720Mhz @ 65C == Unstable Overo

AJ ONeal-3
If I put a gumstix in a temperature chamber at 65C and run it at 720MHz it seems that programs will crash.

Is it not rated to operate normally up to 85C @ 720MHz?

For example I have a simple webserver that just sends back "Hello World! <<count>>" (where count is the request number).
while true
do
    curl http://localhost/
done

This seems to run forever at normal temperatures, but at high temperature bash or curl will crash within an hour or two.
I'm still trying to determine if heat is the only varying factor.

AJ ONeal

Re: 720Mhz @ 65C == Unstable Overo

Bob Cochran
The Overo FE is rated -40C to 85 C except for the Bluetooth module which
is rated to 75 C. Some Overos are rated to 0C to 75C and others to 0C to
85C. You can check the gumstix.com product pages.

The expansion boards have their own temperature ratings. A quick check
of a few show them rated from 0C to 85C however I was by no means
comprehensive in checking the ratings.

I am not sure of the temperature rating of micro-SD card materials or
any materials you used to mount the expansion board. If you soldered
devices on the expansion board or Overo, that can influence the
temperature performance of the module too....as in...what is the
temperature range of the solder and devices?

It doesn't seem surprising to me that Overo modules might show some
problems when stressed to near their temperature limits.

Bob Cochran

On 04/19/2011 04:37 PM, AJ ONeal wrote:

> If I put a gumstix in a temperature chamber at 65C and run it at
> 720MHz it seems that programs will crash.
>
> Is it not rated to operate normally up to 85C @ 720MHz?
>
> For example I have a simple webserver that just sends back "Hello
> World! <<count>>" (where count is the request number).
> while true
> do
>     curl http://localhost/
> done
>

> This seems to run forever at normal temperatures, but at high
> temperature bash or curl will crash within an hour or two.
> I'm still trying to determine if heat is the only varying factor.
>
> AJ ONeal

> Benefiting from Server Virtualization: Beyond Initial Workload
> Consolidation -- Increasing the use of server virtualization is a top
> priority.Virtualization can reduce costs, simplify management, and improve
> application availability and disaster protection. Learn more about boosting
> the value of server virtualization. http://p.sf.net/sfu/vmware-sfdev2dev

Re: 720Mhz @ 65C == Unstable Overo

Alex Gibson-3
On 20/04/2011 6:37 AM, AJ ONeal wrote:
If I put a gumstix in a temperature chamber at 65C and run it at 720MHz it seems that programs will crash.

Is it not rated to operate normally up to 85C @ 720MHz?

For example I have a simple webserver that just sends back "Hello World! <<count>>" (where count is the request number).
while true
do
    curl http://localhost/
done

This seems to run forever at normal temperatures, but at high temperature bash or curl will crash within an hour or two.
I'm still trying to determine if heat is the only varying factor.

AJ ONeal

Is that with or without a heat sink ?

For all the gumstix we used/using outdoors we've added heatsinks and put fans on the boxes.
In summer ambient air temp can hit 45*C here and in the sun we've recorded equipment boxes hitting 60*C.

Alex

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology, Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Re: 720Mhz @ 65C == Unstable Overo

AJ ONeal-3

Only the Fire FE is rated to 85C, and that's only at 600MHz.  Also even on the FE the wireless/sd ports are only rated to 65C.

Looks like some correction needs to be made to the marketing material?

Can we get a table showing at what temperatures and speeds we can expect normal operation?
And perhaps some advice for heatsinks? (I would imagine that fans are not an option for most of us)

Temperatures: Built with components rated 0C < T <85C

Earth, Water, Tide:
http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_33&products_id=211

Temperatures: Built with components rated 0C < T <75C

Air, Fire

AJ ONeal

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM, AJ ONeal <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I put a gumstix in a temperature chamber at 65C and run it at 720MHz it seems that programs will crash.

Is it not rated to operate normally up to 85C @ 720MHz?

For example I have a simple webserver that just sends back "Hello World! <<count>>" (where count is the request number).
while true
do
    curl http://localhost/
done

This seems to run forever at normal temperatures, but at high temperature bash or curl will crash within an hour or two.
I'm still trying to determine if heat is the only varying factor.

AJ ONeal

Re: 720Mhz @ 65C == Unstable Overo

Ben Johnson
Alex,
  Just out of curiosity, where do you get your heat sinks?  Or anyone
for that matter?

Thanks,
Ben

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Alex Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/04/2011 6:37 AM, AJ ONeal wrote:
>
> If I put a gumstix in a temperature chamber at 65C and run it at 720MHz it
> seems that programs will crash.
> Is it not rated to operate normally up to 85C @ 720MHz?
> For example I have a simple webserver that just sends back "Hello World!
> <<count>>" (where count is the request number).
> while true
> do
>     curl http://localhost/
> done
>
> This seems to run forever at normal temperatures, but at high temperature
> bash or curl will crash within an hour or two.
> I'm still trying to determine if heat is the only varying factor.
> AJ ONeal
>

> Is that with or without a heat sink ?
>
> For all the gumstix we used/using outdoors we've added heatsinks and put
> fans on the boxes.
> In summer ambient air temp can hit 45*C here and in the sun we've recorded
> equipment boxes hitting 60*C.
>
> Alex
>
> ________________________________
>
> UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
> DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
> confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not
> read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are
> those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
> authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology, Sydney.
> Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Re: 720Mhz @ 65C == Unstable Overo

Robert Vogt IV
Digikey.  Recommend the 16x16 or 18x18 with self-adhesive thermal tape.

Robert Vogt IV
CEO
IOSiX, LLC
2375 Parkwood Ave
Ypsilanti, MI  48198
[hidden email]
P: 734-730-9690
F: 734-482-2337

On 21/04/2011 2:43 AM, Ben Johnson wrote:
> Alex,
>    Just out of curiosity, where do you get your heat sinks?  Or anyone
> for that matter?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

jaycar (or their wholesale company electus)
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HH8580&CATID=45&form=CAT&SUBCATID=751
<http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HH8580&CATID=45&form=CAT&SUBCATID=751>

Same as the stick on heatsinks for ram on video cards

or some things from a reseller (sparkfun , jaycar and others) even
though they can be rather pricey
http://www.littlebirdelectronics.com/

Problem here is most places have a rather bad range
or like Arrow require stupidly high minimum order quantities.

So have to use digikey for those items.

Plus at the moment with our dollar nice and high compared to US$
its cheap to buy from the US even with shipping.

Alex