git://github.com/openembedded/bitbake.git,master,HEAD
meta-angstrom,git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/meta-angstrom,master,HEAD
meta-openembedded,git://github.com/openembedded/meta-oe.git,master,HEAD
meta-ti,git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/meta-texasinstruments,master,HEAD
meta-ettus,git://github.com/balister/meta-ettus.git,master,HEAD
meta-efikamx,git://github.com/kraj/meta-efikamx.git,master,HEAD
meta-nslu2,git://github.com/kraj/meta-nslu2.git,master,HEAD
meta-smartphone,http://git.shr-project.org/repo/meta-smartphone.git,master,HEAD
meta-intel,git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel,master,HEAD
meta-xilinx,git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-xilinx,master,HEAD
meta-openpandora,git://github.com/openpandora/meta-openpandora.git,master,HEAD
meta-handheld,git://git.openembedded.org/meta-handheld,master,HEAD
meta-opie,git://github.com/bluelightning/meta-opie.git,master,HEAD
meta-java,git://github.com/woglinde/meta-java.git,master,HEAD
meta-mozilla,git://github.com/OSSystems/meta-mozilla.git,master,HEAD
openembedded-core,git://github.com/openembedded/oe-core.git,master,HEAD
meta-gumstix,git://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix.git,master,HEAD

# Finally, i sourced the hidden script to set the proper path and the environment:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Environment setup environment for oe
#
. /home/nader/.oe/environment-oecore
MACHINE=overo bitbake console-image

and this was the smoothest build to date!!! on ubuntu 10.04 of course. the scripts didn't work on ubuntu 11.10 and i have no idea what the magical formula would be to get this working on 11.10.

Anyone knows the magic to upgrade to 11.10 and still have a working build environment?

Cheers