Quantcast

A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

srmaddox
Hello all,

My Gumstix Air COM & Robovero just recently arrived; I've been reviewing the forums and a lot of the documentation out there, but there's a couple things that seem to be lacking.

I see that the Python API is available, and works great to demonstrate examples when executed on a host PC. It does not appear to function or be designed to function from on the gumstix COM itself.

Is there an easy way to gain access to these same features, but from the shell of the COM itself? As if to prototype/test programming and robotics concepts without requiring a serial connection (maintaining a USB connection on an ariel vehicle is..difficult at best!)

I don't seem to see any mention of a way to use the python client library in any kind of persistent manner once the serial connection is removed.

Re: A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

Danny Chan
Do you know about the HubCommander interface (http://robovero.org/index.php/tutorials/53)? To access the Robovero from the Gumstix COM you need to disconnect the USB cable.

Re: A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

srmaddox
So, i'd be able to disconnect from USB, ssh over the network and execute the examples as well? I can program the COM over SSH if necessary.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Danny Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you know about the HubCommander interface
(http://robovero.org/index.php/tutorials/53)? To access the Robovero from
the Gumstix COM you need to disconnect the USB cable.

Sean R. Maddox
(817) 381-6823 (Google Voice)

Re: A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

Neil MacMunn
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:47 AM, S.R. Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My Gumstix Air COM & Robovero just recently arrived; I've been reviewing the
> forums and a lot of the documentation out there, but there's a couple things
> that seem to be lacking.
>
> I see that the Python API is available, and works great to demonstrate
> examples when executed on a host PC. It does not appear to function or be
> designed to function from on the gumstix COM itself.

Thanks for pointing that out. The PCL does work on Overo. Something
like this should do the trick with Angstrom.

 # wget https://github.com/robovero/python/tarball/master
 # tar -xf robovero-python.tar.gz (or whatever it saves as)
 # opkg update
 # opkg install python
 # opkg install python-modules
 # opkg install python-pyserial

Let me know if I've missed any steps and I will add these instructions
to RoboVero.org

> Is there an easy way to gain access to these same features, but from the
> shell of the COM itself? As if to prototype/test programming and robotics
> concepts without requiring a serial connection (maintaining a USB connection
> on an ariel vehicle is..difficult at best!)

Establish a wireless connection as per
http://robovero.org/index.php/wireless and ssh to it.

-
Neil

Re: A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

srmaddox
Im guessing the issue i was having was HubCommander -

root@overo:~/robovero/python# python servo.py
No RoboVero hardware found.
Exception AttributeError: "'Robovero' object has no attribute 'serial'" in <bound method Robovero.__del__ of <robovero.internals.Robovero object at 0x404e90d0>> ignored

when connected via USB serial console and executing python servo.py

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Neil MacMunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:47 AM, S.R. Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My Gumstix Air COM & Robovero just recently arrived; I've been reviewing the
> forums and a lot of the documentation out there, but there's a couple things
> that seem to be lacking.
>
> I see that the Python API is available, and works great to demonstrate
> examples when executed on a host PC. It does not appear to function or be
> designed to function from on the gumstix COM itself.

Thanks for pointing that out. The PCL does work on Overo. Something
like this should do the trick with Angstrom.

 # wget https://github.com/robovero/python/tarball/master
 # tar -xf robovero-python.tar.gz (or whatever it saves as)
 # opkg update
 # opkg install python
 # opkg install python-modules
 # opkg install python-pyserial

Let me know if I've missed any steps and I will add these instructions
to RoboVero.org

> Is there an easy way to gain access to these same features, but from the
> shell of the COM itself? As if to prototype/test programming and robotics
> concepts without requiring a serial connection (maintaining a USB connection
> on an ariel vehicle is..difficult at best!)

Establish a wireless connection as per
http://robovero.org/index.php/wireless and ssh to it.

-
Neil

Sean R. Maddox
(817) 381-6823 (Google Voice)

Re: A couple "Getting Started" topics for the robovero

Danny Chan
Instructions have been added :)

http://robovero.org/index.php/python-client-library